Bought AMD 5700 XT (MSI X) - need advice on settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dsr07mm, Nov 9, 2020.

1. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    So I bought new PC kinda out of the sky after 2-3 years without having gaming setup (Ryzen 3600, 16gb ddr4 3600, Tomahawk B450 and 5700XT MSI Gaming X.

I bought afterwards aftermarket CPU cooler to reduce cpu temps and now it's fine, but now I'm dealing with kinda high temps on GPU. On Auto everything I'm getting 80c range in games like Metro Exodus, Division 2 or Apex with 144fps and Freesync.

What I found at the moment is for me "sweet spot", but I need confirmation that I will not damage GPU or FANS by doing this.

I undervolted GPU to 1050v, left core clock to 2050mhz (which ingame fluctuates now at ~1980mhz), and added +50mhz to vram to 1800MHz. I changed only one state in fan curve (earlier on auto temps were pretty much locking at 80c by having 60% fans), so I changed 3rd state and switched to 70c and 60% fans. I also turned ZeroRPM OFF since I don't want after gaming to see idle 60c on GPU. I reduced to minimum until 58c so it's 45c idle.

Overall, I'm getting 70c max peak with 60% fans, undervolted to 1050v and 2000mhz/1800mhz clocks.

Is this safe fan/gpu-wise ? Or there are better tips for this.. In my eyes 60% fan speed is required for stopping temp at some number.. GPU being colder a bit ealier (10c earlier) is better I guess ?
    Also having 30% all the time will not harm instead being turned off ? I feel like going from 0 to 30% all the time is much worse for bearings then being locked at 30% while idle.

2. BoobZ

BoobZ Active Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You should be fine. The lower the better, but 70 C does not sound bad. You might try 1.0 V and see how high it can boost; say minus 50 MHz.

Now why 70 C with 60% fans despite the undervolt?

1. It could be due to your less than ideal case/fans/airflow setup as mentioned above.
    2. It could be due to imperfections on GPU/cooler contact.
    3. Also, most reviewers are either open benching or doing cold short-term runs.
    4. Furthermore, keep in mind that particular SKU (or any factory OC-ed 5700XT) comes with the highest or maybe 2nd (after RX 590) highest heat flux (heat per unit of area) in the history of GPUs. So while 250W (before undervolting) does not sound too bad, it's mostly dissipated over a tiny 250mm^2 area, so properly cooling this is not all that trivial as it might seem.

30% fans all the time will not harm, but I prefer ZERO RPM on all my fans (cept CPU) cos it minimizes wear&tear and dust intake/movement. IMHO it's a preferable setup if you can set it up so that fans stay shut most of the time.
    But if you can't, then constantly reving up and down is almost certainly worse longevity-wise than 30% all the time.

4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte RX5700 GO
    I have RX 5700 flashed with modified bios (like XT).
    I had to decrease voltage by -50mv (1040mV) and edit fan curve (they hit limit so clock started to throttle).
    I don't have problem now to use card on 2050MHz with fan about 50-60%.
    BTW look on hot spot temp, I had problem that this temp was too high, but "standard" temp was OK. I have hot spot now about 90-95°C.

5. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    My hotspot never goes above 75/6c.

Airflow is probably bad, I don't have front intake fans cause area where I live has dust like crazy. I can't afford that. My case is Thermaltake V200, might look okayish but I don't like those gaps everywhere. With front intake 1x140mm or 2x120mm, heck even 1x120mm I assume that temps would go down by couple degrees.

That's why I asked are fan speed and temps okay to leave it this way :)

6. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte RX5700 GO
    Hot spot 76°C is nice.
    BTW you still have out take fan on the back, right? So if it blows air out of the case, the air must come inside somewhere...
    So in my opinion having intake fans would be better then non fan, because you can have proper dust filter before this fan, which you clear after some time...

7. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    [​IMG]https://imgur.com/QuPMtPu

This is result after installing front 120mm intake.
    69c is max temp with 60% fans.

Only doubt which I have is should I give headroom to 72/3c to GPU before fans started going at 60% ? Or it doesn't matter.

8. BoobZ

BoobZ Active Member

GPU:
    XFX r9 290 DD
    That Thermaltake Case have dust filters, feel free to install two intake and two exhaust fans, and clean filters on regular basis, like weekly or every two weeks.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So more dust can pass through the "filter" ::D

These are filters, the rest are grills.
    https://www.demcifilter.com/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  10. kanenas

kanenas Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus

I have the same card model and 80 degrees in games is not a bad thing but you are definitely 4 to 5 degrees Celsius higher than me, your tower definitely plays a big role as a friend wrote and I would suggest you to tighten the screws slightly from the back off the card (but not the one with the sticker) so as not to lose the guarantee of the card,are usually slightly loose and after tightening you may gain 1 to 2 degrees Celsius.

11. dsr07mm

dsr07mm Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980Ti G1 6GB
    I didn't remove inside plastic bag from the glass :D Didn't realize that it's from inside aswel.. Literally 4-5 degrees lower now. But once again, I'm keeping 60% fans at 70c so I never go above 69/70c.

12. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    It is worse for a fans life span to let it rest and spin up and down again than to keep a static rpm.
    At the start most fans spin unevenly until they reach a certain speed to self balance themselves.
    So while zero rpm may be best for your ears, fixed rpm will help the fan last longer (in theory at least). ;)