Bunker-hunting Part 3 - Batterie Dietl (56k warning)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, May 24, 2005.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Alright, I guess you guys remember my first thread about bunker-hunting, yeah? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136724&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=4
    Well, me and my mate went back to our homeplace, Steigen, this weekend, and decided to pay Batterie Dietl a visit. There is very limited information about this fortress on the net, but I'll tell you what I know.
    Batterie Dietl is one of europe's largest costal fortresses from WW2, and was built to control the westfjord and the lofoten wall. It had 3 Adolf-cannons, which had a barrel diameter of 40,6cm and length of 22,5m. These cannons weighted 158 tonnes (!!) and had a range of 50,6km! The fortress was built by 2000 russian war prisoners, and 3000 germans. Obviously the prisoners/slaves did all the heavy work, and over 500 of them died from all the suffering. As I already mentioned, the fortress had an important strategic postion, and this map illustrates that very good: MAP
    As I already said, the fortress had 3 adolf-cannons, and therefore 3 pretty much identical bunkers. One of these bunkers is today made into a wartime museum. This museum also has a overview map over the entire area, which we very much would like to have a picture of. That way we would be able to find all the constructions, and also know what they were for.
    We had limited amounts of time on this trip, so we didn't reach over it all. There's this huge command post which we unfourtantly didn't have time for, but we will be back!

Anyway, time for the pictures:

[​IMG]
    Before we reached the fortress, we visited a memorial for the russian prisoners who died under the construction of the bunkers'. This site is roughly ~2km away from the bunkers, and was the ground for a large consentration camp, which held about 2000 prisoners. The memorial says (roughly translated): "Here rest 514 soldiers of the red army, who far away from the frontlines bowed under from the pain and suffering they were exposed for under the german fascism. Rest in peace, dear comrades. Your native country and people who are now free from the fascism, will never forget a single one of you."

[​IMG]
    As you can see, there's still some remains of the camp. Not much to say, other than that was uncomfortable thinking what's actually been there before.

[​IMG]
    Okay, so we've reached the main bunkers. The first sight that met us was this huge fixed up searchlight. AFAIK, this thing is fully working.

[​IMG]
    The cannonmount on the second bunker - the one that's fixed up inside to a museum. As you see, the cannon pit is LARGE!

[​IMG]
    Overview of the entrance of the same bunker as above. Notice the new door, and the fixed up generator, which I believe is used to power the searchlight.

But fixed up museums that aren't open isn't that interesting, right? Let's move on.

[​IMG]
    This is the third of the three pretty much identical bunkers, and it's not fixed up in any way. And guess what? It was open... Lucky for us...

[​IMG]
    The sight that met us when we got the door open. There's still blue paint on the walls, nice! Also, notice the rails in the roof, that's the system they used to move the 1,03 tonnes shells for the adolf-cannon.

[​IMG]

Okay, so this is the first room to the left, where the MG was positioned. Notice the paint on the upper walls! Red flowers.

Nothing special. A room further in to the left. You see me looking around with a flashlight. Again: it may look light in these bunker, but they are PITCH dark. The blitz on the camera does a great job!

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]
    A closer look at the railsytem in the roof. This is a shifter, where they could change the direction of the trally thingy they used.

[​IMG]
    The name/type of bunker this bunker is. I haven't been able to translate this, so I don't know what it means. Any germans here?

[​IMG]
    So, we found a hatch in the ground, and climbed down. We now got to the cellar of the bunker, where the generator and such was placed. As you can see, most of the electrical wiring is still intact.

[​IMG]
    The generator room. You can clearly see where the generator is supposed to be. If I'm not mistaken, they used a beefy 24V diesel engine to power it all. Again one of those very dark and rather scary rooms. Remember, we are under ground now.

[​IMG]
    A part of the electric system.

[​IMG]
    The coolant pool for the generator. Why use radiators when you can use a deep pool instead? I'm not sure how deep it is, but it's many meters. Anyone care for a nice cold swim?

[​IMG]
    Pretty flooded hall.

[​IMG]
    The room in the end of that hallway.

[​IMG]
    Time to head out of the cellar, and up the stairs...

[​IMG]
    Some remains of an oven.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]
    Name/type of the part of the bunker we're in now. If I'm not mistaken, this means "projectilebunker 1"

[​IMG]
    Now this is cool. We found an entire wall full of these hooks with names over them. I really wonder what they were used for...

[​IMG]
    Easy to imagine why they placed the fortress here...

Right, let's move on to the next bunker.

[​IMG]
    This bunker was firmly locked down with a huge steel door. I think it's been a viewpost or something similar.

