Buying New 9800Gt, is my PSU sufficient??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Einahpets Gynn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    what cpu do you have?

2. Compaq Sr2020NX, 2GB DDR2 Ram, 2.2Ghz AMD 64 3500 processor, Nvidia something motherboard, Nvidia 8600 Gt Video card (Soon to be 9800GT) 250W PSU atm (soon to be 600W)

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    If that's a single core cpu, then I suspect a major bottleneck with 9800GT...

4. Yeah single core CPU, when you say "bottleneck"..what you talking about willis?

5. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    a "bottle neck" is when your GPU is a lot more powerful than your CPU. In other words, the GPU will be processing information very fast, and you CPU will not be able to keep up with the pace of GPU. When that happens, you don't get all of the performance from the GPU.

6. rimmer66

rimmer66 Banned

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC
    That's very sound advice - I always tell people to future proof their system and at least get an overrated PSU - at least you know it won't be working overtime constantly, and stability wise a good thing.

7. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    willis? Bruce Willis?:D

[​IMG]

8. Crap..Lol I thought this would be easier, so......am I thinking of getting a new board as well? Okay..So...I might just wanna build a new pc..xD question tho, how do I know if my board (assuming that I'm going to buy a new one) supports PCI-E? is it usually stated? and what advantage do Nvidia motherboards have over others when using a nvidia card with it, does it matter??

9. Okay yeah, I'm definitely doing a complete makeover, I just got home from work and found that my PC kept beeping and won't come on, then opened it up and the fan on my video card is hanging by a thread...no idea why the pc doesn't move from where it is, I tried plugging the monitor back to the original integrated graphics card, I hear the same beeps, I try removing the RAM and nothing changes, I got a day off on Tuesday i'll go get a new motherboard, PSU & case, the 9800 is coming by Friday, and I'm hoping my RAM is still functional, my HDD seems pretty fine, and if it's not F it, I'll get a new one too, any advise on what I should be looking for?

10. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Since you already bought the GPU, I'd look for a mobo with SLI support, in case you ever want to add another 9800 later for a low cost performance boost.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Wow. From getting a new GPU over a PSU to a whole new PC in just 4 days. Impressive. :D

Here's a guide how to setup a PC, btw:

Setting Up PC Hardware- A full guide
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=237103

Besides that, I'd almost suggest starting a new thread in this section, now:

General Hardware
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

You're going to get more help in the "General Hardware" section, since you're looking for a whole PC now and not just a GPU/PSU. Just mention what hardware you want to keep and use in the build if possible and how much you are willing to spend on the rest (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.).

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Thats how it usually is lol... I was just shopping for a new CPU and had to hold myself from getting a new motherboard. I just told myself I didnt need to upgrade right now and wait till later :p but when you're browsin the online stores.. its really hard to keep one item in your cart..

13. }{Alienz}{

}{Alienz}{ Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 725/1800/1950
    When I first got my 8800GT I was running it on a 450W with 18a on the 12V rail. It worked PERFECTLY BUT it always kept me on my toes of whether it may be enough...so never overclocked it till I got my new one.

You don't need a 650-750 either. That's expensive if you only have a single 9800GT. Unless you're going to SLI, the 650+ is overkill. If you ARE however going with SLI on those...yes, a 650 would make sense but still 100+ for a PSU is overkill imo.
    Here's what I've been using for the last year and its been running SOLID with my overclocked system.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170010
    It will work fine and I don't think you can beat the price :p

14. Update on my 8600GT: the fan fell off of the GPU itself (I have NO idea how that happened..) anyway just plugged the monitor to the integrated card and I'm just not gonna game until I get my new stuff (Lol..easier said than done)

In any event, I ordered a new mobo and processor today, I thought about the bottle necking thing and got it a dual core, I also considered the SLI support but I don't think I'd need it. Question: How efficient is it and by how much do I get this "low cost performance boost"

I know it's not much but this is the CPU and mobo I opted for, tell me what you guys think with the 9800 slapped onto it, also be mindful that there's a 600W PSU on as well. [Thanks Cyb lol]
    Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131376
    (Btw what on this website says that it's dual core?..I only know cause it's coming with a processor that is dual core..but I'm just asking)

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009

16. What if I SLI it with that build, any word on that cyb?

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    You can't run SLI on that motherboard, I'm afraid. It only has one PCIe x16 slot.

18. Hmmm, Oh well works for mii..

19. Oh wow thanks for the review, I feel alot more confident about my decision after reading that.

20. Uh..if anyone ever tends to read this again, I need your advice on something else tho, my order has been delayed (about a week) so I will have to let the card bottleneck for a few, would that damage it physically? or affect the performance after I input the new CPU and mobo??