Buying New 9800Gt, is my PSU sufficient??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Einahpets Gynn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Naw, the games will run fine just tad slower from your CPU but once your new stuff comes in you can just swap it out and it'll be fine. Of course if you have onboard GPU you might have to disable that (from the bios) and reinstall the drivers for the new card.

2. Zap

Zap Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600 GT 256MB
    You could get one of the "low power" 9800 GT or 9600 GT. Those don't use much more power than the 8600 GT (around 66W).

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you going to use the 250w PSU with that? I'll be surprised if it even boots....

4. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I think it's just gonna go kaboom!

5. Lol uhhh I am getting the Lower powered 9800GT by PNY, did some research it seems pretty decent and I'm going to use a 600W PSU, But i'm definitely in for a bottleneck but how bad of one? :) with the single core 2.2GHZ

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What resolution will you be gaming at? Simply put - the higher the res the less the bottleneck.

7. Uhhhh...not much really, 1024x768 or 1280x1024 for the most :)

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Probably will bottleneck a bit then, but I can't give you specifics as to what your fps will etc. What games will you be running on it?

9. Thinking Dmc4, NFSMW, P.U.R.E, Most importantly STREET FIGHTER 4, Fifa 2009 possible 2010 if it's made, but I just bought this motherboard and I'm getting an intel 2.5Ghz dual core CPU, But I'm putting it in around the 18th. Would the 2.5 core help at all?
    http://www.biostar-europe.com/v3/app/de/mb/content.php?S_ID=363# "Biostar G31-m7te"

10. And I also got the E5200 intel processor to go with it :)

11. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    you asked earlier about pny?my personal experience,they junk

12. Well to anyone who's still reading this and was following up on the story, I just loaded the card into the pc and it works awesome, I haven't switched mobo's yet and I'm still using the 2.2GHz CPU..and honestly?..I've yet to feel it bottleneck..occasionally under heavy load I get a MINOR stutter..and I'm playing prototype on almost full settings atm..but tomorrow I'll see the full potential of this thing =D

13. o_O..Why you say tho??

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    That not really whats called a bottleneck.

A bottleneck is Your FPS not going any higher than say a random number like 43 fps, because the Cpu isnt quick enough to get the data to the Gfx card.

The higher ur res and AA the less bottleneck, meaning, you might find that putting higher Graphics Dont lower ur fps, This means ur cpu is still bottlenecked.

In other words, its fine, just dont expect Miracles :p

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    . Lol.....you'll be fine mate, don't panic. Game On ;)

16. xD o_O...see this is the reason I joined this forum xD, getting the rest of the stuff today so I'll update everyone on the process.

17. You all know what I had before, and this is my new-er rig, I'm honestly dazzled by the performance of this thing, Thanks to everyone I was able to build a new(er) rig, I went from the simple question of is my PSU sufficient for this GPU and I ended up building an entire new pc xD, I'm looking to build another one quite soon so I will be asking more questions. Thanks again everyone :)
    Motherboard: Biostar G-31 M7 TE
    CPU: Intel E5200 Overclocked to 3.2GHz
    GPU: PNY Nvidia 9800GT 512MB EE
    Memory: DDR2 2GB
    PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus RS-500W
    HDD: WD Caviar SE 320GB