Bulletstorm Driver Performance Thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HaZe303, Feb 20, 2011.

1. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970
    It will be useless after a certain point. Certain level will require X amount of memory to store textures and other will need Y amount. Does the program flushes the texture after a new level load, are there options in the .ini files to change this behaviour etc.

The resolution at which you play Bulletstorm will also affect the amount needed; a triple monitor Eyefinity setup will require more than someone playing at 800 x 600. The best way to find out what that point is is to use a utility like Memstatus by Kevin Reems; Windows Vista and Seven don't seem to be supported but you can try anyway...i'm on XP. Basically you start Memstatus, start your game, play a certain amount of time (5 minutes, 10 minutes) quit the game and look at the Video memory usage. If the game is not too finicky you can ALT-Tab out of it and monitor the memory usage on the fly.

http://nuclearplayground.com/NuclearPlayground/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. rurik

rurik New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6970 stock
    just passed the game on medium difficulty, now playing at a very hard .all at max, only antialiasing on 4x.1920x1080 res.no problem :)
    sorry for my english

3. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    Isn't this something the game should do by itself at startup? For shame, People Can Fly...

But then, I shouldn't have any expectations for PC games that are released with auto-aim enabled.

4. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    what encryption software should I use to edit the config files pls help . I am using window 7

5. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Yes but for people that can't afford a new PC every 12 months but still want to play the latest games at full resolution, maybe they will find 30fps acceptable and if not they would lower the resolution or the graphics settings. When I said smooth as butter i mean I haven't noticed a single stutter. I have since edited my storm engine ini and now get 40fps using the tweaks advised in this thread.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about crappy console ports but as many PC games are pirated maybe we're lucky they bother porting these games at all. Many PC owners have consoles anyway so with a little research you can buy the game which runs best for the particular system you own. Although having seen the screen shots the PC version still looks best and I wouldn't be surprised if the console versions run at 30FPS anyway but as these users don't have the benifit of FRAPS they probably just get on with it and enjoy the game.

6. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
  7. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Correction I have now turned of anti aliasing and frame rates have increased to an almost solid 60fps with only occasional slow downs. Great game shame it will be over to soon.:banana:

8. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 Ti
    Playing with a Xbox controller, also makes the game feel a little smoother.

9. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    a little offtopic but, when i alt tab the game i cant "enter" again, just me with this issue? ( i guess the UT3 engine that make this lol, my UT3 bug too )

10. mojoba

mojoba Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Yeah I use an xbox360 wireless controller whenever I can too. Can relax a lot more away from the keyboard and mouse and after many hours of practice I can now pull off headshots almost as quickly as using a mouse. I don't think there is as much skill involved in point and click mouse play.

11. countmurcie

countmurcie Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970
    at TheGuuH

On windows XP - SP3, AMD HD6850, Catalyst 11.2 it takes me 15 to 20 seconds to get back in the game from ALT-Tabbing out of it.

12. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    so, i will wait a bit more :p

13. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Pirated PC games got nothing to do with game developers ignoring the PC.
    Console games today are pirated more then ever for both Xbox360 and PS3.
    PC piracy is the lamest excuse EVER!

The two real reasons behind it, is this:
    1. Microsoft and Sony will pay developers big money for being exclusive.
    2. It is much easier do develop for a single known hardware then supporting many different hardware configurations like the PC offers.

So basically the reason for crappy console ports is GREED & LAZINESS!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  14. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    I could have told you greed and laziness was number one reasons developers are going console within a heartbeat

Look at Crysis 2, Crysis and Crysis Warhead total sold over 5 million copies. FIVE MILLION COPIES!, yet they still blame "Piracy" etc for "Poor sales"

Just -HOW- is 5 million copies poor freaking sales?! You know Stalker Pripyat sold alittle over 2.5 million copies, and they are -ECSTATIC- on making another sequel for PC, they are THRILLED to do so

Why? Because they are not a developer tainted with the notion that a game must sell 9+ million copies to be considered "A success", where greed and homogenization taints what was a decent product, into a bland mess that console gamers eat up without thought

And yes, its consolized, its consolized to hell and back, they grand, open ended like area's in Crysis have been replaced with CoD like levels in Crysis 2, with crap like "Press start to play" among other noticeable taints that this is a console game ported to PC, not PC game ported to consoles

Hell, it doesn't even come with DX11! You have to wait for it in a PATCH, which mystifies me as Crysis 1 shipped with DX10!!!

