Buying laptop for max 1500€/1800$

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Manthess, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Manthess

Manthess New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 3850
    Hi,
    I am going to university this year and I would like to buy laptop. I am going to study IT, very likely Graphics field. Therefore, laptop should be suitable for aplications like 3DS Max, Blender, Maya etc. I don't play PC games anymore. Only 2 games I want to play in the future are Mafia 2 and Diablo III. I watch some movies from time to time. I have found several interesting pieces.

Dell Studio 15/17
    Dell Vostro 3500/3700
    Sony Vaio E family
    Sony Vaio F family

But one of my classmates is going to buy ASUS g73jh, what is more powerful yet cheaper laptop than those I mentioned before. Now, I don't need gaming PC, but it is cheaper and more powerful. However, it is Asus. I am not sure whether I should trust Asus. I like Dell and Sony much more as companies and when it comes to design they are better as well. Which one would you suggest? None of these? Feel free to suggest anything else.

Thanks very much
    Manthess

2. EventHorizon

EventHorizon Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7900GS 375/507
  3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Judging from your username, have you SEEN eventhorizon?

It's a WICKED movie that I've seen loads of times and will probably be watching it again soon.

A great sci fi it is, wish there were more like it...

4. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    I am a proud owner of a Dell Studio 1749 (manufactured april 2010) and I can tell you this machine blows anything out of the water for the money. I paid EUR 989 for these specs:
    Core i5 540m 2.53ghz (3.06ghz Turbo), 4gb ddr3 ram, ATi 5650 1gb ddr3 (clocks really well to 725/1100, which is sick, same performance as 5750, roughly 10000 pts in 3dmark06), 1TB storage (2x500gb 7200rpm momentus xt - very kickass hdds), ABGN pro wifi (very nice), and a 1600x900 LED screen (whites are awesome, blacks are really okay, uniformity is good as well). Now on that price I've got EUR 120 discount for not using Windows 7 (you can send them email saying you don't want to use supplied OS), and another EUR 30 rebate for not using supplied antivirus (same story). On top of this i got a 6% EPP program discount (for which im not really eligible, since im not affiliated with dell, but they sure believed me hehehe) so the total was around EUR 770,- which is a-ma-zing price for such a machine. good luck!

P.S. if you're willing to spend a bit more, go with the ENVY 17" from HP, it has everything the same pretty much + aluminium body, larger (marginally) touchpad, and an optional better screen. ATi 5850 is also a nice bonus.