1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSOD With Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by matthew75843, Jun 16, 2012.

1. matthew75843

matthew75843 New Member

GPU:
    2x His 6870
    Hi,
    I have a very odd problem that i cannot for the life of me figure out, Both cards individually work in the system, no hardware failure, as far as im aware, anyways ill get down to the problem, i installed the 2nd 6870 and windows booted, but CCC would not show crossfire mode (yes ribbon was in), so i re-installed the drivers, and when the computer boots with both of them on i get a bsod with the error code C3, and when i remove one of the cards the system will boot normally, so far ive tried drivers 12.3 and 12.4 to no avail, other things ive done was hook the 2nd card up to a separate psu to eliminate power issues, like i said, the system runs fine with 1 card, but when i install the 2nd it will boot normally (Before i re-install the drivers to enable crossfire) or it will just bsod (After the drivers were installed), also re-installed a fresh copy of windows 7 home premium 64 bit

sys specs
    Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 = 3.0ghz
    8gb ddr2 ram g.skill
    2 HIS 6870's 1gb
    600w rosewill psu
    ASUS P5K-E-WIFI
    Seperate PCI WIFI card
    PCI raid controller
    2x 500gb seagate drives raid 0
    1x 2tb seagate drive

I'm starting to believe that my motherboard is unable to support both of these cards..... but i dont know, any help is greatly appreciated, if all else fails i got my eye on an AMD FX Zambezi ;P but i dont want to upgrade if i dont have to, thanks

2. Marco Borsato

Marco Borsato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Possibly a BIOS issue, any BIOS updates available for your motherboard at ASUS.com? I just googled your motherboard and found a thread from a guy with a similar issue, only he wants to crossfire 2 4850's but as soon as he installs both cards his PC will BSOD too. Here it is: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...42?msgId=0968e05d-226d-4ab8-afc0-ee9e2d1a72a5

Edit: He says after he deleted the AMD HD Audio device driver, his problem was solved. Might give that a shot!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  3. matthew75843

matthew75843 New Member

GPU:
    2x His 6870
    wow, that actually fixed it, but i cant get CCC to enable crossfire, downloaded the profile, but its not showing up in CCC, ps this fix should be a sticky

remove the amd audio driver

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. Marco Borsato

Marco Borsato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    I was checking out the specifications of your motherboard and I noticed this:

"2 x PCIe x16 (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x4 or x1 mode) supports CrossFire Technology" What this means is that if you run Crossfire mode on this board, your second card will only run @ x4 speed, this means you can't use the full potential of the cards due to lack of bandwidth. I don't think this motherboard is good enough to run crossfire anyway, you might wanna read this article:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/493

5. matthew75843

matthew75843 New Member

GPU:
    2x His 6870
    yeah, im using this motherboard until i do a complete overhaul, cpu, motherboard and ram, im wondering if it automatically disables crossfire settings, i installed the profile and it still dosnt show up, gpu-z recognizes both cards, and sees crossfire is disabled.

6. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC