Build Revisit- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stukinit, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Hey guys, I don't know if you remember me from a while back asking about whether a pair of GTX260's would bottleneck my system and such...
    Well, I'm back now after some monetary troubles and hopefully this time I will be able to purchase my upgrade (although I'm almost happy that I had to wait, with 58xx series out now and the next line of GTX cards somewhere around the corner.)

Anyway, moving on:
    I have ~1,000 bones to spend, maybe a little more, and I need some advice yet again.

My current setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ OC @ 3.4 Ghertz

ASRock K10N780aSLI-Wifi (or something to that effect)

4 GB DDR2 800 @ 423 Mhz

2 Geforce 8600GTS SLI 256 MB

Apevia Aspire Mid-Tower Case

Corsair TX850w PSU (850 watts, 70 amp single rail)

And assorted HDD's, CDR & DVD RW drives

Now, on to my ideas for upgrading:

Haf 932

2 GTX 260 Core 216's

Phenom II 955 BE @ 4Ghz

Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler (damn I want the V10 cause it looks cool, but it costs too much still)

Win7 Ultimate

And Misc. Items (lights, fans etc.)

In this case I would keep my low-timed DDR2 (4-4-4-12) and my Mobo (it hasn't dropped in price since I bought it :3eyes:) and my assorted HDD's CD/DVD drives etc.

And when this is all added up, I get EXACTLY $1,006.45 for the cost:banana:

Now, what I ask is whether you guys have any suggestions for a build of equal or greater performance that is at the same price point, it can go higher, up to about $1200, but that would deprive me of a monitor budget, which would be unpleasant.

(P.S. You guys know by now that I love to have SLI or Xfire simply because of the brag rights, so *if* you want to incorporate that into the build then by gods do so.)
    (P.P.S. If you do include some form of Multi-card soln. then your screen-name will be included on a 'lil placard on the computer case, just for fun/recognition)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Lol forgot to state that the name will only be included if I choose to use the build provided

3. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It doesn't make any sense to spend money on DX10 as Fermi is around the corner and Radeon HD 5000 series is already out.

I vote against spending money on the GT2xx series.

I'd take either a 5850 or 5770 than a GTX260.

In addition, if it's a new build, I suggest a new board and maybe even DDR3 ;).

Also, Windows 7 Ultimate is a freaking waste of money. Either get Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional, no one really needs Windows 7 Ultimate. Microsoft actually removed features from the Ultimate version which makes it even less desirable compared to Windows Vista's Ultimate version.

deltatux

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    I concur with deltatux.

I'd recommend Windows 7 Professional at most, although Windows 7 Home Premium will satisfy most users.

DX10 is old. All the new technologies in DX11 (DirectCompute, real-time tesselation, that multi-level transparency, etc.) can greatly improve performance and IQ in both synthetic and real-world software.

Considering you have $1k to spend, you should wait to see how well GT300/Fermi stacks up. Specs predict over 2x the performance of GT200, putting it a decent ways ahead of the R800 architecture.

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    A $200 monitor budget is skimpy in my opinion.

I'd swing a single 5850, win 7 professional if you need the xp virtualization & remote desktop. IMHO it's worth the $30 price difference.

Take the $$$ you saved and put it towards your monitor budget so you can buy something decent. A quality monitor is a huge difference. Plus you can make use of a monitor much longer than the rest of the PC. I noticed you're a student, If you do a lot of text editing / programming on your PC then consider looking at monitors that support portrait mode.

6. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Well, ok, Here is my situation:
    I am a student and an avid gamer at that, and I quite honestly want the most performance now rather than having to wait X amount of time for something that I cannot afford (Fermi will only launch supah-high-end at the start), not to mention it is a system upgrade and not a new build entirely.

I, as some may have noticed, am an impatient person, and although it may not be "the newest" or "the best" it is cheap enough now AND compatible with my system without having to do a complete system rebuild. I have looked at the options and this is what lays before me:

A.) Build a new computer for ~$1k, will be roughly entry level and, considering I must also buy a motherboard and new RAM, it eats away at my overall budget.

B.) Wait- This is the most painful thing for me, as you know I am a student, no job atm, so money influx is painfully low, and I have waited quite a long time for what I can now spend... Hard choice in't it?

C.) Upgrade what I already have - To me, most logical choice because I have a "recent" motherboard (still $150) and it frees up (cost of motherboard) + (cost of RAM) for use in the CPU, GFX and System Unit (case) depts.

If someone could come up with a compelling build and not simply reasons, then I would agree, but if all I hear are theoretical #'s and opinions, I will be forced to stick with mine because I do not want to end up with an expensive lemon.

7. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Ok, Specifics:

Cooler Master Haf 932 : $140

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE : $175

Cooler Master V8 Cooler : $60

2X GTX 260 Core 216's : ~$370 - $430
    (SLI, which for me is Braggin' & all of the 58xx Series are sold out :bang::bang:)

OS Win7 : ~$200

and then assorted garbage for computer : ~$30

All for $1,005

8. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Intel i5 750 or 860
    Prolimtech Megahalems
    Radeon 5870 (for now)
    Windows 7

This is by far a better build

Don't ever get GT200, just wait if its out of stock.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The only issue with this...is that he doesn't want to replace motherboard and memory. The Radeon 5870 performs on par with the GTX295, which is faster than GTX260 in SLI. Later down the road, should you actually NEED more...you can get a Crossfire capable motherboard and another HD5870....or, you could look towards a pair of high-end Fermi based cards when the prices drop.

10. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Ok...

Ok, so the general Vibe I'm getting here is that the 5870 IS better than the setup I want to run and it would benefit me in the long run, check. I do not want to change out my Motherboard or RAM so, check. And the rest of the build is OK... check.

However there is one tiny, bitsy, problemo-
    All of the 58xx Series at Newegg go like hotcakes, and so there are none in stock... Damn you ATI and your slow Manufacturing!!!:bang::biggun:

So I'll just wait till they have one in stock, buy it, build my rig, add a lil placard with my name at the top lol, take pics, and return to G3d victorious... sounds about right... ok well thanks to all who helped, if you still wish to chime in with current suggestions then please do, as there is never such a thing as "too much input".

Thanks