1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought my first curved monitor today

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by gerardfraser, Jul 5, 2019.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    So I bought my first curved Freesync monitor today.This is not a review just some quick thoughts on it.
    Acer ED273A VA panel 1920x1080 with Freesync range set to 30Hz-144Hz.With LFC

Seen a sale at bestbuy Canada and thought I would check it out.$250 Canadian/$190 USD so a good deal.

It took about 5 minutes for me to get used to it after replacing a 4K IPS Freesync monitor.
    Colours and colour banding is equal to IPS monitor and miles better than TN Panel.I am quite pleased with the monitor and it works great.
    It is a keeper for now and I think it is a very good monitor for the price,well worth it to check it out at your local store if possible.

Not the same panel as the Acer ED273 TN model without LFC.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I also have freesync curved monitor for some time now and i like it. Its more immersive and better weaving angles.

3. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL I was going to ask you how do you like the Freesync Range 70Hz-144Hz on the LC24FG73 or do you have the 27 inch,hard to remember I am getting old,or do you set it to like 55Hz-144Hz.

Anyway why i was going to ask you, is that I looked at that monitor since Jan 2019 and I thought it looked great but the Freesync range It did not like .Even though the older revision panels are now set to 48Hz-144Hz.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its the Samsung C27F 75hz so my freesync range is set at 48-75 without ability to change it. Its a poors man curved freesync monitor but its doing its job. :)

5. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah maybe I was remembering 27F thing ,so many of them and assumed it was the Qled monitor.
    Anyway every Freesync monitor I had I was able to change Freesync range with CRU.
    In case anyone does not know.

Download CRU By ToastyX

1.Open CRU, and click edit
    2.Only modify your v-rate ( Do not change any other settings)
    3.Lower v-rate 3-5Hz at a time
    4.After v-rate is lowered,driver needs to be restarted.Either hit restart or restart64, found in the CRU folder or actually restart computer.
    5.Test monitor for any flickering or weird lines or unusual behavior.If all good ,lower v-rate until you hit 30Hz or weird stuff happens.
    6.Allways do #4 after changes and when weird stuff happens ,back off on v-rate by 1Hz-2Hz until all is good again.
    7.Once you find the sweet spot,settings will stay until complete wipe of drivers.
    8.Also you can go higher than maximum Freesync rate.Just repeat above steps.I would not bother going higher ,really no point at all to it.

EG:New monitor today has freesync range of 48Hz-144Hz and I changed new monitor to 30Hz-144Hz all is good.
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  6. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I went back to my 4K Freesync Monitor.I could not handle the VA panel where I could swear I could see every pixel after a few days.

Well learned my lesson no more lower resolution monitors for me.I never thought I would be that guy spewing 4K is good but the picture really is that good as a computer monitor as TV does not matter as you sit further away.

So I must be foolish Gsync 165Hz and Freesync 144Hz and I still prefer 4K 60Hz,weird I guess.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    I had a curved 1440p/144hz monitor, im back to 1080p/144hz TN panel. The flatness looks so weird to me now after having owned nothing but curved monitors lol.

I spend already 900 euro so i can't afford to get a new monitor for a few months, but i'm going back to curved as soon as i can.

I don't have that problem with seeing pixels, maybe at 27" 1080p i would have but this one is 23,6inch.
    It was always tempting though 4K 60hz, but i can't ever go back to 60hz, especially when i'm playing BFV.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    27" 1080 is bad, resolution is low for that size and you can definetely see pixels if too close. Trust me i have one. 1800 curvature is great though, idk if i can get back to regular flat panel.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    curve is just a gimgic, at 1080 even a new monitor isn't worth much over $100. I've seen curved monitors in Wally World around 27 inches for around $190 or so, waiting.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    I recently switched to a 32inch 1440p Curved my self, I haven't had the problem with seeing pixels either. I'm still getting used to the Asus XG32QVR due to the curve, it also looked strange to me at first, after always having flat monitors. Yea 4k would have looked nice but only if I could afford 144hz, as I don't see it worth it with 60hz, plus I wouldn't be looking forward to the performance at 4k with my GTX 1080, in a lot of games that I play.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    32" 1440p is the equivalent to 24" 1080p. Thats high enough pixel density and the minimum i would recommend for the size.