bought faulty gtx260 off ebay

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by philheckler, May 12, 2010.

1. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Sunday I saw a 'faulty' xfx 55nm gtx260 selling on ebay uk for 30 pounds , i didn't jump at it straight away but after seeing it , for the rest of the day i just couldn't get it out of my head (you know how it is fellow guru's) so in the end i bought it and fair play it arrived this morning fully boxed with all the bits even a copy of assasins creed inside to boot .

Now i was expecting the card to be dead as the seller said in the advert that the card doesn't post ( i had some vague plans to bake the card ) but to my suprise tonight the card fired up straight away and has performed flawlessly through 2 hours of dirt2 and about 5 runs of 3dmark vantage and the heaven benchmark without a glitch or artefact even when overclocked to 700 / 1100 :banana::banana: so you can imagine i'm pretty pleased with my 30 quid ebay purchase at the mo....

So i'll continue to put the card through it's paces and maybe even drop my original gtx260 back in for some sli fun ( i need to buy an sli bridge .....)

So i was wondering what would cause the card to be dead for one person but then totally fine for another - maybe a weak psu perhaps.....

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you didnt get a sli bridge with your m/b?

3. Markushka141

Markushka141 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX470
    It could be the PSU, it could be some noobish experience of some body :) or he is rich and giving away video cards, look for some more :))) lol
    I had some serious problems with my old 9600 gt, it gave me random black screens and looping sound, and i had it to be underclocked to run neraly fine, but it worked perfectly in my mates computer... wtf... so it could be that sort of problem he was having.

4. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Nope , ASUS don't seem to give them aout woth mobo's that are sli / crossfire compliant...

5. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    i have asus mobo's in all my systems and they all came with bridges for both crossfire and sli, maybe send asus a mail

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    awesome mate, yeh give SLI a go, not sure if the PSU is enuf tho

7. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    One man's loss is another's gain. Grats

8. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Nice win!

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol, awesome man.
    I recently went though something similar in getting this "broken" GTX 280 from a friend for free. It was just really dirty lol.

10. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well done, mate. Can't get better than that! Makes you wonder how many of these "faulty" GPUs are infact working, but either dirty or user error due to another problem with the system :)

I'm glad you're not my friend then. If i was stupid enough to do that, and i found out, i'd end you :pirate:

11. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    I had experiences with a faulty Pentium 3.2 on XP after replacing it I had built another system and thought to try out the faulty cpu in that one and it seemed to work no probs. Also it was Vista installed.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice one mate, must've made your day..

I once bought a "faulty" 6800 Ultra on eBay, (when they were new..) from a seller who said it was freezing up during WOW.

Paid $50 for it, worked perfectly in my machine, I found out later there was a conflict between the 6800 and WOW...and yeah the SLI boards do come with bridges.....

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    :)
    He got a 5870. Lol

14. Patjuh

Patjuh Member

GPU:
    GTX260-216 SLI
    Awesome, might have something to do with the memory used though, since I experienced Blue Screens with my 8600GT and [kit of 2gigs dominators 2.1V rated 1066] + [kit of 2 gigs dominators 2.2 V rated 1066]. When I put GTX295 back in it works flawless, same goes for 9600GT.

Real weird, but good job :D

15. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Yep - your right - my seasonic has just enough watts to do the job but i don't think the 36a on the 12 volt rails will be enough..... so i'm going to have to wait a while on the sli until i can afford a new PSU..

16. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Quick update - picked up a new psu (corsair hx850) and an sli bridge and am now running the 'faulty' card in SLI with my original gtx260 , now getting 20k in 3dmark vantage / crysis very high , 35 - 40fps 4xaa / 16xaf (1680x1050) , super smooth - guess you could say i'm pretty happy with my 30 quid gtx260...:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    he probably have Modular power-supply and reversed the plugs on the PSU and GPU end that will keep any PC from Posting

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    nice buy :) but you were lucky. in any case surely you could have sent it back to the manufacter under warranty?

19. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Maybe, you should tell him, it works fine on your pc and that your willing to help him sort the issues out, go through it with him etc etc.
    Then let him buy it back 3rd hand for £15.

Then again maybe not eh? :)

20. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    heh...you were very lucky :D , i remember my first video card, an fx 5700 LE ,i overclocked 200 mhz more on the core with riva tunner, then i took another overclocking software(cant remember name) and it was showing stock clocks so i overclocked it again with 200 mhz but when i looked in RT it was showing an overclock of 400 mhz on the core! i was amazed that it didnt crash, so i said hey lets try to play a game...i had doom 3 installed and i remember i had problems playing it on stock with details on max and aa x2 but to my surprise the card was stable! and it played great with full details and 4x AA and i kept that Overclock.
    anyway..when i sold the card to a friend it didnt work in his pc but when i plugged it in mine it worked great, quite strange