budget high end ATI card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by manothehour, Nov 1, 2005.

1. manothehour

manothehour Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
    hi, im on a budget, of say 100-200 dollars. could i get a card that will run all the new games well with that amount of money, or could someone point me in the right direction for a card that is cheaper but still runs new games well?

2. outbreak123

outbreak123 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr V
    X800 GT or GTO, or maybe a X800 Pro ( if you are really lucky :D )

3. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Is the system in your specs accurate? If so any chance of upgrading a few components, cos the X800 Series are bandwidth whores and are not gonna be too well fed by a P4 at 2.5GHz and I assume 533MHz fsb (could be 400MHz I guess)?

If it must be ATI, outbreak's recommendations are pretty groovy, I had a X800 Pro myself and flashed it to XT PE and its a damn fast card, cant recommend it highly enough. Do also consider a 6600GT/6800XT/6800 card too as they will likely be a happier partner for a slower P4 cpu. While I understand its not exactly the same situation, in many games and benchies when I had my Athlon XP 2400+ rig (400MHz FSB, 2.4GHz), my 6800NU was actually faster then my X800XT PE so bear that in mind. However, if you are buying with the future in mind, maybe an upgrade to a ULI board at some point then the X800GTO looks to be a solid bet although u'll have to weigh it against the extra features of the 6 Series cards. Have fun with whichever you get. :)

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    double_cut,

Just curious about your opinion as to how my system may fare with an X800XT (AiW). I'm seriously considering upgrading to that due to some decent pricing on this model lately.

5. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    It will likely be a decent upgrade from your 6600GT, especially if you are willing to overclock your P4, assuming its the 800MHz fsb version, as long as you can lock your memory speed at 400MHz (or whatever is stable) you should be able to get a healthy 3.5GHz overclock and a 1GHz fsb which *really* seems to help the X800 cards.

However, when I had my MSI 865PE board I couldnt get a stable overclock at 1GHz fsb and I put a lot of the blame on that fact and the 865PE chipset for the not amazing gaming performance of my X800XT PE. On my new 875P board the overclocking potential is a lot better and I run my P4 with a permanent 1GHz+ fsb at 3.7GHz or there abouts.

Id say hold off if you can and save for a total system overhaul (or even get an AMD64 cpu and ULI motherboard and use your 6600GT for a while longer), something AMD64 based and a 7 Series XI Series card or even a cheap PCIe X800/6800 Series card would give you a healthy boost. The X800XT is a great card, but I (and others) havent had the best expereince coupling X800 series cards with an Intel chipset and cpu so bear that in mind.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    DC,

I have the 800 FSB Northwood, but its OC potential is limited in my mobo. The X800XT AiW is probably among the last reasonable AGP choices I can go with other than a completely new PCI-e system. Also its going for $309 at NewEgg at the moment, which is a pretty good deal.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, PCI-e really is the way to go. But by going with the X800XT, I can put off that off by another year or more. Hmm, I'll have to think it over some more. Thanks.

7. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Had a quick look around and that price really is good, I cant see a 6800 Ultra for that kinda money which would be the equivalent card. If you really do plan on keeping it for a year or more id say go for it. Best case scenario you have a great card working very well which should certainly last you for a while, in the worst case scenario if it doesnt run too well, a new Intel based i875P board isnt a bank buster these days and should extend the life of your P4 by a considerable amount as well as improving the performance overall of your system and your X800XT (my XT PE runs sweetly in my new i875P board).

At that price even if it doesnt run amazingly well, you can work around it for less then the money you saved and VIVO is a damn nice function to have (i love it anyway) so at the end of the day no matter what happens you *should* come out smiling. :)

8. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    If you choose to go ATi, I'd look in the direction of an X800 GTO. Of course, as double_cut has already said, ATi cards are generally going to require a powerful CPU (with a more powerful FSB) to bring out their full potential. My X800 Pro used to run in an old 2.0A P4 rig and, needless to say, the difference now (running an A64 3000+) is huge, while the 6600 GT I have in their now puts out numbers comparable to most any other stock GT on the market running with any CPU.

In any case, another choice you may want to look at is the 6800 or possibly the 6600 GT as well. For the most part, they're both a bit slower, but have larger feature sets than the GTO, most notably SM3.0 technology, which may come in handy if you plan on using this card for an extended period of time.

All fantastic cards... Here are a couple reviews of the GTO, both of which compare it to the 6600 GT and/or 6800 (which perform similar anyway). Good luck :)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1711
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3575&page=1&search=X800 GTO