BSOD and atikmpag.sys error

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by adisone, Jan 13, 2015.

1. adisone

adisone New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
    Specs first:

Windows 7 x64

Asus h81m-k motherboard

i5 4460 3.2 gHz processor

Radeon 6850 HD graphics

8GB RAM

650W PSU

A few days ago (10.01.2015) I was playing a game of League of Legends and suddenly my screen went black and after few seconds I got BSOD (mentioning 0x016 error and atikmpag.sys) and PC restarted. After that, every time I turn on my PC in normal mode I got BSOD. I managed to do full graphics drivers uninstall while in safe mode, but as soon as I reinstalled them - got BSOD again.

Things I tried so far : reinstalling system, clean driver instalation, bios update.

Computer works fine without AMD drivers,but as soon as I install them I get BSOD. Tried installing just the driver (without raptr, CCC, audio drivers etc), doesn't work. I really have no idea what else to do. Help

2. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    sounds like the cards dying or even dust build up inside the pc

you can try taking out the card and cleaning the gold fins with a pencil rubber

otherwise its time for an upgrade :)

3. adisone

adisone New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6850 HD 1GB
    I honestly don't think the graphics went kaput because I've talked with a few people who also started having this problem recently without an apparent cause....

4. dragonhammer

dragonhammer Member

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7970 3GB DDR3
    Honestly I had same problem... in the same lapse/period of time!
    My solution?
    Uninstalling and DDU (software useful) cleaning OMEGA driver (last "AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL") and reinstalling 14.6 rc2..old ones... ("amd-catalyst-14.6-rc2-windows-june23")
    Disabled hardware acceleration on FLASH (on the browser... since I had another kind of bsod...).
    After that I got no more... BSOD like that (or other like with flash accelleration!).
    my 2 cents...

P.S.
    I did dust/CLEAN the vidcard... and re-inserted in the slot by the way.... TOO! Checked power and everything else (memtest... all the "package")

My specs are updated... OS, vidcard, everything... still win7x64

I hope this helps...
    :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

5. xakaitetoia

xakaitetoia New Member

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB BST OC D-X
    I have also similar problem but not with BSOD. I have the usual pop up message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" when playing games. Tried registry fixes..everything with drivers uninstall and install. Don't know if any previous drivers are stable that work with specific video cards. Anyone else have something i missed for solution ?

6. Ankur Samanta

Ankur Samanta New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire amd r7 250 1gb
    am also having the same problem ... i have checked with the WhoCrashed software ...
    The details are :

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032815-28766-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0xB848)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8009353010, 0xFFFFF8800420B848, 0x0, 0x2)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
    product: AMD driver
    company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
    Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This thing is usually happening when i am trying to view hd contents .
    Please help.!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance