Bumptop for your desktop

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by getsuga12, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    Same here, I've tried a few other 3D desktops and Shells and I didn't like them very much. The only one I'm looking into is Cairo and this one.

You still have an invite left?

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Whenever I move icons around the desktop, the GPU shoots up to 100% load (assuming I am constantly shaking whatever it is I am holding). The temps do not go up at all, so I have no idea why it requires 100% usage. But it does leave my X2 in 2D clocks when doing it.

It doesn't seem to load my CPU at all.

3. ndude555

ndude555 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 5770 @ 910
    Looking at the web site I see that there is a Mac version planned. Will the program utilize the accelerometers in the laptops so you can "tilt" the desk top and move the icons around that way?

Similar program is something like this.
    http://uri.cat/software/LiquidMac/

4. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    sorry man, ran out of invites already

mmm... did you activate vsync? Other than that, seems it's okay as long as the temps don't go up. Lol, i see you got an invite.

The devs said they might support that feature, though there hasn't been much detail about that

5. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It was perfect as far as I could tell.. no problems. Back on vista now though 7 was annoying me, I think I have a bit of OS- OCD, always formatting and starting fresh lol :infinity:

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Do you have anything to do with the development getsuga, or are you just a tester like us? :p

7. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    lol, i'm a tester just like you guys, except i've been a beta-tester since the first beta versions, and I've been reporting bugs here and there. Some features were removed from bumptop during the beta phase since a number of wankers whined about it, and only now people are asking for these features to be brought back (the features removed are the fold and crumple feature, among other things).

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Yeh, I was wondering where those features went. To be honest, I'm not too bothered about them being missing.

What does bug me, is the pinned items dropping slightly everytime you click them, and the fact all the text on the menus is on top of each other.

9. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    lol, that one they're working on at the moment (and for quite some time now).

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Slightly disappointed to hear that they have been on it for some time now. But hey, I know where the commands are anyway, so don't need to be able to read them, and while the dropping when clicked thing is irritating, it isn't a deal breaker.

One question though; How do you get the desktop you posted in the third screenshot? It looks better, as if it has no side walls and a much larger top wall. I like. Is it a theme?

11. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    double-click on any side of the walls

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Ah, ****. I seem to have misjudged the scale. At first glance it appeared much larger than it actually is, suggesting to me that it was a different view or something. Then when I saw the icons I realised it is much closer in than normal. Sigh. I already knew about the double click thing -_-

13. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    lol I do like some of the themes, though I would like to see a theme with a 3d terrain

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Agreed. That would be awesome.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I also seem to have a problem putting pictures up on the walls. I righ click, select "More", select "Add a photo frame..." and then pick the picture I would like to pin there, and it always comes up saying "No image found" or something. The top option is selected, but it reads "Local directory"; does that mean this is how you produce the slide show frames and not the individual pictures?

I managed to do it with one picture, but can't remember how!

15. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    you have to specify a file directory that contains the pictures, you can't link an individual picture. If you do, however, want just one picture, then create a file and stick one in. You can also modify the timing of the slideshow in the settings.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Well that seems like a bit of a vast oversight on behalf of the developers. I was kind of hoping I was just being stupid about it and was missing something simple :/

17. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    lol, not really an oversight, the original feature was you could select a single picture or put a slideshow, but a lot of the beta testers whined about it being a little too tedious, so they took it out. Nobody has raised the issue since.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I just like my desktop to be nice and clean, and whenever I load up Windows and see my desktop before BumpTop loads, it looks a mess. I suppose it doesn't matter too much once BT has started, but it still sucks knowing that my only choices are either 1) Make a new folder for every picture I want to pin or 2) put every single picture I want to pin on my desktop.

But hey, if it's what the people wanted, then I suppose that's a democracy for you.

19. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Here's a question for anyone who knows, althogh it is nit directly related to BumpTop;

Since BumpTop is one of the last things I installed, it always loads after everything else, leaving my normal desktop viewbale for a considerable amount of time. Is there any (relatively) simple way to make BumpTop the first priority on startup without using any third party programs?

I know you can fiddle with start up processes in some way, but I can't remember how, or whether what I want is actually possible.