Buy mid range now or wait for new series to push prices down?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by mystvearn, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Guest

GPU:
    GT730,GTX770ti,GTX 780...
    I've read from wiki and guru3d that next gen is usually available between sept-oct. I've also heard that the Radion 7000 hd series will have a 28 nm process. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but does smaller process=lower power consumption? So it is possible for newer cards to be more frugal on power?
    http://www.guru3d.com/news/radeon-hd-7000-series-in-q2-already/

Currently looking for just one graphic card upgrade and the only one/highest my system can take without requiring a new PSU is the 6850HD. Nvidia cards of the same performance have quite high power requirements. If not I would have obtained the GTX460 as it cheaper than the 6850. I did the PSU math here: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Since I would be busy next two months, I was wondering if this is the way to go. I can't do SLI/CF as my mobo does not support it. Any suggestions?

2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Your PSU will severely limit you in any case. Consider upgrading it.

I personally am waiting for the 7000 series which is expected to arrive between September and February.

3. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    The 28nm ATI Southern Islands GPUs are currently scheduled for Q2 2012. NVIDIAs Kepler has also moved to 2012 after TSMC failing to have the 28 nm process with sufficient yields in time for a 2011 launch ( http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110707PD211.html ).

As to whether the smaller process lowers the power consumption, since they are usually forced to make the denser transistors work at lower voltages, yes. But it is the lower voltage that usually follows the new manufacturing process that lowers the power consumption, not the newer manufacturing process alone.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. mystvearn

mystvearn Guest

GPU:
    So the 7000 series will not be a 28 nm process? Or it will be released next year then?

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    The Radeon HD 7000 series will be on 28nm no matter what as 40nm is old tech.

However, TSMC is having a lot of problems with 28nm just like it did with 40nm. What AMD does have in their cards is to switch to GlobalFoundries if all fails. NVIDIA currently can't switch but do have a manufacturing contract with GlobalFoundries. The switch for AMD would be a lot easier than NVIDIA (switching between TSMC and GF will take some redesigning to work with GF's tooling).

deltatux

6. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Learn to read dufus it talks about nvidia pushing back the 28nm process and AMD is on time to release sept-0ct. Geez guy you put up articles you don't even read? lol BTW if I was you I would just wait a couple months and buy a new 28nm amd card

7. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Actually, in the article it says "Meanwhile, AMD will follow its original schedule and enter the 28nm era in the first half of 2012."

So according to this article, AMD's cards will be out in Q1-2 of 2012, not in sept-october 2011 as you claimed. So maybe you should learn to read.

However, much more recent articles have stated otherwise and that the first batch will be released by the end of the year.

http://www.bollytnt.com/f23/amd-says-radeon-hd-7000-gpus-track-2011-launch-4273/

http://trendgadget.net/2011/07/27/amd-southern-islands/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. mystvearn

mystvearn Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for the info. It makes more sense for TSMC to make it push for a release date Q4 this year rather than Q1 next year as Christmas/end of year sale. Would be great if someone from TSMC reading this could reply :D

9. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    I would wait for a couple of months unless the games you play now are getting serious video lag, as far as psu's go i always go overkill on them, atm ive got a 1Kw psu.

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Best way is to always have someone to pass on a older GPU, one which was brought yesteryear.

It actually doesn't matter whether "Buy mid range now or wait for new series to push prices down?" because that is how the market moves, in sense it could be terrible because when the new series pushes in then so will the requirements for the games/applications you wanna run with your GPU.

Buy what you want now, when the new series kicks in pass the old card to sell and Buy the new ones (with better features; not rebranding...nor for just an optimized design either)

If you want to save money, buy a console. :)

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Radeon HD 7xxx series is based on completely different architecture, not just an updated or heavily updated architecture like between the last few series up to HD 6xxx. This is architecture difference (the way it works and does things), not the process which is also going to 28nm.

12. mystvearn

mystvearn Guest

GPU:
    Already have a PS and the Uncharted series. Unfortunately because of that game, everything else appears ugly:p Next game will be Uncharted 3.

I'll wait for 28 nm process for now unless my 4770 gives up on me. I play sim racing games mostly so not as demanding as a FPS. Note to other people, get a dual PCI slot for SLI. Save a fortune on upgrade :D

13. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    I disagree. I don't have anyone to pass my old GPU to ever. So each time I upgrade, it's as if the price of the new GPU is its sticker price + the price that the previous one was.

I don't think that if you need/want to make calulated PC component upgrades that this means you should just get a console.

I see a lot of sense in waiting for the anticipated release of a new product in order to either purchase that product or purchase a previous generation product that's prices have decreased.

Everyone has their own priorities and has their own logic about how to invest their money the best and it doesn't have to apply to everyone else and their lifestyles.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That article does have some inaccuracies as AMD did originally plan to release their new architecture in Q3 or Q4 of 2011 using the 28nm manufacturing process, at least according to statements made at their Fusion conference a few weeks ago....

Only the high-end products will be using the new architecture....the rest of the HD7000 series will still use the older architecture.

15. mystvearn

mystvearn Guest

GPU:

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nope, I was referring to the digitimes article and statements made during AMD's Fusion conference

17. oMVo

oMVo Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    the fusion conference happened earlier than the earnings call.

18. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Whats the point if HD 7xxx goes on lines of Nvidia CUDA core copy implementation!..might as well as buy Nvidia card.

The main reason why HD5xxx and HD6xxx were different against Nvidia cards, were because both the variants were based on VLIW5 and VLIW5 architecture.

19. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I hope AMD will release new cards before 11.11.11. My card is only 1 GB and some games already push that limit on 1680x1050. I'm considering an upgrade to 1080p, so I'm also considering a 2 GB card... Skyrim is bound to be a memory hog once modded to increase texture/shadow resolution, distance LOD and draw distance. Come on AMD keep it up

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Chances are you can grab a half-decent last-gen card for a cheap price. Hell that's why I'm running 3 x 5870, picked 'em up for £150 each, as opposed to £330+ when they were new.