Bunker-hunting Part 3 - Batterie Dietl (56k warning)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, May 24, 2005.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Whoa, now there's a guy I haven't seen in a long time! :eek:
    How are you doing then?

Anyways, thanks everyone. We will be back with more pictures, both from the buildings we didn't reach over at Batterie Dietl, and from Laukvika fort, which is pretty much entirely open, and not that much "worn down" by german tourists.

2. SiS 6326

SiS 6326 Master Guru

GPU:
    MicroStar Geforce4 Ti4200 64MBDDR
    yeah, I know, haven't been active since, hmm... since back in the old days. Only lurked a bit around in the pub.

doing fine, same old, school and everything. Looking forward to finish my exams and get done with all this, it's been one heavy-duty year of studying, so some relaxation have to be initialized. ...

guess it's going fine up north too?

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes, same as always. Nothing new, really. Can't wait to finish this year either, cause I am tired!! When are you heading north again?

4. SiS 6326

SiS 6326 Master Guru

GPU:
    MicroStar Geforce4 Ti4200 64MBDDR
    Ah, I'm so tired of everything too.

Well, I'm supposed to start working the 23. So a few days ahead I'm probably back home. I heard evil voices talked about the worst summer up north since the 80's, hopefully they're wrong.

5. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    An important piece of history that surely will be lost to the ravages of time. Documenting them now is very critical.

6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes, I completely agree. These things are very solid, and will most likely easily take another 60 years, but the real threat isn't nature, it's humans.... Some of these bunkers are getting in the way of houses, roads etc, and are slowly being demolished. However, most of the large bunker areas are preserved as historical sites, and are therefore proteced.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Those pictures are first class. You really get an air for the place from them. I'd imagine it'd be quite spooky walking through places like that. Maybe spooky is the wrong word there.. more Atmospheric?

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks. Well, walking inside those bunkers is somewhat spooky. I never really realise how damn dark it is before I turn off the flashlight. The echo inside the bunkers is really special, and so is the moist, smelly air. It is really a very special atmosphere, which cannot be explained.

9. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Absolutely, these threads are really great. I really hope you keep this up. There's something very intamate and personal about the way you present the pictures that adds a bit of humanity to the history.

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks alot, much appreciated. We do have, as I already mentioned, more projects coming up. There is another fortress in Steigen, which I have much belief in. It's hidden away, close to a private property. I do believe it's pretty much open, so that will be fun :)

11. Gerle

Gerle Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia M970
    Kartesch means a grenade or projectile filled with balls, random junk, whatever, in Swedish, should be roughly the same meaning for the German Kartusch.

12. pantera88

pantera88 Member

awesome awesome i need to go

13. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    dont bring up old threads.......

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why? I have these threads linked in my signature. Everyone who wants to make a comment, are completely allowed to. These are my threads.

15. Hiro1000

Hiro1000 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I am sorry, did not know you had them linked.

By the way they are cool picks ;)

16. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    another 1/2 hour spent lookin at these pictures...just amazing to see a glimpse of a ***** fortification. Thanks again for your time posting! :)