BP Oil Spill finally seems to be plugged !

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well if any of it became heavier than water by contaminants it would have fallen to the bottom. We know that they blasted a mud mixture into it for a few days with the 'junk shot' so that may have created a nearby tarpit.

Seepage is a definite possibility but it's way too soon for accurate speculation.

2. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Actually its the fact you americans are too stupid to realise BP don't care about using the giant skinners or any skimmer at all. All BP cares about is making billions of £$£$£$£$£$ from making and using Corexit. You americans are too ****ing stupid to even realise BP purchased the company that manufactures Corexit 2 weeks before both of the oil accidents in the gulf...

3. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Please stop the nationalist hatred or you will probably end up with a temp ban. But at core you are right, BP is a profit making company driven by share prices. Purchecing Corexit just before a major spill is.... suspicious at best- similar to Donald Rumsfelt having major shares in tamiflu which was used in the politicly over hyped swine-flu scare

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Making billions on corexit; Okay who's buying Corexit? Well, that would be BP. Sooooo BP is making billions by buying and selling to itself. That seems like a really good investment strategy! I'm going to go set my house on fire then sell my car to myself a couple dozen times, I oughta make a few hundred large! Hey I'm kind of good at this conspiracy stuff! :wanker:

As for the skimmers, yeah the corexit reduces their effectiveness because they're freak'n skimmers, they 'skim' the water. When the oil doesn't float on or near the surface you can't exactly skim it.

eta: Folks complain that oil companies should be researching ways to mitigate these disasters then when the disaster comes and they call on a company they invested in to develop a solution, it's suddenly a conspiracy.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010

5. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Well it is a better strategy than having to buy it off another company- hence you can limit your losses

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ bingo, there's nothing sinister about that though.

eta: We are of course, proceeding under the assumption that this information is true & that BP invested more in Nalco 2 weeks prior. We still don't have an actual source or context (eg was it a manual trade or automatic investment EG a DRIP)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    So your saying BP isn't making a profit from making Corexit??? Like the military industrial complex ( eg,Halliburton) doesn't make money from selling weapons essenially to them selves for war (Iraq/Afgahanistan)...LOL

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gentlemen ... stop bickering and fighting or be banned.

This is the 1st and only warning.

9. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Just one question. Isn't BP, like most other such megacorps divided into a cluster of wholly owned subsidiaries (basically each division being a company in itself), so that a single division can go bankrupt without bringing down the rest of the corporation?

If so, is the Corexit stuff made by the same division that is legally liable for the spill?

I know I'm borderline unethical for even thinking about this, but ... prolonged exposure to corporate greed has made me rather cynical.

//Svein

10. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    You mean, making money from both ends, like Big Pharma? Say it ain't so!:banana:

11. NervSeeker

NervSeeker Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    Since BP makes the Corexit, it makes sense to use it first (if it is an approved option, which it was, by the EPA) from a business perspective in order to cut costs. The Coexit seems to be doing its job but this magnitude just requires too much of it.

I'm still concerned with the pipe though: yeah it's plugged, but that can't hold forever. They're doing the relief drilling to fill it with concrete, but I'm wondering if they couldn't plug the hole earlier because of the pressure what makes the relief drilling any different except they're attacking it under ground AND under water. Looking at the reports on the news there are two drills which I suppose could cut the pressure in half, but one drill is distinctly ahead of the other. BP is saying "This liquid is denser than oil and so exerts pressure (known as hydrostatic pressure) to suppress the flow of oil." yeah it's denser, but what about the pressure, wasn't that the problem in the first place?

http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9033657&contentId=7061734

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    "Corexit is a line of oil dispersants or solvents, originally developed by Exxon and now manufactured by Nalco Holding Company (NHC) of Naperville, IL. Interestingly, NHC is associated with Exxon and British Petroleum (BP) — the latter is the same company that insists on using Corexit.
    An oil dispersant is basically a detergent, like your diswashing detergent. It disperses or breaks up the oil film into small droplets that intermix with seawater."
    ...and you people think this is a good thing? It's just more pollution. Gee, I noticed gas prices are up again. We've had alternative fuel sources for decades!

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    During the earlier top-kill try they had to pump the heavy mud in thru two valves in the sides of the blow out preventer perpendicular to the flow and also there's a lot of nooks and crannies in the blow out preventer that needed to be plugged there. Also the pipe there is about 20" wide. With the relief well they'll mill a window in the outside of the casing pipe down deep where it's much smaller (maybe 6-8") and then insert another pipe inside it probably hundreds of feet and then start pumping the mud directly against the flow and less space to have to try and plug. They get pressure on the mud by the thousands of horsepower worth of pumps they use to cycle it in the relief well and also just it's own weight adds pressure since there's a column of it several miles long in the relief well.

and for those who want some dirt on BP here ;)

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/bp_buys_up_gulf_scientists_for.html

14. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    "The Press-Register obtained a copy of a contract offered to scientists by BP. It prohibits the scientists from publishing their research, sharing it with other scientists or speaking about the data that they collect for at least the next three years. "

You know this kind of thing more than anything else infuriates me. I'll defend them against groundless allegations but the way both the government and BP have colluded to restrict access is maddening. From the get go they've been covering up almost every single problem, error, danger or risk; the few they haven't they were never able to, but where they could they did. It's going to take longer to sort out the lies than it is to clean up the oil.

eta: If it were R&D I'd understand a contract like that. However, this is a disaster response scenario where everyone needs to work together to save as much of the affected environments & industries as is possible.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  15. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    totally agree Dustpuppy they shouldnt be allowed to keep everyone that could be of any help in the dark and/or paid to keep hush hush about it, Im hoping for a revolt from the people that live there and the scientists that are not allowed there. They cant expect this to go away if nobodys allowed to do anything, its rediculous.

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
  17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Some of the most ignorant and inflammatory posts I've seen on on Guru3d without a ban!

You're calling all Americans stupid for something you clearly don't understand yourself. BP doesn't profit from using their own resources from a different division or company it owns. In your example regarding Halliburton, their funding is coming from the military/government not from their own pockets. In regard to BP and Corexit, at best you can say BP is saving some of their own money by using products they already produce - in no way are they making profit over it.

I would think this is really simple to understand - but I guess it's a little too complex for you.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    People wonder why Americans are becoming more and more rude to the outside world these days. It's because of half the attacks in this thread are from outside countries, who think they understand our affairs and know nothing about them at all.

19. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    It's in BP's interest to keep it plugged as long as possible, cause of the per barrel charge for spilling. I am wondering if the seepage they hardly mention now will become an other disaster? One can only hope. And btw skimming gets about %50 of the oil off the water during the best circumstances.

20. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red