Buying a new PC. A few Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by grenzdebil, Apr 14, 2008.

1. grenzdebil

grenzdebil New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTS 460 1GB
    Greetings dear Gurus.
    I'm planning to upgrade nearly every part of my PC at the end of the month and I'm not sure if all the components are the best choice. So I would appreciate any help that you could give me regarding my questions. I still own a decent 8800 GTS and DVD-Burner so these are the only things I'm going to keep.

These are the components I'm planning to buy:
    Cpu:
    Intel Q6600

Cpu cooler:
    Scythe Orochi or Thermalright IFX-14 with a Scythe SFlex 800rpm

Mobo:
    Asus P5K3 Deluxe/Wifi-AP

Ram:
    4GB G.Skill F2-8000 CL5D-4GBPQ

HD:
    2x 500GB Maxtor STM3500320AS

Sound:
    Creative Xi-Fi

Chassis:
    Thermaltake VG4000BWS XaserVI
    or
    Thermaltake Armor

PSU:
    I don't have any idea :D

Monitor:
    Same as above (mustn't be more than 200 € and should be at least 22" Wide)

Thats an estimated 900-1000 € and the absolute maximum I can afford. Now I would like you to give suggestions on components that should be exchanged or don't work together properly. Until now I haven't thought about the PSU and monitor at all so any suggestion here is appreciated as well. I don't know if the onboard-sound is good enough to exclude the Xi-Fi until next month, so if anyone has already experiences with this mobo I'd like to hear about it. I'm sure the onboard-sound will be better than my actual Audigy LS...

Because I have a huge noise problem with my actual rig, I'm trying to get the new one as silent as possible. Not totally silent but something that doesn't make me think I'm sitting next to a jet-turbine :)

Thanks in advance...
    Yours grenzdebil

edit: I just read the Asus P5K3 Deluxe/Wifi-AP only supports DDR3 RAM. Is this true or did I just misread something?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah, the P5K3 only supports DDR3. I suggest you get like a Gigabyte P35-DS3R, Abit IP35 Pro, Asus P5K. I say look for a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme instead of the Orochi or IFX. And Look at getting the S-Flex 1600RPM fan. A soundcard is almost always better than onboard. I say just get a X-Fi XGamer. For a PSU I would suggest an OCZ GameXStream 600W or 700W. For a monitor I say you should look at the Samsung 223BW