Cable Modems and Network Routers

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by jeffmorris, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    A few days ago, my old Toshiba cable modem broke down and I had to get a new ******** SB5101 cable modem. My Linksys BEFSR41 network router doesn't work with the new cable modem. Resetting the network router to factory defaults didn't work. I had to disconnect the network router from my system. Yesterday, I was not able to log into the Internet and I thought that there's a problem with the new cable modem. My sister called the cable TV company but they won't send anyone out until Thursday (next week). This morning, I turned on my system and found out that the cable modem was working! While searching the Internet two days ago, I found out that some people have problems using Linksys network routers with cable modems. Do I need new network router not made by Linksys? I have Microsoft XBOX360 game console connected to the network router.

2. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

I have never had a problem with any of the Linksys routers I have used with a cable modem. I'm currently using a SURFboard SB5101 w/ a Linksys WRT54G with no issues.

Have you tried updating the BEFSR41's firmware? Link to download page

By the way when it comes to residential networking Linksys is the best in my book. So if you do upgrade your router stick with Linksys.

3. qda

qda Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Hmm.. I'd do a bit of research before going with a router simply based on its brand name - I've seen some real duds with Linksys.

Can you also be more specific when you say the Linksys router 'doesn't work' - does it have lights on, does it assign an IP, can you log into it via browser, does it see WAN, etc..

4. richei

richei Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT / 512 Meg

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    The problem with my network router connected to the new cable modem is that I can't go on the Internet unless I reset the network router using its reset button. I tried to update the network router's firmware but it failed. I found an older network hub and it worked.

6. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

When you say failed do you mean it did not take the firmware update? If so try doing the firmware update without the cable modem attached. So just you PC being the only device attached to the router. If after that it still fails then most likely the router has seen better days.

Does it still work as a network hub? If so consider this a unfortunate hardware downgrade but not a totally loss.

7. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    Who is your cable company? And, I assume you called your cable company and had them provision the new modem? ie.. gave them the MAC address of your new M-O-torRo-lla (why is Mot-orolla censored?)

If I want to add a new router to my cable modem, I unplug the power to the modem and then connect the router (router is NOT powered up at this point) to the modem, power up the modem and wait until its provisioned on the network, then I power up the router, so the modem can grab the MAC address of the router and report that back to the CMTS, which will allow my workstations to access the internet thru the router.

You could try the above steps in trying to get your router to work.

8. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    After disconnecting the cable modem from the network router, I tried to update the firmware on my network router but after a few minutes, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" or similar message. I tried several times before giving up and using the older network hub. My ISP is Staten Island Cable's Road Runner.

9. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

What revision is the router, also under the status tab what is the firmware version?

Hum M-o-t-o-r-o-l-a is censored lol. Reminds me of a site that censored eBay and Newegg

10. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Network Router version - 4.1
    Firmware version on router - 1.04.06
    Latest Firmware version - 1.04.09

I found out that the latest version of network router is 4.3.

11. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    OK lets start from the top.
    1. When you bought your new modem, and brought it home and connected it did you call your ISP?
    2. Can you access the routers config page from your PC? ie. 192.168.x.x /24
    3. Can you access the modems status page from behind your router?
    modem status page at 192.168.100.1
    4. Did you try the power down modem & router, left off for a few minutes, then power up modem, leaving router power unplugged until modem was provisioned and online with ISP, then powering up router?
    5. Connecting just one pc to modem allows you to get online, right?

12. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    1. I didn't have my sister call my ISP.
    2 and 3. I can access the router's config page from Internet Explorer.
    4. The router doesn't have a power switch. I turn on/off my system except the computer itself from the UPS's power switch. If I wait for the modem to go online before turning my computer on, it works without the router.
    5. Connecting my computer directly to modem worked.

13. zinjin

zinjin Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga
    Lets try this.
    Unplug power to BOTH modem and router, disconnect patch cable from modem to router.
    Wait a few min, then plug power into modem and let it sync.
    Plug power into router, verify connectivity to router from PC.
    Plug patch cable from WAN port on router to modem.
    Verify connectivity.

Obviously your internet works after the modem reports back the MAC address to the CMTS to allow a device to access the internet. Some where in between these steps it is not grabbing the MAC address of your router.