Brand new to all this, just picked up a 3070 strix and I have a couple questions

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hexidis, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Hexidis

Hexidis New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2070S KO
    Hey guys so I just picked up a 3070 strix and I want to overclock it, I have never overclocked anything before but I have done a fair amount of homework however I still have a few questions.

Since I have a 30x card should I use the latest beta? (4.6.3 beta5)
    What's the benefit of using firmware control mode under fan settings? (and how can I tell if my card supports it)
    Can someone give me a good example of a strong fan curve? Noise isn't really an issue
    Under unlock voltage control should I use the "third party" drop down? Or should I stick with reference?

Thanks in advance. I'm currently running the OC scanner on 4.6.3 beta 5 to see where it sets my core/mem clocks and will potentially work my way up but I would like to fine tune these settings before doing so. Undervolting is also on my list once I have done all the above.

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    You yourself will be the best judge on best way to OC your card, just use the monitor tab and set everything best possible.
    I'd advise a manual fan curve and manual UV.
    I have my card UV just enough so i can still hit max clocks but save huge power usage.
    UVing your card is a must.
    Don't be scared to mess around with AB it's very forgiving.
    Max out your card's power limit.

3. Hexidis

Hexidis New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2070S KO
    Thank you! This is definitely my goal I just wanted to take baby steps. OC Scanner only gave me a +96 core / +400mhz memory but I just read a review which was able to get +160/+500 oc stable although when I tried it I crashed while playing WoW. Guess I'll start with +100/+400 and work my way up. Once I've found my limits then I'll start doing my UV homework. I have terrible OCD so those settings and annoying the hell out of me.. I feel confident in using 4.6.3 beta 5 as I have a 3070 and it seems it better supports it but I'm just confused with the unlock voltage control dropdown and firmware control mode fan setting.

4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
    Yup unlock those both settings, don't be scared worse case while testing is a driver crash.
    Try get sub 70C while pushing gpu to the limit, or just above 70C, i'm sure that strix is a beast well done!
    While testing AB ain't gonna break your card :p Try get familiar with it through use, no rush, no stress.:)