Buying 2*4GB of memory, any advices ? [1090T, crosshair formula IV]

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Xbrain, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Hello fellow gurus !

I have a brand new RIG, with an AMD 1090T and an Asus Crosshair formula IV. I used my old ram, 4*1 GB of OCZ platinum ed 1600mhz. But they are part of the first generation of DDR3 and are a nightmare to get stable. Sometimes I run into some freezes or bluescreens and I know they are the prob.

What do you suggest in terms of memory ? I looked around a bit and I kinda like the new vengence series of corsair. 1600Mhz, cl8 @ 1.5v.

The Ripjaws from Gskill seem cool too.

I'm a little tired of tweaking memory to get to advertised speeds of uber-high-end-super-costly-of-death-memory... I already spend nights changing timings voltages and updating an excel result sheet. This time I would just like a quality product that I just plug, tweak a bit, and play.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    +1 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 CL8

deltatux

3. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    OCZ just sells ****ty ram. I learned that after my co-worker convinced my boss to buy them because they were cheaper than kingston or crucial and not only did 20% of the parts fail, but ocz didn't have cross-shipping so my boss lost a mess load of money.

I tried to tell him.. Every single stick of OCZ ram I had within a year started to error out and thats 10 sticks of JUST DDR2!

The ripjaws are an excellent choice.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really eh? I've built rigs with OCZ, no errors, I guess that just suck man.

deltatux

5. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    me personally im never buying gskill ram again i got 20 kits for some new builds like a year or 2 ago and 16/20 didnt work at all and only 2 kits were 100% i have one of those kits and my cousin has the other currently.

6. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Having worked in electronics manufacturing I can only say you are talking crap to have 16 out of 20 kits not working.

PEBKAC springs to mind if it did actually happen.....

7. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    i chalked it off to a really bad batch since all the kits i got before then were mostly gskill and worked fine. and i googled that pebkac crap... user error was not an issue absolutely nothing was changed but the new ram replacements for all the problem rigs and the new sets worked. with the 16/20 kits that sucked the systems either did not boot at all or crashed at windows install. and for the kits that halfway worked i checked the bios settings and they were set to factory rated settings. they just sucked.

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    he ordered 250 a "sample" batch and a little above 20% failed total. most made it through burn tests, co-worker who did qc was the one who suggested it (hmmmmm). but the boss seems to take the word of a know nothing qc noob over a guy who started in production, was promoted to rma, and then promoted to tech support within months (later i was promoted to manufacturer on site (hardcore cause we only sold to resellers so the tech needed experience in damage control). Well guess what I did a whole bunch of? swapping ram.... so that is 1 out of 5 failure rate but poor shipping practices from the parts distributor I think plays a major part.

I got my ocz ram from newegg whose packers have been using less and less packaging and stopped offering fedex option. reapers, golds, vista's ddr2 of all types (it was great to have a job and no responsibilities lol).

9. smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4870 1gb ZALLMAN
  10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    been running gskill for over a year. all 4 sticks worked fine.

hard to get them stable at the rated speed though, but thats probably more to do with cpu/mb not liking the higher fsb.

havent had any memory related errors.

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I guess because they were samples, they haven't gotten through QC?

deltatux

12. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    i've use ocz ddr2 in the past with both good and bad luck, never their ddr3. fortunately when i had bad luck the warranty always covered it. brand's i've used for year and never had a problem with include Corsair XMS and G-Skill. Pretty much swear by those these days.

13. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Thanks everyone for the feedback I really appreciate. I ordered a kit of ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-8GBRH.

I'll post what timings I can pull out of them.

About OCZ most kits worked well for me, except the first 12800 platinum enhanced bandwidth kit.

It was rated 7-7-6@1,9... My mobo was an XFX 790i, I NEVER could pull anything better than CL8. When I added a second kit I had to set 9-9-9@1,8v. That was just a shame...

I hope to pull something good out of the ripjaws. It is really painful that ratings are always certified for intel processors with intel chipsets...

14. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    I got the ram yesterday !

Well, how to say... this is simply incredible. This is the first time in my life that I plug ram, set the advertised timings and it just... works !!!

No weird tweaking, nothing. 7-8-7-24@1.6 rock solid, stone cold.

* is a happy customer *

I'll be buying G.Skill memory for a while. :)