BulletStorm - New title from People Can Fly

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, May 14, 2010.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    On 25 january will be a demo, but only for consoles, great!
    Source

2. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    The last bit of respect I had for People Can Fly, now removed.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, sure... blame the developer... makes sense. Specially since the demo release was decided by EA and Epic.

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I hope that is all it is needed for.

@Beren

I hope so.

5. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    They have their say in the matter, and if they cared, we'd get a demo. Besides, I have no respect left for EA or Epic, so I can't lose any for them.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    People Can Fly did want a PC demo.
    But, remember PCF are owned by Epic... so Epic gets the final say.

7. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't really care at this point, as I basically have zero respect for anyone in the entire industry. I can't really blame the industry for being a bunch of sell outs, but I can't respect it either.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sellouts? Funny term for an industry built on a business model of making a product, selling a product... and trying to turn a profit.
    Epic, yeah, they sold out. But People Can Fly... no. I'm glad they finally got a break. When they made Painkiller several of them slept in the office, went days without being able to afford food... they put everything they had into Painkiller.

It's great to see them get the attention they deserve, and the ability to show what they can do.

9. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    That has nothing to do with being a sell out. Selling out is simply the degree to which you change your personal vision to the industries to make more money. In other words, no PC demo is selling out, unless they literally sat back and said "F*ck them", which I could respect to a certain degree.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, because there being no PC demo means we know exactly what happened behind closed doors in the various meetings between three companies.

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    What are you talking about? I never claimed to know what was said behind closed doors.

I think they sold out...
    [​IMG]

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see it as selling out though, its a sensible business plan, i would have zero respect for a company willing to throw money away.

If its mostly SP, then its going to sell poorly anyway, we know that, and they know that, so the less money they waste on the PC the better for them.

13. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    How is making a demo for the PC throwing money away? If the company has such little confidence in the PC platform that they can't release a demo, they might as well not port the game to begin with. No use porting post release patches, or DLC, that's just throwing money away.

Why are you less concerned over gamers throwing their money away? They're forced to buy the game blind, may end up hating it, and now can't return it or re sell it. Don't we deserve to know what we are buying? Or should that opportunity only be presented to console owners?

Oh, we can use reviews you say? Far Cry 2 sure looks amazing, and it's getting fantastic reviews! I think I'll head out right now and bring the last of my hard earned entertainment budget with me... . . . . . .

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well i can see it going that way with non MP PC games soon anyway, more and more games will stop getting ported.

Demo's still cost money though, and there is no guarenteed return.
    For example, even on the consoles, many demo's end up being exclusives for Xbox Live Gold members.

Most publishers obviously don't like releasing demo's, but i imagine they will be under pressure from MS and Sony to release them, unfortunately the PC doesn't have anyone to back them up.

No, i wouldn't expect people to buy a game without trialing it, maybe the publishers want to help push piracy numbers up so they have more excuses to pull out completely.

I'm not saying i like it, just that i understand it.

15. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I of course have no problem with that.

This just makes it sound like your respect for them grew, because they dropped the PC demo. Reading your second post however, doesn't make it sound like that.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not at all, but due the nature of my career so far, i can't help look at it from a business, and profits point of view.
    I also never saw it as them dropping the demo, these days how many PC games actually get/have one, and it doesn't just apply to mult-platform games.

In the last 6months off the top of my head, and excluding indie games, all i can think of is Mafia2, Fifa11 and PES2011, these days im more pleasently suprised when there is a demo, than disappointed when there isn't.

Having to pirate a game, or try and use a console demo to judge the quality of a PC game is in no way desirable for me, but there isn't much i can do about it.

17. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    its not selling out because they arent realling gaining anything. they are making it for PC so if anything it might hurt more. also learn what devs have control over, Epic made it to where the is no PC demo, what they say goes. just like if the devs wanted DLC Epic would decide on the price of it. dev wouldnt really have much say

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You're claiming that because there's no PC demo, they sold out. Without knowing what happened in meetings between the three companies involved on this project.

There's no PC demo... yeah, sucks. Not PCF's choice. It sucks, but anyone in the industry knows that the console market it what turns a profit for a game these days.
    And for a small company like PCF, a smart business plan is easily the most important thing for them.

19. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, that video just came out today.