1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a newer gaming PC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, Feb 7, 2018.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi All,

I was thinking of building a new gaming pc, well, that's a little misleading. I was thinking of upgrading my CPU from 6700K (@4.7ghz) to an 8700K and running it on a Asus Strix Z370-G Gaming. It would cost me $518 for cpu and $299 for MB. I wasn't planning on upgrading my GTX 1080 Strix 11Gbps cards until I see the benchmarks of the "Volta" line of GPU's, and waiting until at least the GTX 2080Ti comes out, which I assuming according to all other time frames could be around mid 2019. (just speculating here).

Or the other option that I was thinking was getting a Ryzen 1800X - but this is a more expensive CPU, and I'm using my system purely for gaming - and internet and uni - but mainly gaming.

I had heard from other reviews that the Ryzen is not as good for gaming, that intel is the chip I should go for - or since I'm not upgrading anything other than CPU and MB,would it be better to wait I until the Volta comes out, have a look at the benchmarks, and upgrade to a whole new system. By then, hopefully prices will have dropped.

So is it worth upgrading to an 8700K at the moment or just wait and see what volta brings to the table. I don't think there is any bottleneck - and I can game comfortably at avg 55 fps ultra @4K in "ghost recon wildlands" plus I don't see that much of a drop in frame rates since I have a g-sync monitor - I.E. frame rate drops are not noticeable. But I know that the games coming out this year which I am looking forward to are Metro and Cyberpunk 2077. Then I may have to drop my graphics settings to get around the 55-60fps mark.

I'm leaning towards waiting until mid next year and see what it brings, looking at the benchmarks and reviews rather than spending over $800 on a cpu and mb that I don't really need right now (but would be nice to have, if it improved frame rates). I don't see any point in upgrading to 1080Ti in SLI because they are around $1200-$1500au each at the moment and since the volta cards are supposed to be coming in Q2 "hopefully". I'm trying to get away from having to use SLI do get decent frame rates in games - and all the problems that come with it and i'm hoping that a new system with a volta TI card would run 60fps @4K ultra settings, but again I am speculating here and will have to wait until the reviews come out.

So my question really is: - should I spend $800 now and get a new MB and CPU, (will it make that much of a difference), or wait until mid - end 2019 and upgrade then, since there is nothing I can't really run (gaming wise) that runs below 50fps ultra @4K.

All comments are appreciated to help me decide.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I'm not sure why you even want to upgrade your CPU (6700K). I personally would not do that since you probably won't get any massive gains, if you even get some.
    As you mention Metro and Cyberpunk, the first one is probably heavily limited by GPU performance anyway, the second one might be as well. Before you see any benchmarks, it's also very difficult to guess what Cyberpunk2077 will demand, and Metro as well... your only issue with the current rig you have is actually your 4K screen (because of the required GPU power, but then again it is not an issue since you were wise enough to get a Gsync screen).

You are absolutely right with the idea of waiting, I wouldn't do anything right now with your rig, other than enjoy the gaming ;)

Sempaii likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Stop wasting your parents money, you don't need an upgrade.

Especially when you are gaming at 4k.

Fast CPU is needed only when you are playing titles where GPU isn't a bottleneck. Example - CS:GO at 1080p 144hz+ with a GPU 1080Ti for example. In those cases where you play above 200+ fps CPU does matter as faster CPU can result in higher FPS.

In cases where you play at 4k, GPU is the bottleneck. Faster CPU will not make any difference at all.

So in short as I've said above, Do not buy a new CPU. 6700k is perfectly capable for what you are doing.

If you want to upgrade something, get a fast ssd/nvme, or invest into better cooling (AIO / water) which will allow you to OC your CPU higher.

Sempaii and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Pretty much zero benefit. Waste of money.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Here's a better idea:
    Make a dust-resistant PC instead!

Whats needed.

1) A nice set of case dust filters. Something like this: https://www.demcifilter.com/FRACTAL-DESIGN-R5

2) PSU which has zero RPM mode.Like this:

[​IMG]

3) Set your case fans to zero RPM for light power loads, like internet browsing, 2D games etc, and ramp up the fans past say 200W or when temp threshold* is exceeded. Should be doable with Corsair Link ... I think.

No airflow means no dust flow. Additional benefit: Silence. OR FLAMES!! If something goes wrong :D :D :D
    This is work in progress, an idea that I have been playing with lately. Waddya all think

EDIT: Yeah I get that it's dangerous, and that the heat dissipation will be severely hampered, due to almost nonexistent airflow. But it should be doable. Sorry for off-topic, but 6700 -> 8700 is meh.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Good idea. Although dust proof doesn't have to mean silent, silent isn't the same as quiet, and quiet doesn't have to mean 0 rpm ;)

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Idd, and I've corrected myself. It would not be dust-proof, merely dust-resistant :D

Yeah quiet doesn't have to mean 0 rpm -> There are case fans which are inaudible in decent closed cases, but you still get airflow=dust even when it's not needed. So that's why I thought why no zero RPM, while not gaming.
    All in all just an idea; not enough time atm to make it work

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Do it with your old hardware that you'd throw away otherwise, makes it quite rewarding! My first HTPC was based on an old LGA 775 platform with a passive graphics card and quiet case fans. My most <3 building ever! :D

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I know... been playing with HTPC idea since forever. Or maybe NAS server, or how about both. Too much ideas, not enough time, or maybe just too lazy :D :D

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    As others have said, you'd be wasting your money.