1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken xfr 2700x caused by x470 taichi bios 3.10 above confirmed and need a fix

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by kilyan, Apr 24, 2019.

1. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Hi, my pc wont boost past 3700mhz in cinebench and 3900mhz in games.I think the ppt tdc and edc got messed up but i don't know what are supposed to be the correct values. On ryzen master i heard is not possible to reach those values , its very limited, so need to put them manually on bios.
    Anyone know these values? Until bios 2.00 it was boosting 4200-4300 mhz.
    Pls help
    thx

2. Maddogjm

Maddogjm New Member

GPU:
    Vega64lc
    I am having the same issue. was boosting to 4.2-4.3. Also many advanced bios options have disappeared. I have reverted back to 2.00. and the bios options returned, but I am still having problems getting to boost, wants to 3.9 for all-core. If I let it cool way down and then run it, it will boost well for a minute and then revert, i was able to maintain 4.15 all core previously.(edit: I got that sorted out, I had accidentally set voltage offset to .0875 instead of -.0875 and so it was running hot and reducing clocks. ) so that fixed 2.00 back but still 3.2 is not boosting properly.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Well i was playing AcRogue and i found that 3.20 di not break precision boost overdrive(it's not xfr as i stated n the title of this discussion). I discovered reading various threads on the topic, that Ac Rogue has it's max settings limited to not max. So for example: texture quality=1 can in reality reach value 2. Playing with ubisoft default max settings the game was never boosting enough, it reached 3950 mhz max. But when i pumped up all the values to their real max on the ini config file, it started boosting further up to 4200 mhz. So i think precision boost after bios 2.00 was tweaked to save energy and boost only if necessary. Until bios version 2 was probablly boosting even if not needed. In any case i had 60 fps, so i have to test this in more heavy games to have a confirmation of my theory.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Boosting is controlled by OS power management too. (Win10: Power Plan => Advanced Settings => Processor Power Management => Min/Max Processor state [%])
    Changing Min/Max to 100% Makes CPU clock to stay always as high as possible. (Eats like 25W more watts at idle.)
    Or you can put both to 0/0% and that makes my 2700X sit down to 2.2GHz even under full load.

As for BIOS 3.10/3.20. I have not tested them since they are not for Zen2 and therefore not worth effort. (New tweaking of memory clock/timings for few months till Zen2 arrives.)
    But there are few important options which affect boosting: XFR, PBO, Power Limit, under-volting.
    IIRC Till 2.00 Power limit had options for Power/Performance and one could set actual limit in Watts. And I have CPU under-volted by 75mV.
    Then I think PBO is disabled by default as it is officially outside of standard behavior.
    = = = =
    I guess that you guys are well familiar with those above, so it is just a checklist in case some related option is now hidden in some sub-menu. As ASRock has quite a few sub-menus there.

5. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    If you use ryzen balanced or balanced changes already, even if have the same values set (for me is always minimum 5% and max 100%), on balanced i was able to reach a boost to 4200, on ryzen balanced 4000.
    Pbo and xfr option are still there, and they are both set to auto (pbo can be disabled or auto, xfr enabled, auto or disabled).
    I never touched voltages,it's all auto. it just clearly behaves differently after bios 2.00.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    You are looking into wrong menu.

PBO is disabled by default, therefore option where choice is AUTO/DISABLED is to either Force Disable, or use option from following location:
    Advanced => AMD CBS => NBIO Common Options => XFR Enhancement => Menu with Accept/Decline "At Own Risk" => Enable PBO

In menu above (Advanced => AMD CBS => NBIO Common Options), you have:
    Determinism Slider Power/Performance, cTDP Control "Manual" (if you like next option), cTDP [Watts]

Yakk likes this.
  7. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    i don't see anything like this:
    https://imgur.com/a/Dt1s2Lv

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    Ultimate performance profile tends to help with pbo on my system

9. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Don't have that either. Where is that?

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    You did find it, just path changed. Lower image shows:
    "XFR Enhancement"
    And from there, sub-menus should be: => Menu with Accept/Decline "At Own Risk" => Enable PBO

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    Enter:

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

In an admin command prompt then turn it on in power profiles.

Yakk likes this.
  12. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I read about it, and no thx, i don't use high performance either.
    What i want is to have the same boosting as for bios 2.00 below, with the same powerplan (balanced), with same bios settings i had on the old bioses.
    Suggesting to tweak settings to achieve the same result is not what i want.
    I want the same boosting capability i had before with old bioses with same precise settings. and i achieved that just making the game more demanding changing it's config file.

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    Go back to old bios then

14. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    It doesn't bother me if to achieve the results i want i have to tweak few settings in a config file, so i can stay on this bios and wait ryzen 3000