BSOD Win 10 x64 GTX 960 HDMI UHD@60hz Repeatable

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nullack, Oct 2, 2015.

1. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    Hi,

Windows 10 x64 GTX 960 running a UHD display @ 60hz through HDMI 2.0

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get 3D playback to work on this platform with powerdvd 15 3d bluray disc playback. It all goes fine with the nvidia 3d setup and the 3d medical image test. The setup tells me to set my 3D HD resolution to 1920x1080 and 24 fps. It seems that my Samsung 65" curved UHD LED display can only do 3d mode playback at fullscreen at HD resolutions not UHD resolutions and it has to shift modes wehen doing this. For UHD resolutions on my Samsung display I can only feed UHD via HDMI 2.0 as there is no displayport.

Everytime now when I try to play any 3d movie that is going to need to go from normal 2d UHD 60hz to fullscreen 3D HD mode 1920x1080 24fps I get a BSOD. Both 3d blurays and local file 3d samples BSOD. I've done this both with the nvidia drivers for both WHQL 355.98 and the dev occulus driver 356.04 - same BSOD.Analysis of the crash is showing that its the nvidia drivers that is causing it as per below:

[​IMG]

I've tried wiping the drivers using DDU in safe mode and reinstalling but that doesnt fix it

I noticed for some reason the colour is RGB only in the available list of options in the nvidia control panel for HD 3D 1080P 24fps mode whereas in my native non 3d UHD resolution with 60hz it defaults too YCBCr420. Though for some other reason in 2d mode UHD 60hz the output dynamic range drop down list item in the nvidia control panel is greyed out and unchangeable.

How do I get nvidia onto this and have it fixed? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What is the exact model of your TV?

3. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    Its a Samsung Series 9 65" curved UHD LED LCD TV in the Australian market

Model UA65HU9000

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Okay, if you're running your PC direct to the TV you should be able to get 4:4:4 RGB at 3840x2160. Do you have the have the HDMI input you are using set to PC device type? If you have it set for game, you'll only get 4:4:0 or possibly 4:4:2 capability.

5. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    High bit colours and chroma sampling PYCBR 4:4:4 can be set within the TV (it requires the hdmi port to be specifically set with nothing plugged in) but since theres no film sources of high bit video material until something like UHD bluray comes along theres no real point.

Anyway this isnt the point of this thread. The issue is the BSOD everytime an apps tries to go full screen with nvidia 3d enabled. Its not just power dvd 15 that will crash on 3d bluray playback, any video playback or even any directx app going full screen will cause the crash when the nvidia 3d is enabled, even if its just 2d content going full screen.

The only work around for the moment is not to run with 3d enabled in the nvidia control panel and not attempt to playback 3d material as obviously it wont render in 3d without the mode being on

6. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    So I take it no one knows how to get support/fixes from NVIDIA?

I've tried posting on their forum here at:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...60-hdmi-uhd-60hz-repeatable/?offset=2#4686481

But it gets easily lost in the ocean of other user noise and I deeply suspect NVIDIA are at arms length with 99.999999% of the noise on that forum

The "NVIDIA Support" section has no actual support beyond their knowledge base or forums

This is hopeless, how in 2015 does a major IHV not have the ability for users to submit hard crashes in their ring 0 drivers that crashes the whole system. I guess its dollars, support costs and NVIDIA does do costs....

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah. No one knows.
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
    http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=8ab5b74b2b9b490b2fc1481d01a3e28b
    I mean it's not like these links are being posted in pretty much every first post of driver feedback threads on these forums you're talking about.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  8. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    Pull ya head in pal

Those nvidia questions have a big label in the front page saying:

"STOP!!! Please read this before submitting a question!"

And it goes onto say its about nvidia technology questions not support

Ill try your second link, thanks for that even if ya are an arrogant turkey. I dont hold much hope with it, cos this isnt actual support with a tracking ticket and ongoing management / SLA etcetc. Feedback is different to support. Anyway maybe it will bear fruit who knows.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    I've had may problems when switching to an UHD tv, and the only thing that solved the 4:2:0 color issue was a proper, 2160p cable. Was kinda hard to find, most 1.4a cables aren't really capable of it, go for a better, more expensive one. Now I've even managed to get proper 3D 4k with Tridef 3D. I don't have any 3d 4k movies though... But games are a blast!

I've got an LG 49'' 4k tv.

10. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    Thats not true. Between HDMI 1.4 and 2.0, there is no physical connector difference. The difference is in the chips driving the communication. The actual physical cabling and connectors all use the same standard, being the high speed HDMI standard. You either had a defective cable or youve been fooled into marketing voodoo by unscrupulous salesman

11. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    This is still happening on the new 358.50 drivers. Everytime I have the stereoscopic 3d enabled and Im at my UHD 2D desktop not my 1980 3D desktop, any process trying to go full screen like a game or video will immediately throw a BSOD. The error report is different under 358.50 but it does still BSOD. Using the MS windows debug toolset I did an analyse -v on the crash dump and it said:

"VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
    The video scheduler has detected that fatal violation has occurred. This resulted
    in a condition that video scheduler can no longer progress. Any other values after
    parameter 1 must be individually examined according to the subtype."

This is all on the same system, GTX960, Win 10 x64, UHD 60 Hz HDMI 2.0 into a 65" UHD 3D LED LCD samsung TV

12. nullack

nullack Member

GPU:
    Titan
    For anyone else suffering from the 3d playback bug with setups like mine the 3d bug can be fixed by:

1. Going to the windows 10 insider build 10565
    2. Going to the NVIDIA beta driver version 358.50

Those two changes will fix the 3d playback for setups like mine