Buying advice to replace my dying R280

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zeka, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Hi all,

I need some advice on a good replacement for my dying PowerColor Radeon R280 3G.
    This card has been through hell and back with me, I used it and abused it, still works (most of the time).

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, and before that Ubuntu 16.04. Didn't have much issues with drivers.
    Not possible to tweak the card tho, you can forget setting power levels or clocks. It's sort of possible, but saying it's "not user friendly" is a major understatement.

When I was younger I didn't care much about power consumption, but things change when you pay for it yourself, and electricity is expensive in Germany.
    Also, I'm not looking to spend more than 200 - 220€, so basically looking at 5500XT 8GB or 1660 6GB (non-super).

Am I overlooking something? Are there any other options?
    Does anyone have experience with any of these on Ubuntu?

The rest of the old rig:
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
    MB: Gigabyte Z97
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz
    Proc: Intel i5 4590k
    Monitor: 2560x1080

Thank you in advance.

2. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Anyone?

I found some good deals on 1660 Super, so I may go with that.
    However, it seems to me that prices are not realistic, on both sides. Both NV and AMD are pricing these cards probably 20% over what they should be.

3. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Wow so many answers... Thanks for nothing.

4. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Well, I like many others may not have any experience with Ubuntu to give you a proper answer.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're asking about a graphics card for Linux. There are relatively few forum members running Linux as it's not the best OS for gaming.....which this site is heavily geared towards.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    No experience with Linux but apart from that, for your budget and system, surely either the 5500 XT or 1660 (Super) is fine.

Though Radeons seem to suffer from some driver issues but I'm not too familiar with that. Depends on game and other software probably.

Plus the issues are Windows specific most likely.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Life is having it's place, we are not glued to the forum's bullet board.
    Alas, I am one of the few members running Linux and I can share what I know.
    The AMD driver stack , LLVM and Mesa are more stable for each version they release, almost all Radeon users are delighted with "that fine aged wine" Polaris and Vega cards.
    Navi is fairly new and things will improve.
    Ubuntu is a nice distro, stable and supported. But you need more recent Linux kernel iterations to have the latest and greatest driver stack.
    By using some PPAs you can manage to install the latest kernel, or just distro-hop to a rolling release.
    Arch based distros tend to have the latest software, but people shy away having to deal with Arch elitism, RTFM and dealing with issues inherent on a rolling release.
    But it's not like that, I can assure you.
    Running EndeavourOS which is the closest to Arch distro, but without RTFM and with a friendly community.
    Manjaro is a mixed bag, they are somehow in between.

Now, Wattman-GTK can show you pretty much you need and you can find tutorials for undervolting or changing the power plan.

Depending at what resolution you play/work and your budget you will manage with a RX 580 8 GB, or an used Vega.
    Both are very well supported and deliver smooth experience under Linux.
    For the 5500XT you must have latest kernel version, the Navi cards are under heavy development for the driver stack.
    To wit, Nvidia has it's place and also deliver good performance but their driver and not so open attitude towards the Linux community makes it a least desirable choice.
    The System76 Pop_OS have a great distro version geared towards Nvidia users and will install and configure the latest driver iteration, without the hassle.
    So, to conclude:
    Best choice under 200 -RX 580 8 GB
    used Vega 8 GB
    Latest card for 200 5500XT

Nvidia 1660 6GB

For more information, just ask, will try to get back with an answer.

8. Zeka

Zeka Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280
    Thank you all for your answers, I appreciate every bit. I was discouraged after there were no replies in 3 days, I apologize for my bad attitude.

I wanted to go RX580 8GB but found a good deal on 1660 Super for €235. Also, I really want to bring down power consumption.
    Both 5500XT and 5600XT are overpriced, IMHO. Also I imagine I would have issues flashing bios in Ubuntu, for 5600XT. Even if I was prepared to give €320 for a mid tier GPU...

Prices are insane these days, I expected them to come down after crypto-mining craze, but it didn't happen.

I use Steam for Linux, and I find it has a pretty good level of compatibility, after you set up vulcan. Not all Windows games work, but you would be surprised at how many actually work.
    There's also a lot of them that run natively.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I was in your place a few weeks ago.
    I was utterly disappointed with the launch of the RX 5600XT.
    Navi is expensive today. Not that it has to be cheap, only a bit overpriced.
    And if you are using Ubuntu, get the better supported RX 580 8GB.
    For 1080 it is still a fine aged wine and you can play just fine under Proton/Steam.