buying a 360 today..

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ScoobyDooby, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    so I will be purchasing my first xbox today, and had a couple questions about it since I'm a total noob with them..

first off, is a 20gb hdd gonna be large enough? and what exactly is stored on the hdd> full games? or just like, save files and stuff?

secondly, what would be the better games to look at getting currently? naturally gta4 I would like to try out, but what else?

thirdly, how should I set it up? Would it be smart to add an external fan around it to keep it cool? maybe its just habit being a PC guy, but I have seen lots of these boxes just up and die when they get too hot..

2. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 + GTX 970
    Congrats on your purchase.

Well 20GB get filled up pretty quickly if you download many demos or trailers. The 120GB hard drive is of cours much better. But if you dont care deleting some files after you have used you should have no problems with 20GB.

As for games, there are so many out there. For me Fifa is a must have, but i dont think your a soccer fan. Other games like Gears of War, Mass Effect are great buys.

I once had a cooling kit that is attached right behind the XBOX. The only thing it did was just heating it up much more since the plastic thing was so big and the fans so small it only made the heat accumulate and not getting anywhere. Just make sure to keep it well ventilated. Besides 65nm chips should be on the shelves already.

I wish you a lot of joy with the XBOX 360.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    The HDD is totally pointless unless you plan on downloading demos and movies.

Practically all games can be stored on the memory card that comes with the cheaper ones.

Games?

Lost Odyssey, The Darkness, Eternal Sonata.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    20 gb is fine if you only have like saved games, and some game content like mappacks, but if you're planning on downloading like Xbox originals, or arcade, then I would go bigger. GTA4 is pretty fun multiplayer, but Call Of Duty 4 has a great community on Live, by great I mean big, you find all types of people on it though. Nice, bad, young, old, but very fun and addicting. The new 360s don't have the overheating problem as much as the old ones do, but just to be safe, I would get like the Nyko external fan, and if it fails, Microsoft will cover you for 3 years.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ cool thanks guys.

Games like CoD and Mass Effect I am playing on the PC since that's where they belong :D hehe.

The real reason I finally decided to buy one was so that when games like Fable 2 come out and are Xbox exclusive I won't have to wait to play them. Anyone play dark sector? Was that any good?

thx will check em..

Ohhh incorrect mista! I'm a huge soccer fan and yes, Fifa will be making an appearance for sure.

6. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980Ti
    Nice one m8 i bought mine a month ago and love it. Btw the 20Gb HDD is really only about 14gb if i'm correct. As most have pointed out it wont be long before you fill it up but you can buy a 120gb HDD from amazon and other places.

See you on live! :nerd:

7. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    The 360 is not worth getting unless you get an Elite.
    20GB vs 120GB and HDMI ports.

That and almost EVERYTHING 360 comes to pc.
    Now if you want TRUE exclusive, go PS3.

8. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    That not true, Xbox 360 when you download a movie it delete after 24hrs so its pointless to have a bigger hard drive. 20GB is fine for add ons and demos.

9. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    All the available 360 SKUs, the Arcade, the Pro/Premium and the Elite, now have HDMI ports, it's only the colour, hard drive size (or lack thereof) and the bundled leads etc that differ between them.

10. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    You wont regret it. Great piece of kit i love mine. Hope you enjoy mate :)

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Get the 120gig, after all having all that free space and a HDMI is always a bonus.......although I'm still enjoying my old 20gig version, which still has plenty of room for gamesaves, arcade games, demos and ripped music.......i have had my old 20gig prem since Feb 2006 and even with all the CD music rips, 20 arcade games, all my game save and all my DLC from themes to pic packs I'm still sitting with about 4 gig free, and take into account that 3 gig of that is being used up by the Endwar beta trial.

But having all the extra space of a 120 gig version definitely cant be sniffed at.

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ meh.. I have 20gb and really, I have all my music on my PC where I have my big speakers and reciever.. so it makes little difference to me to have a 20gb. I just went and bought myself an extra wifi controller so I got that set.. now all I need are some games.

And yeah mine is HDMI as well.. and just to confirm, it goes from the unit out in HDMI to a series of Composite cables right? Or, do you actually need a different cable???

13. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    HDMI is digital, and the composite is analog.

I have my ps3 hooked HDMI to DVI (monitor).

If you only can have composite, you will have to use the cables that came with the xbox. Otherwise, it goes from hdmi to hdmi, or hdmi to dvi (Like mine)

14. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    Good Buy i went and bought the arcade kit (minimum) and i have an hdmi port and 20gb hdd, that is all you will need really because when you download a demo you play it then delete it.

as for games......i have 3 games that keep me occupied for what 6 months now...Halo 3, CoD4, and GTA4....all three are online capable and they have great main stories and look great in high def.

15. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Price drop coming I'd wait if I where you.

From 349 to 299 for the premium.

16. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Right the price drop will be in a couple of weeks (July 13th).

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53385

Oh, and try out Gears of War and Bioshock.

17. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

Yea I would wait for the price drop. Also there is a rumor that MS is dropping the 20GB sku and replacing it with a 60GB sku. I for one wish I had a bigger drive as my 20 is nearly full and I will not pay $180 for a 120GB drive.

18. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    Not to mention the GPU die-shrink in august. Of course, those units will take time to come to market, and you'll have to track them down by serial #.

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ well I already bought mine so..

so if I want true digital HD I need t get the HDMI cable? Am I able to purchase that wherever??

And yeah I've already played GoW and Bioshock on PC.

edit.. seems I found the poor man's hdmi trick :)
    http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  20. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

I lucked out and got an open package 360 HDMI AV cable for $20.