Build Dead. Think it's the PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mechwarrior419, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Hey everyone. I came home today and my main rig was off, which is not the way I left it. When I tried to power the machine on it was completely dead. No fans spinning and no post code on the Mobo.

I suspected the PSU which is an Antec TPQ 1200 watt has been in use 24/7 for the past 7 year. I tried shorting the unit with a paper clip, and the fan didn't spin up so I'm assuming that it's dead.

The only thing thats confusing me is that the light on the back of the PSU is on when I have it plugged in and the lighting on the Mobo is on. However like I said I tried shorting the unit and it appears to be dead and the system refuses to show any other signs of life.

So my question is. Is it possible for a power supply to be dead but the lights on the back of the PSU and the main board still work?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Therein lies the most likely culprit. Understand this, a PSU has more power rails, it could deliver 5 V just fine, but 12V rails could be gone, so could be that cold boot/starting up is not possible anymore, but could light up some LED of maybe fans.
    Have a look at Jonny's guru top picks for PSUs. Never skimp on PSU. Never.

Babel-17 and Akumu like this.
  3. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Hey buddy, Really appreciate your insight.

Honestly I didn't realize how long this PSU has been in use. So I cant complain. The first system that It was in was
    a Sandy Bride-E ( i7 3960X heavily overclocked, As well as 2 Gigabyte GTX580s.

Soon after I upgraded the rig to 2 EVGA 780 Classified in SLI ( again higly OCed ). Unfortunately my Mobo decided to crap the bed taking out one of my GPUs with it.

Now, Im running and 17 6700k @ 4.7GHz w/ a highly OCed 980 TI Classified.

So it makes perefect sense that the PSU was on its last wake. Luckily I'm no longer running SLI or A super power hungery system.

From what I can figure I don't think I would need nearly as much wattage so I've been looking at high quality 750watt to 850watt PSUs. I've got about 100 dollars I can use to grab new PSU,
    If anyone could point me towards a good PSU in that price range that would awesome.

As always You guys are the best, and I really appreciate you all taken time out to help.

4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    You dont need nearly that wattage, evga has some nice prices. Id borrow a good unit to verify it first....

5. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Unfortunately I do not have anyone I know with a PSU that they could borrorw.
    I do have an ancient Antec 480watt PSU that powered on when I shorted the pins.

Unfortunately it only has a 4 pin CPU connector instead of the 8pin my board requires. It had crossed my mind to plug it into the system and see if at least the board cpu and ram booted. But I'm cautious of using a PSU with only a 4 CPU connector as well as the fact that it is so old. Although it didn't suffer nearly the abuse that the 1200watt did.

What do you guys think, should I give it a go and see if theh 480 watt works. Unfortunatelyl I'm between jobs so I am broke for the moment. So it is gonna be a long time before I can replace this, which is a pain in the ass since all my freelance programming work is on the inoperable machine.
    Look forward to what you guys have to say.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070

for me i wouldn't chance it.
    it depends on what cpu and whether or not you intend on using a gpu as well (uh oh!) you intend on using, but depending on an old psu to deliver may lead you to remember why you aren't using it anymore.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  8. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Do not worry about the 8 pin CPU connector, a lot of recent boards have 2 x 4 CPU power connectors available where the second is used for hardcore overclocking.