Boy dies from 12 hours of gaming

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by darknight909, Jun 24, 2005.

1. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    A Russian teen died from a stroke after playing PC games for 12 hours in a computer club. Doctors were taking lifesaving efforts for several days, but could not save the boy. The autopsy showed the young gamer's brain to be totally destroyed.

The boy stayed in the game club longer than safety regulations allowed. When the boy returned home, his inadequate behavior led his mother to call an ambulance. The boy was hospitalized, stayed in the reanimation department for 7 weeks and eventually died. Doctors concluded that computer games launched the development of the brain pathology, which the boy was suffering from, having thus provoked stroke.

Doctors say they learn of computer game addiction developing among teens on a regular basis. According to sociological research, up to 80% of Russian schoolchildren [12-13 years of age] suffer from addiction. Children may spend whole days sitting in front of computers without food, water and rest.

Children's addiction to computer games in Western states gradually takes the scale of alcohol and drug addiction. Such children are excessively short-tempered, irascible and emotionally unstable. They always experience a dire need of playing games, although they realize practical uselessness of such pastime. As a result, computer addicts suffer from inner contradictions between the real and the virtual egos.

Doctors say serious addiction to computer games affects both physical and intellectual development of children, causing depressions and psychological disorders.

2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Just like Bart Simpson once said, "Video games don't kill people, it just kills their brains."

3. Frant1c

Frant1c Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro | 128MB
    i heard that, sucks.

well, i guess if he is that dumb, or that addicted to anything, he would have died from something sooner or later. :\

and just for the record, most kids i know, that DONT mess around with a computer, are more violent, PC kids are well, geekier :)

Ummm... pretty scary stuff though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  4. thepure907

thepure907 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT
    well i have played cs for 12 hours before. i was mad sick so i jsut did that all day and i didnt die :p LOL

5. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I don't know how anyone could play a game for 12 hours streight. My attention span would run out long before then. Why did the boy's mom let him spend so much time there anyway? I don't think I've ever been out for that long with the exception of vacations.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've played WOW for probably longer than 12hrs :D

Quite easily actually.

As for him dieing of it, hmmm, I'd like to see a picture of the kid, to see if he was overweight or something like that, if he died of a stroke, probably in poor health.

There comes a point when these people just have to take the blame, instead of trying to force the blame on someone or something else.

That's the problem with Society today, no one takes responsibility for anything any more, always "Give them more drugs", "You have ADD, ADHD" or whatever else they call these things these days.

All rubbish.

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    In the end, as far as I care, when any 'child' that dies because of a computer game.. it is down to bad parenting. Maybe people should stop focusing on the games themselves and look at what in the hell the parents are doing.

12+ Hours straight gaming at a 'club'? Most decent parents would be out hunting their kid down to bring him/her the hell home well before that point. If this kid was at 'that' extent the parents should have noticed something long before. If not he had medical issues which were ill attended too.

Stop bloody blaming computer games for people that are weak of will. =\

My two cents.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Amen to that Darkest, bad parenting for sure.

9. RussianEmpire

RussianEmpire Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800 NU 16.1 6.1 stock @ 430 870 for benches
    wow that is the biggest bull**** ever i am Russian and kids dont sit by computers so long kids in Russian are always outside playing sports or chilling with their friends... Its true that we have those video game clubs that we go to with friends but usually we go like once a month and sit for like 6 - 7 hours.

10. RussianEmpire

RussianEmpire Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800 NU 16.1 6.1 stock @ 430 870 for benches
    There are no overweight kids in Russia. I never saw a fat kid (not adult) in Russia.

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    You can't say all over Russian kids are not overweight, sure the majority might not be, but I'm sure there are still fat kids.

12. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    that really sux.... poor kid..... I guess he had a prexisting condidtion that sitting in front of a computer for hours just brought out...

finch, u played WoW or 12 hours???? if i had broadband, i still would not get into WoW - can u say WORLDS BIGGEST TIMESINK :p - it would be worse then when i got into neverwinter... almost stayed up all night long on that one!

13. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yea, 12hrs or more, when I was on holidays.

It's a good game, despite what some people think, but back onto topic, boy died.

14. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Is it just me, or is this kind of thing happening a lot more frequently than it used to?

15. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    dehydration.

16. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Just a thought guys.

When something happens after something else, it doesnt necesserily mean a direct connection. He might have had a stroke and happened to be playing alot of cs at the time.

and what exactly is "brain was destroyed" ?

Statistical connections dont show causality.

I once broke my leg after eating some cake. Does that mean cake is dangerous?

Well, just a thought

17. darknight909

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    RussianEmpire how can u say there are no fat kids in Russia? Maybe no fat kids in your neighborhood but Russia is huge and I bet you havn't been all over Russia. You said you have seen fat adults... did they just become fat as soon as they became adults?

anyways yes this is all bad parenting which means those parents werent ready to have a kid, if your not smart enough to look for your kid after he has been gone for 12 hours with probably without checking in, then thats the parents fault.

18. darknight909

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080

yes...... yes it does

19. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    really?
    Does the fact i slipped on some ice after eating cake make the cake dangerous?

That was of course an overstated example. But in this one, there might be a hundred unknown variables leading to this kids demise.

As it happens to be , he died after 12 hours gaming.
    How often do ppl report what ppl did b4 they died? We might find alot of surprsing "cause of deaths" out there.

PS: As a teacher, i have 3 russian kids in my class, and 2 of them are , well, overweight.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Even Dehydration, I mean........your supposed to be able to go for like 3 days or something without water at the very most.