1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning in an opteron 146

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by morbias, Nov 10, 2005.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I've decided to go the route of undervolting and burning in prior to overclocking, and i've been reducing the Vcore in .025 increments then prime95ing for stability, then reducing some more.

Stock Vcore is 1.4v, but i'm now down to 1.175v stable (Prime95 for 2 hours) and wondered if anyone would happen to know the lowest voltage this cpu will run before stability becomes an issue?

Obviously I need to find the lowest stable voltage and then prime95 it for about 24 hours, but 1.175v seems way too low already - how is it even running at this voltage?

cpu is an opteron 146 CABYE 0540

2. texanterror

texanterror Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    holy crap 1.175 i dont know about that.. seems way to low.. id try running maybe 1.2v for 24 hours or so.. maybe run some other stability tests to..

3. morbias

GPU:
    -
    yeah, I think i'll see how it fares with 1.675v overnight.

It's really weird, all the other cpus i've had were unstable even at only 0.1v below stock, hopefully this means this chip will overclock like a beast!

UPDATE: It's now priming stable 2.1Ghz@1.175v at 39C stock cooling!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  4. 3bqruk

3bqruk Member

GPU:
    X800 GTO2 (Flashed to X800XTPE)
    Just recieved my Opteron 146(Cabye :) ) today.Got it so far@2900
    ghz with 1.45v , temps 42(stock IHS) memory @ 2.8v .Been running prime for about 7 1/2 hrs. error free.So far,I'm very pleased with this chip.:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    Got mine 2 days ago let it run stock the first day just idle all day the the 2nd day pushed it up to 2.4, tested, 2.6 tested, 2.7 tested, then left it at 2.8 at 1.36v so im undervolting it some and its stable at 2.8 my ram has just abit of trouble doing DDR560 so I might go back down to 2.7 since I already have more than enough system power to play my games even at stock.

with a cpu divider I managed to get 3.0on 1.36v and while not super stable 3.2 at 1.4v but my mobo is kinda iffy with some dividers and I found best performance just keeping 2.7 - 2.8 with 1:1 Ram benchies are insig @ 2.8 DDR560

EDIT: Yes it's a CABYE

And everything is super stable now, just gave the ram abit more voltage from 2.6 to 2.74 and set the drive stregth manualy to 7 and the data stregth to 2 and now 0 errors in memtest86 @ DDR560 and no cpu problems.

hotest thing in my system is my chipset 45-50c and a loud little fan on it...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  6. morbias

GPU:
    -
    I wonder if there's any point burning this thing at low volts afterall, looks like it does 2.8-2.9 at stock voltage straight out of the box!

Are you using the stock HSF and what kind of temps are you seeing at load? 3bqruk: what's your system ambient temp?

What week/stepping have you guys got?

The one I got is a CABYE 0540

7. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    God damn, Ive been looking for an Opteron 146 in the UK for sooo long now, but they just arent in stock anywhere. Apparently CABYE and CABNE are the best stepping, with CABGE falling behind.

Almost all CABYEs and CABNEs do at least 3.0ghz with the right mobo, but you need to be able to run very high speeds i.e 300 *10. The CABGE seems to top out at 2.7-2.8 from what ive read..........

Would love to get my hands on one - 3.0Ghz for £105 is very nice and would keep my 7800GTs well fed :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  8. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Just a quick update: this chip is doing 2.5ghz @ 1.2v and is stable in prime95, occt, and superPi!

I need new RAM though, using a low divider and the next cpu freq that the memory will run at it's maximum clock is 3ghz!

9. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Cool thread! ... keep it comming ... USMC yours is a "YE" isn't it?
    Morbias, where is Soton? in addition to Kinton, "Wild" is looking for a 146.
    IMHO ... I'd still do the low V burn-in ... maybe not as extensive as in the past.

10. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Soton is actually Southampton on the South coast of England :)

My 146 is now at 2.7 @ 1.3v, it's crazy how these overclock even when undervolted. My RAM is def holding me back, and I surely need to lower the HTT ratio as it's at 2700 at the moment :eek: !

3bqruk: Are you getting 42C @load or idle at 2.9 on the stock HSF?

My CPU is running 48C load at the moment, but I used the Stock cooler (with an 80mm fan) I got with my A64 clawhammer - I thought the copper base looked a bit more hardcore than the crappy one I got with the Opteron!

11. TomCatV

TomCatV Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ti4200 "My-Fast"
    Quote USMC from "My new Case Mod" thread:

[Yeah TomCatV this is on air with stock heat sink, my temps are low enough that I havnt bothered with water yet.

The stock heatsink works well in my setup 2 80mm side fans blowing air in the case near the cpu and video card and that huge 120mm fan in the front keeping the HD cool and giving air flow to the case, with a 92mm back fan for exsaust and a 120mm fan on the top for exsaust.

CABYE is the 2nd best steping, as far as I can tell the CABNE was the best.
    I am currently using 1.36v on the cpu to get a 2.81Ghz OC,
    cpu temps @ 2.8 idle 35c at gaming load 39c with sandra burn in 41-42c and thats pretty exeptable.

The stock heatsink was pretty hard to put on, I was affraid I would break my cpu cause how hard I had to push down on the retention clip, but It was a matter of adjusting the swing arm that tightens them to a diffrent position and it finaly went on ok.]

Took the liberty to add this to the knowledge base .... hope you don't mind?

12. morbias

GPU:
    -
    Thanks for the info!

I get nowhere near those temperatures:

I have 2x80mm + 1x70mm front intake,
    2x80mm + 1x120mm (low speed) rear,
    and an 80mm on the cpu heatsink and I'm at 37C idle/52C load with prime95.

Maybe I should try the stock heatsink, I put on my old A64 one as it's more or less the same but with more fins and a copper base...

Oh yeah, I benched it in sandra at my current setting of 2.8ghz (same as FX57 clocks) and I was like wtf, it actually scores higher!

13. rofflesyo

rofflesyo Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800XT VIVO
  14. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    you can try the stock hs it might work better, but the temp reading im using is from my mobo they are known to not be accurate so its possible yours is off or mine is off. Being thats a "top end" dfi board I'd hope the temp readings are pretty accurate.

Its possible maybe your old hs just needs cleaned out too maybe got some dust stuck up in it? dust in your hs will degrade its performance alot esp if it has alot of small spaces.

15. r0k0

r0k0 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 H20
    lowering vcore can help overclock more??? i tought if you increase it ,it would overclock more??? lol

16. SoliS

SoliS Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD4870 512mb
    im kinda new to the whole OC thing, but they're burning them in by undervolting them as far as possible and running them for (how long are you guys gonna undervolt em for?). and then they'll OC them with higher voltages and see how fast they run.

right?

17. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX@497/1300
    Yeah some people choose to do that Solis, but I havnt seen proof yet that it actully has any positive effect on the cpu and its overclock limits other than if its a new install it gives time for the thermal compount to set in before they attempt to overclock it to higher temps.

18. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    I have three of these 146's and haven't seen any advantage of burning in with lower volts. My best did 2.8GHz on stock volts and is currently 3GHz on 1.45v on Water.

Running them for a few days and letting the thermal paste settle in is probably the only reason some people claim they run better after "burning in"