Buying New 9800Gt, is my PSU sufficient??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Einahpets Gynn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Well first off I'm getting a new "PNY XLR8 VCG98GTEE5XEB GeForce 9800 GT EE 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    Energy Efficient Edition, up to 30% less energy needed" in a couple days which I'm pretty excited about, I'm currently using a 8600GT Nvidia card from EVGA, my rig is a compaq sr2020nx with 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a 2.2Ghz processor, The stock PSU is 250W, which I've yet to upgrade cause my current card seems to work flawlessly with it, but with Street Fighter 4 coming out in a few days..I need to upgrade :) :banana:, I really don't want to get a new PSU for my system unless really necessary, so I was hoping that someone with any good advice could guide me in the right direction? Is it safe to try the card when it gets here on my current PSU, and if I need a new one, what should I be looking for? Thanks.

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, Einahpets Gynn. :) (Or is it Stephanie? ;))

You definitely need a new one. Look for something around 650 - 750 Watt.

It might be a bit overkill for right now, but it should last you a while, though.

You should be able to find decent ones for around $100 already.

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W - $109.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

3. Thanks Cyb, Hm.. and yes, it is Stephanie :) not many people ever get that, however, if I were to keep my current PSU for atleast a month or so, even then would it affect the performance of the 9800GT immediately, or eventually?

4. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I think the psu might just explode on you:p

I do think you should get like 600w, since I don't think you'll ever need more than that... Some good brand like Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair etc...

Before Cybermancer posted, I was like WTF is Einahpets...

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, it's not worth running the risk as there's always the chance it could fry other components in your PC.

6. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    The PSU in any computer is one of the most vital components that you can buy. Always buy well known brands and just dont go by voltage, always check that their is sufficient amperage for your needs. Never hurts to buy above your requirements, this then gives your pc longevity as you dont need to worry about upgrading it at a later date.

7. Hm..morbias said "fry" and I automatically looked at his avatar and started loling, (if you haven't noticed by now I'm a noob about these things) but why would it fry even if it's the "low powered version" ??

8. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    +1 You will definately need a better PSU. As Cybermancer suggested, look for 650 watts and up. That way you will have some power to spare should you ever need it. Also, look for good brands such as Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Zalman, Antec, etc. Should be a nice upgrade for you :)

- Dlogmorts :nerd:

9. Thanks guys, I'm going to the computer store in a couple hours so I'll definitely check that out, also don't mean to start a debate or nothing..but I've used EVGA and analyzed EVGA's cards for a while now, anyone know if the PNY will perform as well as I want it to? Or should I be rethinking brand such as Gigabyte or XFX or "Sparkle?" (Idk I recently saw it on newegg)

10. YetYhunter

YetYhunter Maha Guru

GPU:
    Jetstream GTX1080
    If you are not planing any other upgrades the corsair HX520 would be largely enough.

11. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    It's a better choice to order online, but it's up to you.

eVGA has lifetime warranty on cards and PNY, Gigabyte and Sparkle lack that, but they perform the same, of course if one card isn't an oc version. Other than that it's just branding, customer service and sometimes cooler.

12. o_O Well I kinda would prefer the newegg-ing and what not, but I live in Saint Lucia (caribbean island) and ordering takes atleast a week or so..and I have little patience when it comes to waiting for stuff online, but your advice is always considered :) in the mean time anything else I should possibly consider about the card? I think it's DDR3 and I'm using a DDR2 compatible board, would that affect anything?

13. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Nope the DDR3 VRAM on the graphics card has nothing to do with the RAM on your motherboard in terms of the question you asked. Your motherboard doesn't need to say DDR3 compatible to run a graphics card with DDR3 VRAM.

Oh and welcome to the Guru. :)

14. Thanks a mill guys, I sourced out a 600W ATX PSU, 24pin which would fit my board and support my 9800 when it comes, thanks a mill you guys were a great help :) (Just installed my HP w2207 monitor :))

15. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    your upgrade is good. but new LCD monitor isn't excellent gaming because any lcd does have still motion blur and viewing angles limited. I recommend you back to crt monitor 17" or better.
    I am very happy for CRT 21" samsung 1100df and for my gpu. :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009

16. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Agreeing with others and to add I wouldn't even attempt to run it on a 250watt PSU. Even if does work it will explode under load (and yes, litterally, a cap will pop and will sound like a big bang!)...

17. Lol wow talk about "popping a cap" xD, I do still have my 17" CRT that I used previously incase this one starts to bitch, I'll wait for the card which probably won't be for another week or so, but when it does I'll update you guys on the performance, what I can and can not run at full and so on, anyone suggest any games I should test it out on? Surprisingly as good as UT3 looks I run it pretty decent on the 8600GT, does anyone think just for fun when I get the new PSU I should overclock my current card on it?..I feel sorta evil xD

18. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Try Crysis: Warhead:nerd:

19. xD Lol What's the diff between Crisis & Crisis:Warhead? (In terms of performance on our cards and Gameplay wise? :)

20. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Warhead should perform a tiny bit better:p And gameplay wise, it should be a bit better, but I haven't really played Crysis, I only tried demo... But I finished Warhead on my friends pc and it was fun and TBH I'd like to play it again...