Broken 8800gtx

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stainy_uk, Sep 28, 2009.

1. stainy_uk

stainy_uk Member

GPU:
    BFG260OC55MAXCORE+8GTX
    When i tried to boot up my computer i got to the bios screen where it shows memory and cpu just there was broken lines across the screen and all the way down to the bottom. It got to the boot selector screen ie winxp, vista, win 7 still with lines. I tried selecting each op system and when they tried to load up each came back with, BSOD, so i tried each card on there own, 1 of the cards booted up no lines the other had lines(faulty). So i put both cards back in but without the sli connector and windows booted, windows detected both cards, so i shut down, added sli connecter and same again BSOD, so my question is this, Is faulty 8800gtx really knackered or could it be fixed? thx

What performance would i get if i put in my physx card in place of my faulty gtx for physx. thx again

1 more thing i really need good game performance and 1 8800gtx just can't cut it anymore, i game at 1920 x 1200 what is the best replacement to give the same or better performance of 2 8800 gtx's or am i better getting another gtx from ebay. thx to all replys

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Definitely looks like the one 8800GTX is broken. If you can't get a RMA anymore, you could try this:

NVIDIA GPU resurrected after 10 minutes at 425F/218c
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=296870

In case you want to stay with Nvidia, you could get a GTX295, two GTX260, two GTX275, or two GTX285 - or wait until November for Nvidia to release their next generation of GPUs.

(Otherwise the ATI 5870 is a great card, too.)

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Indeed

i would try the oven bake it works for most people even on laptop mobos ect.

4. stainy_uk

stainy_uk Member

GPU:
    BFG260OC55MAXCORE+8GTX
    :flame:thx all nothing to lose and maybe still have sli till new gpu's come out, will let you know how i get on thxs again

5. stainy_uk

stainy_uk Member

GPU:
    BFG260OC55MAXCORE+8GTX
    THX Cybermancer i finally got round to trying to fix 8800 GTX i put it in the oven at 200c for 10 mins, let it cool, and put it in the computer and it worked. Now i've got 2 8800 gtx's and 2 260 gtx's suppose i could build another computer

6. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I still LOL at this method everytime. One day, some kid is gonna save time and put it in the microwave on high for 1 minute.

7. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    hahaha

8. Peter Buxu

Peter Buxu Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OCX
    how can that be possible???? and the vga pcb did not melted or something else????

9. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Peter, I figure because its properties are much different to anything else we usually put in the oven. Say for example we put an apple pie in the oven (hmmm apple pie) from room temp to 200 degrees. The outside will start to form a crust from the fat in the pastry and the sugar on top. With PCBs which are designed to take a dose of heat mind you, its properties are such that there will be no burning because it's "burn point" would be at a much higher temperature. Also I can imagine that the middle of the card would be the coolest spot so that's really only 200 degrees c on the outside of the card. 10 mins isn't that long too.

I have a dead 8800 GTX that doesn't display anything so I'll try it...but I'll test it in my friend's PC first.

10. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Hahaha, same... i can't believe it just keeps working.

11. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    You could sell one of those 8800GTX's, sell your Striker Extreme and get an Intel chipset, in which you'll be able to push more out of that Q6600

12. PCboy650

PCboy650 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SLI
    Most probably the wierdest item to ever enter your oven.