Boycott Games for Windows - Live

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by REGENERATI0N, Mar 3, 2008.

1. REGENERATI0N

REGENERATI0N Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Apologies for spamming, but this one is important for everyone.

We have decided to start a boycott campaign against Microsoft’s Games for Windows – Live service because it’s violating our rights as PC gamers. Microsoft is pushing hard to make online PC gaming exactly like the Xbox’s. They want us to pay additional costs to subscribe to their Live service, and pay more monthly fees for a gold account, or to use the barely/non-working Silver account. Even if a gamer surrenders his soul for the attached fees to Microsoft; he may not even be able to purchase a subscription because the Live service is only available in 26 countries out of the 257 countries. This means that gamers from 231 countries are currently unable to purchase gold subscriptions even if they want to.

These two main issues put the future of online PC gaming at serious risk. This is what convinced us someone needed to start a boycott campaign against the Games for Windows – Live service. This became imminent to preserve online gaming and gamers rights. Of course Microsoft is a multi-millionaire corporation and they probably won’t care about this boycott, but game developers and publishers are more vulnerable to boycotts, and therefore we will target them instead. Sega, Eidos and THQ already signed to bring more Games for Windows – Live titles. The clock is ticking, now it’s the time to stop it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. calebMaster

calebMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970 1125/1500
    IM WITH THIS ALL THE WAY !

ONLINE PC GAMING SHOULD BE FREE!!!! -

dont bring this perfect pc gaming harmony to an end , we spend enough money buying your damn OS's Microsoft; and buying hardware to keep ourselves buying your damn games :p.

viva la revolucion!

3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    What he said ^ :D

4. cgr3786

cgr3786 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 7950 GT 512MB
    i agree microsoft blows the big one!!!

5. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Fkn Microsoft is a monopoly. If terrorists want to attack US again they should bomb Microsoft....that would set us all free so to speak.

6. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

edit

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I have a question: Does windows live even work?

8. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Games for Windows Live is not like Xbox live, there two difference things.

Xbox live : you cant play online with a free account
    Games for Windows LIVE : you can play with a free account online.

that about it.

9. DayDreamer

DayDreamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 @900,4300@1100mV
    Free account, but there isn't any servers for you to play on. What's the use of that?

Boycott LIVE service all the way!!!

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm fine for a service like games for windows live. I actually think something like that is needed.

But, in a case of making us pay to play online, I don't like that.

11. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I already pay my ISP for my net connection. And I already payed for the game. Why the hell should I pay extra to put the two together!? Down with Windows Live!

12. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Im actually glad the Games for Windows service is being integrated with the xbox Live online service.
    For one, my Gold xbox Live account is also a Gold Games for Windows Live account (for no extra cost), I'm using the same gamertag and achievements, and the messaging is available across platforms.

Not only that, the anti-dickwad features of xbox Live are in there too. Someone's being a dick in a game? Submit a report about them, and they'll be punished for it. Someone cheating/hacking? Submit a report about them, and they'll be punished for it.
    PC online servers have been a quagmire of hackers and idiots, as well as people who routinely kick your ass without even trying. The xbox Live/G4W Live service has the matchmaking features so you only play against people of your skill level, so it's always fun.

This "boycott" will never work, as the games and studios you're telling people to boycott are incredibly popular, so just give it up already. It might be a little scary when someone tells you there might be money involved to play games online (*gasp!*), but in the end its a far better service.

13. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I pretty much agree with Matariel above. While I can understand some of the frustration with having to pay an extra fee, once this service is actually working like it was planned, I think it will be worth it in the end. Just like Matariel stated above, these types of services will help clear out many of the cheaters/hackers/a-holes and help unify the on-line gaming to make it much easier and efficient for the user.

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    let's make a cool slogan : "Game for a fee, Online for free" :D just some crap i made up don't laugh.

15. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding about what Games for Windows Live involves.

The free service (Silver) has text/voice chat, and PC only game servers.

The subscription service (Gold) has matchmaking and cross platform multiplayer.

You can still play on dedicated servers (which Halo 2 has, as an example) using a Silver account *for free*, and you can still use the built in voice chat, and other features like reporting douchebag players.

If you're a hardcore gamer, and want the best experience, the Gold account gives you the TruSkill matchmaking (on all games), and cross platform play (on a few select games, like Shadowplay or Uno).

Best of all, if you're already paying for xbox Live Gold (I am at the moment), the same account is also a Games for Windows Live Gold account, without paying any more.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Microsoft Live is big big pile of **** that need to set on fire ASAP, i'm in LET IT REST IN PIECES!!!

17. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Microsoft can stick it were the sun don't shine

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Well all i can say is any game that has come out requiring a Live account has been frought with problems, Halo 2, GoW etc. etc.

I would never pay for it, i guess if i had a 360 i might, but im guessing thats what M$ are trying to do, try and get PC owners to jump on their console

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's free so why rant? If you don't like it, leave it. It's like other crap games, if you don't like them, don't play them. Grow up.

20. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Go figure, I was already boycotting this and didn't even know it. My multiplayer is limited to playing with friends over LAN.