Bought a LG OLED55B8, but I can't understand some things..

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by IceVip, Nov 27, 2019.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I've got it wired as a 3rd pc monitor via HDMI. Its wallpaper is black and there ain't no taskbar on it cuz.. you know why.

Anyways if there are any LG oled owners out there can anyone answer any of these questions because
    I'm scratching my head over them all day long.

Input set to HDMI vs PC icon. What the hell is the difference? Because the only difference i see is that
    white text on black and black text on white has some weird RGB split in PC mode. HDMI is better, but i read that PC sets 4:4:4 full rgb.. what is HDMI then?

Black level.. Its not like i don't know what that is but this TV makes me feel like an idiot.
    What is the correct black level for HDR if connect this tv to a pc? High? Because that looks correct, but
    in some cases it looks wrong. Avengers endgame bluray rip looks bad. But other bluray rips look ok..
    what is causing this? Dolby Vision? Because the movie is made for "Per-scene HDR" for dolby vision and not HDR10? Really confuses the hell out of me.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I had a C7, and now a C9, but they all seem to share a lot between them. I scrounged forums all over to figure out the correct settings, and this is what I'm using now and it seems to give the best picture quality, least latency and hassle, for both SDR and HDR:

1) Unless you plan to use your TV as a monitor to read text all day, forget about PC mode. It offers zero benefit with a panel and processor like this. You will see people talk about "real" RGB, but it is irrelevant, as the TV does all of its processing internally in YCbCR 422. Furthermore, RGB means that you literally get less color, 8bit vs 12bit (hence the banding). This is not a disadvantage if you're going for great color with minimal input lag. So, set your PC input using the Game Console icon, and name it something else other than PC. This will also unlock a lot of functionality you wouldn't otherwise have, and when in Game Mode it will not increase lag.

2) Set your NVIDIA/AMD control panel to output YCbCR 4:2:2 at 12bit color, Limited. This will eliminate almost all banding from any source the PC might send, including games and movies, as the 12bit depth oversamples pixel color information.

3) In the "Game" input for both SDR and HDR (you can switch between them using the Windows setting), make sure you have selected the Color Temperature you like (Warm 1 and Warm 2 are the closest to reference). I don't know about your B8, but my C9 also has settings for Reducing Banding even more, I also have that set too. In addition, make sure that the Black Level is set to "Low", to match setting it to "Limited" from the panel of your GPU.

4) You can also change the Color Gamut setting for both HDR and SDR, according to preference. The closest to what the games actually send should be "Auto", but "Wide" is punchier, and it is really a matter of preference.

That's it.

You can see that if you leave the color settings at default and the TV at PC Mode, HDR will be dithered RGB, which is crap, as it ignores so much color volume. YCbCR 422 12bit Limited, is also a "set it and forget it" setting, as it works perfectly fine (with the best color accuracy and punch) in both HDR and SDR, and it oversamples for both, and everything shown on the TV looks better with it.

TL;DR:
    • Change icon to the Game Console, rename the input from "PC" to anything else.
    • Set the GPU to YCbCR 4:2:2, 12bit, Limited (this will apply for both SDR and HDR).
    • Set your favorite color temperature for Game Mode for SDR and HDR.
    • Make sure that Black Level is set to "Low"
    • "Limited" = "Low"
    • "Full" = "High"
    • You're not "losing" anything without RGB, except near-monitor (like 20cm) text clarity. You gain much better image processing from the TV, better HDR, no banding and better color volume and depth, and seamless transitions between HDR and SDR.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    If an HDTV is set to PC/DVI PC input label, it is set to expect RGB color.

Otherwise it will be expecting YCbCr. Computers natively work in the RGB color model. YCbCr is a different way of expressing RGB color and is more of a container for it (it is a compression colorspace used regularly with broadcast TV or Blu-ray to reduce storage/ bandwidth use).

If you have a black level setting and are using the RGB color space, you want to use the "normal/high" level as that is setting the display to expect 0-255 contrast range that RGB natively works in. If you are using the YCbCr colorspace, "low" sets the display to expect 16-235 contrast range that YCbCr functions with.

This is why you may see the contrast range setting in your graphics card control panel or display menu greyed-out when using YCbCr.