I make no bones about it that console kiddies are the easiest people on the planet to please, and yes, we PC gamers -ARE- a fickle bunch who demand a top notch production title

But is that wrong? Is demanding the most for your buck an evil thing? Developers are allowed to get away with shoddier and shoddier products, full more of spectacle and cutscenes then actual gameplay to drive emotions, I crack jokes that most FPS's today play out like JRPG's, just that they have a lack of menu driven combat, and its not far off from the truth these days

EDIT1: FYI I am 2-3 hours into this game, and I am bored stiff

I was expecting crazy wacky weapons and hyper like gameplay, instead I get a simple shooter where you OCCASIONALLY get to spend -MONEY- to hit enemies a little harder at times

Serious Sam craps all over this game for "Over the top" gunplay. I was expecting crazy visceral gunplay, instead I get bland run-of-the-mill shooting game where I am spending 99% of my time firing my default machine gun at enemies, where I occasionally have to charge a shot to knock a helmet off a brute

Just WHERE is the stuff this game claimed it had? I was expecting Duke Nukem or Serious Sam style Chainguns, lasers and Rocket Launchers, its NOT happened once in the game I am playing. Occasionally you get to pick up a minigun for -THIRTY SECONDS- outside of one long scripted scene, but the rest of the time its whip em into something, kick em into something

This game promised balls to the wall action, instead it plays out like Gears of War with even less maturity if you can picture such a thing. If you want over the top excitement, pick up Serious Sam HD, you can get the gold edition of both games for less then what I paid for Bulletstorm

Freaking shame too considering this is from People can Fly, who made Painkiller which was almost a homage to Duke Nukem and Serious Sam. To go from that to this is exactly -WHY- I hate consolization

15. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    Ive been playing single player of it on max setting 1080p 4x aa and runs silky smooth on my setup and only uses between 40-50% of my cards, and is probily the best looking game ever.
    [​IMG]

And this is my wallpaper.

[​IMG]

16. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    2-3 hours? You are almost finished. I'm not joking. Talk to me in 40 minutes.
    This was the shortest game I ever played. And I even had to replay 2 levels because of some bug that didn't let me continue and finish the level after you get killed.

17. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    You mean you have to reload the game -EVERY- time you die, because the game bugs out and won't let a cinematic or setpiece start up

Die, reload checkpoint, can't jump over wall, quit to main title, resume game, can jump over wall now, die again later, reload checkpoint, game glitches again and character won't initiate to move plot forwards, quit to main title, resume game

The radeon 6900 series bug ONTOP of all these game breaking bugs where I have to do multiple restarts and reloads shows this game had very, very, very little QA testing

EDIT1: Don't you love when the game tells you to whip and kick everything, then introduces an entire fleet worth of different enemies you can't whip and kick? Oh and to kill them normally is worth like no points

Its god damn fricken annoying to be -CHASING- an enemy across half the map kicking and kicking and kicking and all he keeps doing is leaping away from you

It tells you to shoot them in the legs to slow them down so you can whip and kick, but in the amount of bullets it takes to stumble them I could have spent 2 shells and just blew their heads off

Oh! And the snipers! Isn't that just -FUN- when you enter a new area and suddenly you are dead because you didn't possess the psychic powers needed to know you were walking into another sniper ambush with 10+ snipers attacking you? Pure fun

18. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    No, I mean for example the level with the room that you are not allowed to shoot because there is gas. I shot there. :D died. Last checkpoint loaded but the gun stayed down and I could not run or use kick or use the anything. The only way to continue is to replay the whole level from the beginning.

Also the level when you have to make it before the ship leaves. I died once. and after checkpoint loaded the hatch was already closed before the timer even started. Had to replay that whole level again.

19. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    http://www.***********com/file/k7Bk6BN replace stars with file serve without space in between.
    Here is my stormengine.ini and it contains unlocked FPS for both physx and graphics.
    Running in directx 10 mode default with no shadows bugs.
    Tested it only on ATI GPU with both crossfire and without it.

Just copy this file in C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config
    replace or overwrite. Tested on windows 7 64bit @ 1080P.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  20. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    All the talk about pirates, let me say this. A dice producer from BF3 team says that "pirating is the cause of pc death" is bull****. He says that PC has not been dying, and will not die anytime soon. He thinks that PC will get stronger and stronger again with the help from "microtransactions". And I couldnt agree more, this pirate talk is just an easy way of talking trash.