Buying Blank DVDs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Alexstarfire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Never thought I would ask this question. I was looking online to see if I could buy DVD in quantities larger than 100, which it seems you really can't unless you're buying like thousands, and either it's just insanely more expensive to buy DVDs online or I just can find good places to buy blank DVDs. Can seem to find 100-pack DVDs at several local stores for about $15 so I was trying to find them online for less than $.15 a disc. Are there any places you guys know of because I'm only turning up stuff that's $.20 a disc or higher?

And I'm shocked to find out that some places try to sell 4x speed DVDs, not RW or printable mind you, for like $2.50 a disc.

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Dunno, but if you're buying online you should also consider the accompanying S&H cost.
    Personally, I'd just get those 100-disc spindles from local shops whenever available.

About the same as Apple selling $30 adapters to people.
    With that high of a margin (blank DVD-wise), the seller doesn't care if he doesn't sell much; there's always the next schmuck who knows little he can sell it to.

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I usually buy 100 disc spindles as well but not at $2.50/disc....

deltatux

4. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    But why do you want to buy it online (if i understand it right)? I assume you can find it in local stores, or in large malls. I use Verbatim, both under around $2.50/disc (mistake it's $0.2-0.2/disc). they are cheap and very good (x16 and x22 i think, i always record at x8), some of them are old for more then 6 years or so... but it depends on how you store them i guess.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

5. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    That's what I usually do but since I found out that one of my friends also uses a large amount of DVDs I figured it might be cheaper to buy something like 500 online. This seems to be one of a handful of situations where buying online is much more expensive though. Which doesn't make any sense for a product like this.

Even places where I found you could buy like 600 discs they also had the same discs in 100-packs and it was actually cheaper to buy 6x 100 packs in both costs and shipping costs. I feel like I'm back in 1995 when looking at this stuff.

8. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I checked my local Microcenter, they have 100 packs of Windata 16x DVD +R for $14.99. (.$15/each, before tax)

Of course shipping would add to the cost...

9. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    yeah doesn't get much better than $.15 a disc I'm afraid for DVD+R I'd just buy them at the store

I've looked into buying them at Newegg or whatever but it ends up being cheaper at Walgreens even