[​IMG]
    Of course they needed a "small" cannon on this bunker as well... ;)

The outview thingy on the same bunker. Of course my mate had to take the picture while I was trying to look down in it :p

[​IMG]
    Very unfortuanly, we did not reach over this area. We would have taken the time to get there if we knew what was there: The command post! This bunker is supposed to be very large. Ah, well, we'll be back later.

[​IMG]
    Overview over the first adolf-cannon bunker. This one was in really bad shape, and therefore very firmly locked down.
    All entrances were closed with thick concrete.

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]
    ... However, that doesn't stop some people. They've used a thin fence to climb down there. There's atleast 3m down! Even though we considered it, we decided not to risk our lives getting into it.

[​IMG]
    In the areas around the bunkers, we found heaps of remains of houses and barracks. It looks like this exact area had the main houses, perhaps with the officers...?
    There's been atleast 4-5 houses there, including a huge gate.

[​IMG]
    We climbed up a hill, and got an excellent view over the entire area. This is another bunker on the other side of the hill.

[​IMG]
    Nice view over one of the main bunkers.

[​IMG]
    On top of the hill we found this. It's the socket for a Fu.M.O 214 ("Wurzburg") radar.

[​IMG]
    On our way to the last bunker on the other side of the hill, we found this cave. It was open! However, neither of us had proper footwear, and the floor had like 10cm of water, so we could not enter it. I was already having a flu, so I didn't want to risk anything. *Sighs* Oh well, back again a later time :(

[​IMG]
    The last bunker we visited that day.

[​IMG]
    The entrance of the same bunker.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]
    Inside the bunker. Looked very trashed in there...

[​IMG]
    Remains of the ventilation system.

Right, that was it for this time. This is only half of all the pictures we took, but probably the most interesting ones.
    Hope you find it interesting, cause we sure did!

6. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Maaaan.. And I found Batterie Dietl boring the last time I was there.. Now when I got my license I am SO gonna drive over there and go for a walk! Cause that is just awesome :3eyes: :D

7. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Oooo (not that I can open the big pictures).
    *saving for a 2nd norway trip, may even put off buying an a64 for it*

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Damn i'm coming with you...

9. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    is this place off limits or can anybody just go around taking a peek

10. nm+

GPU:
    old
    hells yeah! Guru party Norway!

11. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    If I could get the time off I would go.

Unfortunately, the nature of my job means that I must be tethered with a cell phone and pager in case they need me quickly.

12. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    thats pretty cool John. i always wanted to visit some old WWII ruins like that...we have some here, but they were built to defend against the Japanese invasion that never came (thankfully), so obviously they've never seen combat. Ocasionally old mortars from training are found on the beach though.

@Adair: What's your job again? Something with law enforcement right?

13. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    No, right now I am the sole network administratior and wireless tech for an eastern oregon ISP. It sucks being the only guy to call whenever there is a problem. I cant leave for very long, or else the world would end where I work (at least my bosses think so) Otherwise I would consider a trip to do something like this.

14. nm+

GPU:
    old
    techniques. All around the california coast you can find the remains of Nike Missile bases as well. I think Angel Island has some (plus a lot of other cool stuff)

15. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    i just searched about those Nike missiles and found this:http://ed-thelen.org/t_tour.html#100

I've explored the bunkers in the marin headlands, as well as SF, but i never knew about those missile batteries before. The missiles had nuclear capabilities, and would have been used to take down soviet bomber formations...man the cold war was a crazy time..

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It's open for anybody. It's the same with most old remains of bunkers all along the coast of Norway, as long as they aren't placed on private properties. They have, as you see, tried to close down the more dangerous bunkers, but barricades like that never last because some people are pretty desperate to get into them.

17. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Some people yeah *coughs*

18. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Lets not mention any names :p

19. SiS 6326

SiS 6326 Master Guru

GPU:
    MicroStar Geforce4 Ti4200 64MBDDR
    Awsome John! Ah, great seeing pics from back home again, I've been working on a project in school concerning the history of Steigen in WW2, and mostly Batterie Dietl. Quite interesting, I've never thought the cannons were this big! I believe they were about the world's biggest battleship-cannons. The germans were planning on building 2 gigantic war-ships where the adolf-cannons were supposed to be, but a change in plans made it possible to move them to Steigen and Batterie Dietl.

anyways, great post and pics...

20. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    Wow John. I've always loved WW2 things and to be honest i've read over 10 books on DDay and Omaha beach. I find it so interesting to see what things look like now. I would love to be there with you! Keep up the pictures and i hope you are having a blast!