1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bsod, kmode_exception_not_handled

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by 1993drake, Jul 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    Hey guys, I have had this issue happen just now and a couple hours back, been trying to look around for a fix but there is nothing to be found.

I am running a 2600k @4.5ghz, 1.23v.
    1600 Mhz Ripjaws ram.
    amd radeon hd 6950, flashed to 6970.
    Windows 7 64-bit.
    I do use Afterburner just to get a custom fan profile.

Could someone please advise me as to how i can upload a minidump so we can figure out this issue? The crash happened while I was watching a TV show on VLC.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Kernel Mode exception error.
    It's caused by a corrupt ntfs.sys, which usually means a faulty HDD or SATA/IDE controller.

1st thing I would do is check the event log for errors related to drivers or HDD controllers, this should give u a good indication of where the problem is.

Then run a diagnostics check on your HDD if needed...running chkdsk /r or /f can also repair the bad files if the HDD turns out to be OK.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    did run a checkdisk on the hard drive, its a relatively new SSD, and the rest fo the system was bought a month ago.. using bluescreenview, its saying the culprit is ntoskrnl.exe. I have no idea what that is.. thank you for the quick response!

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It could also be attributed to your high OC and lowish vcore which I just noticed, if the BSOD's persist try reducing OC or raising vcore.

I had a similar BSOD and it turned out to be my CPU corrupting data iirc.

5. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    Idk if this is it but i will try to bump up the vcore a bit... but honestly it played nice for 8 hours on p95... so.. yeah. and is there any way for me to post the dump so you could see it or?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    With Bluescreen viewer I think, but tbh I wouldn't stress about one bsod.

It's when they happen often you can start worrying....

7. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    Just had another, same KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, drivers involved were, ndis.sys+64110 ntoskrnl.exe+776be and nwifi.sys+a5e7. This time it happened while I was browsing the web.

8. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    anyone?

whered you go sir pill monster

9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I usually get this error if my overclocks aren't stable. Check your settings and do stress tests.

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    NDIS is the Windows wireless API, so your wireless driver is causing memory issues with the Windows NT Kernel.

In reality, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is a very vague error to be honest. Anything wrong in kernel space (or kernel mode in Windows parlance) either locks up the system or cause this BSOD. It could be any kernel space drivers or hardware failure that causes this error. It's basically saying the error hasn't been handled by any software error containment systems.

deltatux

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

11. 1993drake

1993drake New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    it comes up with a few different ones, all of which ntoskrnl.exe is involved but additional: hal.dll win32k.dll ndis.sys

12. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    of course ntoskrnl.exe is involved, it's kernel mode. ntoskrnl.exe is the Windows NT Kernel which is the heart and soul for all Windows NT family OS from Windows NT 3.1 all the way to Windows 7 and beyond.

hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer library, so it handles all the hardware mapping to the OS. win32k.dll, not too sure about this, but could be part of the kernel. NDIS, I just explained, it's the layer that handles all network interfaces.

So it still points towards either a faulty network driver or network card.

deltatux

13. sly0ne23

sly0ne23 New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 1GB
    B S O D shut down problems

I've had this problem a few times couldn't find the problem so i did a full rebuild and what i found was i had changed the cpu fan for a thermatake fan which is attatched to the back of the motherboard took fan off and noticed the thermal paste had dissapated from the centre of the CPU. My machine wasn't overclocked so i bought new thermal paste redid the paste but every couple of months still happens going to change to watercooled soon. If people get same problem check the thermal paste on the CPU. thats what i found was the cause.:pc1:

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Possible bad RAM. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED is one of the dozen or so BSOD's that can be generated if a stick of RAM goes on you. Recommend running memtest86+ for a bit and seeing if you get any failures.

ahossein likes this.
  15. ahossein

ahossein Member

GPU:
    1080 G1
    I'v just this issue, ran the memtest86+, in one minute the screen turned black, so the culprit is definitely the faulty ram. Btw, yesterday I had the Memory_Management BSOD, no body on the web suggested that it maybe a result of the faulty ram, but I suspected that the culprit may be the ram.