BSODs with driver 441.x but works with 445.23?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by xatornet, Nov 26, 2019.

1. xatornet

xatornet New Member

GPU:
    GTX 2999Ti
    HI there,

I've been having a very weird problem. I've ruled out all other hardware, testing RAM stability, CPU stability, disabling any overclock, reinstalling drivers with DDU...etc.

The problem is very simple:
    It happens with Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order. Whenever I get into the game, randomly (sometimes I get to play 5 min, sometimes 15, sometimes 40 seconds) my system freezes and i get a BSOD claiming "CRITITAL PROCESS DIED" and system reboots.
    In my desperation, I tried several drivers, 441.20, 441.34... all the same results. But, a last, I've decided to try a dumped 445.23 driver from the Win10 preview (i'm not using insider build, I'm in plain old 1909 build), and to my surprise, the BSOD is gone. Game works as it should. I've tried then, returning to 441.x version, and the same happens: BSOD.

My system is:
    Intel Core i9 9900k -Stock/No OC
    Asus Maximus X Hero WIFI bios 2203
    EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 - Stock/No OC
    32 Gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair LPX Vengeance, XMP Profile enabled
    Samsung 970 Evo as Boot drive
    Samsung 750
    Optane memory 32gb
    WD RED 2Tb
    Dell 2518D @ 1440p 60Hz
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 fully updated

I'm going crazy trying to make sense of this behaviour...

2. Tantawi

Tantawi Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX3070
    BSOD fixed with new drivers? not surprising, stick with the latest you can find.

3. xatornet

xatornet New Member

GPU:
    GTX 2999Ti
    Yeah, but 445.23 are from Windows Insider build, they aren't even supposed to be compatible with 1909 stable branch. That is what's weird. That, and the fact that i've searched long and wide on forums about the Star Wars BSOD, and seems I'm the only one having it...o_O

4. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    this might be problem with gpu hardware. try it with another pc and see what it does.......

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well wouldn't be a first time a preview / unofficial / beta driver fixes issues a "stable" driver has.
    Apparently release 440 drivers (440.x to 444.x) cause that BSOD with your hardware / software combination for whatever reason, in that game.

445 is different branch so guess it changes whatever causes the BSOD.

Chances are a game patch may resolve this as well later. Or a Windows update.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Op discovered the issue was tied to the current Asus provided audio driver for the maximus X hero wifi, since downgrading it no longer occurs.

7. SKIBA

SKIBA Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 S / 6 GB
    Have you written to EA support on this issue? It would be better to let them know. And secondly, maybe there was "something wrong"in the system. I'm going to buy this game. OS 1903.