Bug (on my system) on Afterburner startup

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by gfg, Oct 26, 2021.

1. gfg

gfg Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 960M
    Hi.

When Afterburner starts (on my non-msi laptop - laptop is a key word here), there are times that it seems to work normally, but most of the time when i open it, i see that GPU clock and voltages are at 0. Starting a game has no effect and as it seems, underclocking the gpu does not work (yes! i need Afterburner for that, because i have a crappy overclocked gpu from factory and it's the only way for it to work properly!).

After having this problem for a while, i have found a solution that works (for me) 100% of the time, even though i have to manually execute it every time i restart the pc. I first execute Kombustor, select the "(VK) Phong-Donut" test and i run it with the default settings. While this is running, i start Afterburner. That's it.

From what i can understand, Kombustor forces my GPU to switch from the internal Intel GPU to the external nVidia one before Afterburner starts, and that's helpful for it to properly understand and communicate with the hardware.

With that said, i have a request here. Please add an option in settings which when checked, it will show a splash screen on Afterburner startup which will contain something similar to "(VK) Phong-Donut" (or some vulkan based MSI logo perhaps) which should be automatically closed after Afterburner has completed its startup and hardware detection process.

If you decide to implement this, i will of course be available for any testing you may require.

Thanks.

PS: Hardware used: Clevo N170SD.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Laptops are not supported.

but what you're describing is the normal behavior of an Optimus configuration GPU in deep sleep.

Why would the developer go and do that when Laptops are not supported.

Andy_K likes this.
  3. johnsluts

johnsluts Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce RTX 2
    I have the same issue about the on-screen display but for my PC some time I got complete and sometimes a part of the display see attachments, for RTSS I use 7.3.2.Beta and MSI afterburner I use 4.6.4 Beta 4, any Idea how to fix this issue

Attached Files:

4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @johnsluts if your display is using only internal gpu of your intel cpu and the dedicated graphics card is not in use and shut off RTSS can't display any value, because it is shut off.
    If this happens in a game, then that game is not using your dedicated gpu and you should look into the settings in the control panel.

5. johnsluts

johnsluts Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce RTX 2
    Could you tell me, what I have to look at the setting of control panel, as I do not use internal GPU of my intel CPU.

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Do you mean you disabled the iGPU in the BIOS?

Because if it's disabled the OS won't be able to use it and your dedicated GPU will always be active and RTSS can read it.

7. johnsluts

johnsluts Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce RTX 2
    Yes, I figure it out so I disable it in BIOS so far so good , Thanks.

8. johnsluts

johnsluts Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce RTX 2
    After a few days, it happens again, even though I disable iGPU in the Bios

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nobody besides you knows what exactly is misconfigured in your system. And there was zero reason to post it as “I have the same issue” in a thread about laptop. It won’t make it answered faster.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  10. johnsluts

johnsluts Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce RTX 2
    Thanks for tip I will open new thread