"Bunker-hunting" (56k warning) [Updated the 9th of may]

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by John, May 8, 2005.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "Bunker-hunting" (56k warning)

Well, I started posting pics of this in the spamthread, but some pointed out that it wasn't spam, and should be posted in its own thread, so here it is.

Me and a mate went "bunker-hunting" here in Bodø, Norway, today. We are both very interested in anything that has to do with WW2, so this is something we both enjoy doing.
    Basically, what we are looking for is remains of the German Atlantikwall from WW2. What is Atlantikwall you may ask?
    Well, taken from atlantikwall.net:
    The atlanikwall over europe is marked in red, while the place we're located at is marked in black:
    [​IMG]

"Bunker-hunting" is great doing at this time of the year, as all the vegetation still hasn't gotten green, which makes it much easier to find what we're looking for.

Now then, on to the pics:

[​IMG]
    A large cannon mounted not too far from the road. It's probably moved from it's original position, which I bet was fruther down the hill.

[​IMG]
    A part of a small overview bunker. Not much to say, other than I find the placement rather weird. From where it is, it's only facing the road, not the ocean.

[​IMG]
    Inside of something that looks like a small storage house. The inside is actually still covered in wood.

[​IMG]
    The top of the largest bunker in this area. The top is somekinda viewpost.

[​IMG]
    A door which leads inside the above bunker. It was, sadly like most of the doors here, closed.

[​IMG]
    ... However we managed to take a picture through the bars in the doors. The hallway continues to the left. Straight forward you'll see a brick wall, and in the middle of that, you can see a small hole. There is a room on the other side of that, where there would be a guard, with an MG out of the hole. If someone who wasn't suppose to be entering the bunker, entered it, it would be easy to get rid of him ;)

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]
    This is a mounting for a cannon, very possible the type I first posted. We found three of these.

[​IMG]
    inside the small house you can see above. I'm guessing this was where they had the ammo and equipment for the cannon

[​IMG]
    Overview of the large bunkerI posted above.

[​IMG]
    Entrance to something tha looks like a HUGE stoarge room. The entrance has rails, which means they used trallies to carry heavy stuff. It was also closed down, and notice the power cords, and the working light. This has probably been used by the Norwegian army after the Germans left the place. And yes, that is me in the pic, a *tad* excited :p

[​IMG]
    Remains of a house, which looks to be a "high-rank" house. Notice the decored stairs.

[​IMG]
    Some vagon-thingies. Might be cannon vagons, as they had some hydraulics. It said "Made in Germany, 1938" on both of them.

That's basically it from that place. We did however find another fotress, but that was located on a hill in the middle of a very densely populated place, so it was very hard to get there without trespassing on private property. We did manage to make our way up there though. What we discovered is that the entire hill had an underground bunker! It was HUGE. On top of the hill we found a very deep hole (10 meter or so) which lead down to the underground passages! It was way too steep to get down there without a long ladder, so all we got was this lousy pic:

[​IMG]
    yes, I know, very bad picture. It was extremely hard to take a picture there, as the ground was slippery. We did NOT want to end up down there!

Anyhoo, that's all for now. The next time we go home to our home place we our parents live (Steigen), we will take a trip to "Batterie Dietl", which was one of north-europe's largest costal fortress! They had 3 HUGE "Adolf cannons" there (all removed in the 50's), consentration camp with russian prisoners, maaaaany bunkers, houses - everything!

This ended up as one LONG post, and I'm sure no one will care, but meh. Just wanted to share my experiences.

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Can't believe you wanted to post that in the spam thread!
    Good thing you didn't.
    I bet you that you will find a way to get down in the underground bunker :p

4. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    very nice hobby!! :D

there are indeed a lot of bunkers on the shoreline in holland too :D (i went metal-detectoring there and found some shells and bullets and stuff)

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Awesome :thumbup:

6. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    The wagon trailer thingies look vey much like 88mm AA gun trailers, without some sort of scale to judge by I'm only guessing it's for an 88mm. There were several demountable AA guns used by the Germans.

Awesome pics.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You're probably right.

And thanks guys, I appreciate it. If you think this is cool, wait till you see Batterie Dietl. It's spectacular! Give us a week or two, and we should have pics from there.

8. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    I can't c any pic's besides the first one, the map :(

9. Sniper_20

Sniper_20 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce NX6800 TD128
    Nice :thumbup:

10. Infernae

Infernae Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    Very interesting pictures. I never knew of the German Atlantikwall, but it definitely is fascinating. I can't wait to see more photos. :)

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Heh, there you are mate. This is the guy who was with me and took the pictures! ;)

What do you say, are you ready for Batterie Dietl in a couple of weeks?

12. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
  13. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    WOW!! Thanks 4 sharing your photos,They look great :thumbup:
    Cant wait to see more
    :)

14. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    cool stuff man

15. Sniper_20

Sniper_20 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce NX6800 TD128
    I am ready to go at any time mate! :cool:

16. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    I actually think they're for this big light here:
    http://home.online.no/~vestil/norway/Fjoloy/index.htm
    Well, then again...they probably used that to haul all kinds of stuff. (Including artillery) I just found this pic.
    http://www.cloudster.com/RealHardware/88mmFlak/edFLAK02a.jpg

Very cool pictures btw

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  17. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hm.. I'm gonna see if I can find out what those vagons were used to. Probably just need to ask the army...

Anyway, let me give you guys a sneak peek on what you can expect from us the next time. One of the gun placements for the 40,6cm Adolf-cannons at batterie dietl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ;)

18. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
    oh that is beautiful! don't suppose there are still any panzers lieing around. i loves them panzers. [​IMG]

19. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    More reason why I need to go to Norway again.

20. the_cleric

the_cleric Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    nice pictures...really great to see those remains...they really are a part of history (mostly bad history, though)