1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSOD in 3Dmark06 - only with rivatuner

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by pigmonkey, Feb 16, 2008.

1. pigmonkey

pigmonkey New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512
    EDIT: BSOD in 3Dmark06 - only with rivatuner

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm NOT using rivatuner to over clock, i'm just using the monitor. i have all the power user options disabled.

I get a BSOD just before firefly forest begins if rivatuner (monitor) is open. when i run 3DMark06 while rivatuner is closed, it finishes normally.

i'm using version 2.06
    i have 8800gts 512 on 171.23 (it also happend with 169.39)
    it used to work fine, i would monitor the fan and temp while running 3dmark.

what could the problem be?

Thanks,
    Pigmonkey.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Too much stress on your card/system.

3. pigmonkey

pigmonkey New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm NOT using rivatuner to over clock, i'm just using the monitor. i have all the power user options disabled.

Thank you for answering.

would you mind explaining it a bit further, i just don't get it.

why would rivatuner put stress on the system?
    it runs normally after i close it...

thanks again,
    Pigmonkey.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    While very small RT uses system resources. In your case maybe it's too much. Turn off all OSD items then turn on one at a time. Troubleshoot your system. Try reinstalling.

5. Bruty

Bruty Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 512 800/2000/2100
    I have random shutdown system when is running rivatuner 2.06.I will wait for RT2.07 to test.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

2.07 won't help those who have unstable systems. Forget about the "fix" from my side and just quit using RT, if you think that it is responsible for your problems.

7. pigmonkey

pigmonkey New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512
    the system is rock stable, i ran memtest for 24 hours with no errors. orthos for 24 hours doesn't give any errors. so is prime95 and 3dmark06. i also ran orthos simultaneously with 3dmark06. and the only problem occurs when i run rivatuner (just using the monitor).
    also happens with official 169.21

thanks,
    pigmonkey.

8. Unwinder

If it is crashing, it is NOT rock stable. And I repeat once again that I won't be able to help you and new versions won't help you, either fix your system or stop using RT.

9. Bruty

Bruty Member

GPU:
    @unwinder

I accept your answer.I do not apply ´fix´ from your side resolve my problems.When is problem that I use your program I mustn´t.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  10. Unwinder

That's up t you either to accept my answer or not. And it is up to me to choose whether to treat it as potnetial RivaTuner issue or not. Whenever you like it or not, I cannot help you and I'm no longer a free customer service, helping anyone to solve third party issues with his system. Doinng the same about a half year ago with PunkBuster was a big mistake from my side.
    So just don't use RT.

11. Bruty

Bruty Member

GPU:
    Ok....

12. pigmonkey

pigmonkey New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512
    My problem is solved, what caused it was the /3GB switch in the boot.ini like desertjedi described here . once i removed the switch 3dmark06 ran properly.
    i have foolishly disregarded the MMIO notice, thinking it is only PunkBuster (which i'm not sure what it is anymore) related.

thank you desertjedi, and thank you unwinder for trying to help, it was my bad for not reporting the mmio thing.

Pigmonkey.

13. Bruty

Bruty Member

GPU:
    @unwinder

Problem is fixed with Nvidia FW174.31 and RT 2.07.No more random shutdowns...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  14. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Pigmonkey, using the /3GB switch in WinXP Pro with 4GB of RAM doesn't cause me any problems with games or benchmarks.

But my friend has the same OS with 4GB and when he uses the switch, he can't run some games - ones that work just fine on my box!

We have no idea why he has troubles and I don't. There are some little apps that freak out with the /3GB switch but oh well.

You are using WinXP Pro right, not Home? According the MS white paper on the /3GB switch, this is only meant for Pro not Home.

After doing research, my understanding of the /3GB switch used with 4GB of RAM:

With switch:
    Apps get 3GB and Kernal gets 1GB

Without switch:
    Apps get 2GB and Kernal gets 2GB

The key point to remember is that not that WinXP can't see more than 3GB. It's that WinXP can't see more than 3GB at one time.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  15. pigmonkey

pigmonkey New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 512
    Thanks desertjedi, i am using XP Pro. i too didn't experience any problems with the /3GB switch in games (cod4, bioshock, crysis, pro evolution, AOE3), nor with benchmarks (3dmark06, aquamark) the only problem that occurd was while running 3dmark simultaneously with rivatuner.
    for the time being i disabled the /3GB switch.

thanks again,
    Pigmonkey.

16. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

Both claims are wrong.
    It depends on the devices hooked to the motherboard, since they all need address domains.