Brutal Fate

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Sep 15, 2020 at 9:36 AM.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The tree that is old-school fps goodness just keeps on giving:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1409460/Brutal_Fate/

Sgt. Mark IV - the creator of Brutal Doom - is creating a game of his own!

Similarities to Brutal Doom are evident but that's not bad at all. Possibly he has wanted to make this for a while.
    Likely runs on the GZDoom engine too.

EDIT: yes, GZDoom engine (from Steam page):

• Mod it until it breaks. Running on the highly reliable GZDoom engine, this game is extremely easy to be modified. You can make mods adding custom weapons, enemies, levels, and entire new user-made campaigns.

Also a bit of info about Early Access (from Steam page):

• How this game will work on Early Access?
    • You will have a demo campaign of about 6 to 8 levels and 2 boss fights, and at least one Horde Mode map (where you must defend an arena from waves of enemies). A free 2 level demo will be included on the same day Early Access launches.As days goes by, the Early Access builds will keep geting more levels (generally Horde Mode levels, because they are the best kind of levels to test the gameplay aspects of new weapons and monsters being added), and eventually in 2022, the game will receive a full launch with it's main plot-driven campaign.

Personally will grab this as soon as available (Early Access January 2021).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:26 PM
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
  3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Hmm, it could be interesting, but I hope the levels improve. Some of it looked nice, but it was no Ion Fury.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That footage is early alpha and only a snippet even then so I wouldn't judge too much based on that yet.
    If Sgt Mark IV's map packs are any indication the level design should be great.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Looks interesting.
    Already added to my Steam wish list.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'll also copy-paste the FAQ bit from Steam here:

I know people have many questions about this project. I gathered the most asked ones and put them together here.

At what state the game will reach Early Access?
    You will have a demo campaign of about 6 to 8 levels and 2 boss fights, and at least one Horde Mode map (where you must defend an arena from waves of enemies).

Will it feature a free demo?
    Yes, 2 levels.

Is this basically Brutal Doom Standalone?
    No. This is a whole new game. No code or maps have been recycled from Brutal Doom, everything is rewritten from scratch. The game will also feature several different gameplay mechanics (like dashing, portable medikits, alternate ammo types, health and armor upgrades, etc.). It's a really different experience.

What's the game's tone?
    Action-horror, kinda inspired by Quake 1 and Doom 64. Fast gameplay, powerful guns. The game will feature a retro-futurism cyberpunk aesthetic (see 80s and 90s sci-fi movies, such as Aliens, Starship Troopers, Event Horizon, Blade Runner etc. and you will get an idea)
    Highly customizable experience, you will be able to independently tweak how much damage enemies does or how abundant ammo pickups are. You can either set enemy count to high and reduce enemy damage to a minimum and ammo to a max to play it in a very arcade-ish fashion, or set it to have fewer enemies, or crank up the settings to create a more realistic and horror-like experience.

What the soundtrack is going to be?
    Soundtrack is planned to be pretty varied just like the original Doom games. The main themes will be a mix of Darksynth and Metal (like, real metal, no djent). Also including sections with ambient drone music, and orchestral-like music. Often songs will change during the the game when there is a huge fight or a boss battle.
    Will the campaign have branching paths and alternative endings?
    Yes. At least 3 dramatically different endings based on the decisions you take during the playthrough,

Will it have post-game unlocks and new game+?
    This is a planned feature. Like, beating the game at a certain difficulty, or under a certain time, or with some conditions, unlock stuff like secret magic weapons, special modes, etc.

Will it feature multiplayer?
    In a limited form. The primary purpose of this game is to provide a singleplayer experience. But extended multiplayer can be offered as a form of an addon.
    The engine itself can only support limited peer-to-peer multiplayer up to 8 players which really only works well on LAN games. To have access to full, smooth, "join at any time" 64 people multiplayer servers, you will need to install Zandronum (which is free, but it's an engine with proprietary code and can't be shipped with the game, so you need to manually download and install it).
    But the campaign is entirely designed taking cooperative multiplayer in mind. You should be able to finish it with several players without sequences being broken. On post-launch, if there is demand, I can start working on more multiplayer modes, PvP level packs, etc.

Will it come to other stores? (GOG, Epic)
    Eventually, yes.

Will it come Linux and Mac?
    Eventually, yes.

Will it come to Android?
    Maybe. Not sure. But you probably can just make a copy of the game and put it on your phone to run under GZDoom's Android port, but you imagine it would be -extremely- difficulty to play this game with touchscreen controls.
    Will it support VR?
    I don't have a VR headset to test it, but the engine does feature native VR support, so adding it shouldn't be difficulty.

Will it be released on consoles?
    Slow things down, pal. Making games for consoles is extremely expensive and difficulty. The game will need to sell well on PC first, so I can have money to hire a team to work on console versions. Let me finish this game for PC first, make sure everything is well polished, and then maybe I will start thinking about it.