BulletStorm - New title from People Can Fly

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, May 14, 2010.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    this game sure is picky when files are not right, last night I played the game it kept crashing on me for about every 15 minutes, and crashing without anything worth reading, just showed program has stoped working, then after that it was fine for hours without crashing, today I went to play and same thing, kept crashing, but game didnt show signs of staying on, so I reinstalled everything for it, phyx, net, directx, the game, now finally able to play without crashing,

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game desperately needs a patch.

I fixed the issue with GfWL not signing in at all due to the old NxCooking.dll PhysX file in the Windows folder (just delete it... the file not the Windows folder!) but it still refused to sign in on occasions for some strange reason. And when it did I sometimes lost in-game audio altogether except for the intro videos during the initial load.

I found out that it's because I have a Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card and if it is set to Game mode then GfWL will not sign in. If it is in Entertainment mode then it will. This is a very annoying issue considering that every other game I have works better in Game than Entertainment mode (Fallout 3 for example crashes if I use Entertainment mode).

Even then I've had a few crashes to the desktop, not many admittedly but I shouldn't have any at all, and I suspect these are because the game uses software XAudio2 as opposed to OpenAL as other Unreal Engine 3 games do.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    darren, i have no problem with signing in.

i have a xtremegamer card aswell set to gamer mode.

i did have problems in the beginning, and this is how i solved it, maybe worth a try ?

i installed a game from gfwl store, it was a free one, cant remember the name, bling or something ? (i can find out at home later if you want)
    started it up, it updated gfwl in the game, exited the game.
    started up bulletstorm, it started updating gfwl for that too, then i could sign in.

have you tried this ? i know it sounds weird, but i really have no problems anymore after i did this.
    only did this, not replaced or removed any files at all.

windows 7 x64

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @WhiteLightning - The game you're referring to is Tinker and, yes, I downloaded and installed that with no problems.

In fact, as I mentioned earlier in this thread I have no problems at all playing any other GfWL title, not a single one. At all. Bulletstorm works fine and signs into GfWL as long as I *don't* use Game mode. If I do then 9 times out of 10 it will fail to sign in and in-game audio is non-functioning (I only hear audio on the intro videos).

I do use Creative's Auto Mode switcher tool though which runs in the system tray and is designed to switch games to Game mode when they're detected (you just add the executable to the game and set Game mode). The reason I use it is that I prefer Entertainment mode for the desktop as music sounds much better on that setting than it does in Game mode. I'm using the latest v2.18.0015 drivers from the Creative site too.

Also I haven't tampered with the INI files; I'm using the settings accessed through the in-game options.

5. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ah yes, it was tinker. hehe :)

well i dont add any files , i have it on game profile for eternity.
    + im using one of the older sets of Daniel K's driver sets.

if you want me to upload it let me know.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. As an experiment, White Lightning, try setting the audio mode to Entertainment and see what happens, if you don't mind? Thanks.

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    sure thing, will try tonight

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    darren ive booted the game 5 times in entertainment mode, every time gfwl would sign in.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @WhiteLighting - Thanks for checking.

It may be the Creative AutoMode switcher that is the crux of the problem. I've removed the game executable from it for now (so it isn't detected) and will see what happens next time I play it.

10. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Game worked fine in any mode for me, I am sure I had to lower the Sound Quality in Windows to 24bit 48000hz like lots of games they do not work with it higher at launch till patched for whatever reasons!

Some I have had to lower to 24bit 44100hz.

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    well I beat the game, but I did have audio problems where I would get stuttering audio when I used sniper rifle and some effect where I slide, I alt-tab to desktop and then alt-tab back to desktop and audio problem went away.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    An update on this: I downloaded the latest PAX DVD which contained a newer, less buggy version of the Creative AutoMode Switcher tool and, lo and behold, Bulletstorm now seems to work fine in Game mode, i.e. it signs in to GfWL and I still have audio. At least for the two times I've played it since installing this newer tool.

13. Tezza668

Tezza668 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Hey. I am new to this forum and i have having trouble with Bulletstorm, which does not sound out of the ordinary from what i have read.

My problem has not came up here yet though, so either it is a really easy fix or, well o have no idea.

When i try to install it the installer says that bulletstorm is not compatible with the 64-bit edition of Windows 7.
    Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    the only time ive herd that happening is from a torrent download of this game

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Welcome to the forum!

have you tried the EA live chat ? maybe they can help you on this ?

16. Tezza668

Tezza668 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    I have not tried the live chat, i will try it.
    If no one can help me on there it isn't too bad, ill just return it and get my money back.

17. Tezza668

Tezza668 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Im not sure what happened but it is working now. The only problem i have found is a few graphical glitches from final echo bodies, which is not bad really.
    Thanks for trying to help though. :)

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It's pretty ironic that people with soundcards have to lower their audio quality while I have mine set to 24bit/192khz and bitstream 5.1/7.1 pcm to my receiver no problem without a sound card.

19. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    do you get any higher quality @ 192khz when i think 100% games wont go over 48khz? :X

20. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Of course there is no quality increase when the default source is only 48khz.

BUT you DON'T have to decrease it to 41khz like many soundcard owners have to do in many games, so compared to that, yes there is an increase in sound quality.

See Bliss's post.