Buying a new car, any experiences with KIA?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Omagana, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Was looking at a VW Polo and Ford Fiesta today and you're quite right Keasy, in terms of additional features no one seems to be able to match Kia on price. For the price of a bottom of the line Polo you can get a Rio with everything in it.

Don't get me wrong I'd love a Polo, but it does feel like you're paying extra for the badge...

2. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    You pay VW for the badge without a doubt.

In terms of cars, you know when you see the one you want and you ultimately should go with the one that feels right.

Good luck, hope you get the right one for you.

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    No you don't believe me, I owned a 2002 Vw Polo and decided I didn't want to put the mileage on it on a journey that I had to do, only 300 or so miles but opted to rent a car. I ended up getting a 2005 Kia Picanto, in every way this car should have been better.

Better equipped, air con, electric windows, stuff my car didn't have
    Better engine, 1.25l vs a 1.2l

The car was utter sh*te worse car I have ever driven. My Polo felt solid, well built and felt like travelling at 80Mph was no issue, the Picanto was utterly gutless and had nothing to give at over 70, it was twitchy at speed to the point that lane changing at speed felt very iffy. Half way there I wish I had taken my own car.

I can't talk for the newer Kia models, at least how they drive but doing audio fitting means you see just how well a car is built when the main part of your job is trying to tear the car to pieces and this is where you find how cheap and nasty some cars can be.

4. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks for the input, I did have the KIA Rio on the motorway during my test drive. Had it up over 70 while I overtook a couple times was smooth. I had hoped to test drive the Polo today, but the figures the salesman was offering me just weren't right I'm afraid.

I'd buy a Polo if I could afford a decent spec (i.e. comes with basics like electric windows, A/C) but I'm only a PhD student, we don't earn a lot. Likewise I've been reading that the Ford fiesta with the 1L Ecoboost engine is fantastic, but again it was simply too expensive for me.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    That's because their sales model is literally based around the lowest out the door MSRP. They get you back with part and maintenance costs down the line. In terms of total cost of ownership, there are a few other brands that are better.

6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Compared to a VW, it should be quite a bit more reliable. The new Fiesta is developing some niggles, though most seem to be related to the DSG style gearbox, which can be avoided with a stick. Though Ford's recent small turbo motors (esp 1.6) have been troublesome, I have no actual knowledge of the 1.0.

The Kia is a solid car, but it is a bland snoozemobile. I was in the same segment and bought a Mazda 2. You loose some toys, but it is a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    It's a car that if it has a 7 year warranty you keep no longer than six. Putting a good quality exhaust system on (not a ricer), and changing some of the bushings to polyurethane would help, especially sway bar D bushings etc.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. The Picanto is a $hitty model but I hear the Rio is better...

The picanto does indeed shake and feel like it's gonna roll over when driving over 70 and especially when changing lanes. The car has skinny ass tyres too.

9. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

In the UK at least, to maintain your 7 year warranty you have to as with all manufacturers have your car serviced annually.

With KIA you DO NOT have to visit a dealership. As long as the garage doing the servicing is a bona fide VAT registered business then you're fine. KIA gets no cut.
    If a part is required you have to use genuine parts but that's no different to any other manufacturer with a warranty AFAIK or have experienced.

I don't mean to sound belligerent, I just don't see where you're coming from.

10. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The dealer did offer me 3 years free servicing after some haggling, I'm going after work today to see if I can bring him down some more.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I mean after the warranty is expired.

12. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Wandered over to Seat today and test drove a Ibiza 1.4 Toca, was quite nice to drive. They offered me an almost identical deal to the 1.25L Kia Rio.

13. nm+

GPU:
    old
    Just say no to VAG products, especially non-diesel ones.

14. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I bought the Ibiza Toca. Was between that and the Rio, Seat just offered me a better deal.

Thanks for the input folks.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Have fun with the new car and fasten your seatbelt ;)

16. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Yeah, happy motoring.

:)

17. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    SEAT looks nice. They have VW engines and transmissions.

18. nm+

GPU:
    old
    You say that like it is a good thing.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    You seem to be hating on VAG for some reason but haven't actually given any real reason why.

My last three cars have all been VAG cars; a 2002 VW Polo 1.2l, a 56 Skoda Fabia VRs (1.9PD) and my latest is a 2.0Tdi Ibiza FR. Apart from the Fabia and the Polo both suffering driver side coil spring failures (more down to our cr*p roads than anything else) the cars have been bullet proof with nothing of any serious note going wrong with them, in fact my father owned a 1.4Tdi Fabia that had done well over 160,000 miles when he came to get rid of it and he now owns a new 1.4Tdi Fabia and again has had no issue. Two of my mates own VWs one a 1.6 Blue motion Golf and the other a 1.9PD Jetta, two of my work mates own VWs both 2.0Tdi Jettas.

So what's that, 9 different VWs all being driven differently all having done different mileages with different service levels and none with any serious issues?

20. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Because they are generally boring rep-mobiles, driven by people who think a diesel is economical and reliable when doing a 1.2 mile commute? The R8 V10 and V10 plus excluded.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014