Buying a Voodoo card

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by RobertPBham, Aug 18, 2003.

1. RobertPBham

RobertPBham Guest

Hi folks,

Now I know Voodoo cards haven't been made for years, but was wondering if anyone knew where I could get hold of a brand new one - if possible. I've found cards on Ebay, but I'm not a fan of second hand kit.....

I've tried all the glide wrappers and non of them seem to work. The game I want to play is Longbow 2 - great, but seem to be stuck with buying a Voodoo card. I've got an Ati 9700 Pro and am using XP. Which is a good point, if I bought one, would I be able to get drivers for it?

Cheers
    Rob

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    You can get the drivers from here, (aka. Guru3D download section ;)) but they will only work for Glide and not for Direct3D (Well you have your Radeon for that). About getting a new one... well to be honest i only think you can get a second hand one.

3. Y2A

Y2A Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 6800 OC (16, 6 400/850)
    Try www.pricewatch.com. Maybe some vendor out there might possess voodoo cards, although I believe it is HIGHLY unlikely :(.

4. dwax

dwax Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950 & VF90

5. T-Rave

T-Rave Guest

Oh I remember wanting one of those Voodoo 5 cards sooo bad. But they were beyond my price range. But not long after drooling over one they disappeared and....sad day. 3Dfx was the best. So I had to get a GeForce 2 instead, but that turned out to be a great card. I still have my Voodoo 3 2000, only thing that lets me play Redgaurd. :)

6. dwax

dwax Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7950 & VF90
    There still a good card for older games.I picked up 2 of them,built a pc for just 3dfx programs.The glide API was a loss I think when they went under.Besides,99$ or a 105$ aint a bad price for a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP.You can always take it to ebay and make a few bucks. :D

7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Longbow2?! oo old days again. i waited to play that game till my first voodoo,5500.that game is great one i think .it runs on software mod but u must see the beauty when it runs on glide.

8. Kurgen

Kurgen Guest

Old days indeed... I remember buzzin' around in my Longbow, bombin' the crap outta all & sundry, until I got painted by a Win95 SAM launcher - one BSOD later and it was back to the hangar for me. Well, actually, it was about 5 BSOD's an hour that finally stopped me playing that otherwise great game.

I wonder how it runs in '98SE, on a V5500? Hmmm... prolly look like crap now anyway... :D

K.