1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottlenecking (obvious) need help fixing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Phantom93, Jul 4, 2009.

1. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I DONT KNOW IF YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE FIGURED OUT BUT MOBO'S DON"T HIT THE SAME SPEEDS WITH QUADS. ESPECIALLY NVIDIA BOARDS. sorry for shouting.

2. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    Lol, you sure shout a lot don't you :p

btw: robs what is ur ebay account?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. benne

benne Member

GPU:
    evga 275 sli
    Just for gta4 you would get a slower running (on that mb) quad?
    Save you money for a real upgrade.

4. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I dont think you will get gains like you think you will.
    I would say you wont gain more then 5fps with a CPU upgrade.
    I would spend that cash on a 24"LCD and then save for a new i7 later on.

5. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
  6. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
  7. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    Hm, well i was using GTA as an example, not the sole purpose.

Perhaps you guys are right, I might just keep my C2D, I want to upgrade to a quad but obviously I know and have known but kept it in the back of my head that a year after I would want i7. I'll keep it, GTA runs o.k. with it not the end of the world and I can do crysis max settings with 4x AA :) (direct x9 lol) dx10 can do max but no AA, still pretty good I think. Also 1600x1200 is fine for me. Maybe some faster hard drives would be nice. I have two first gen SATA HDDs in RAID 0 which they are in R0 because alone you can defiantly see hard drive lag, 8mb cache isn't alot. RAID 0 32MB cache ones would be nice, prob do that or just get a 10kRPM. I may end up just doing another build in 1-2years.

You guys have given my a lot of ideas thanks, and sorry rob, I am sure someone else will defiantly buy that deal you offered.

8. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I think this is a very smart move Phantom93!

I've been using my c2d for quite a while and although I have the itch for an i7 I've been holding out because I've done a lot of testing and reading and research and etc, etc, etc and my c2d is not a bottleneck even with my GTX285 SLI cards.

That said, I am quite sure certain things would run better with a nice quad i7, and even some games will see a small boost in performance (I don't play GTA though). Even minimum FPS would probably increase accrossed the board - and this is really one of the most important factors for me. But the increase would be so small it's not worth the great expense upgrading to i7 (mobo, ram, cpu...)

I will personally probably wait until around January for my upgrade. I think that will make my current c2d and motherboard about two years old. Which is about the upper limit for me. Was a good investment.

Anyway, good decision and good luck! :)

9. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    You have a nice running system no doubt but trust me when I tell you that your Core 2 duo is holding back those cards more than you realize.

10. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I doubt it... Point me to something that shows this isn't the case...

As I've said I know I will see some improvement - but not worth the expense. I consider at least a 20% overall improvement to be minimum and I am quite sure it won't come close to that with all the games I play and applications I use. Perhaps some games like quads, but there is absolutely nothing I play that I feel the need to improve over what I have now.

But, anything you can show me to prove it wrong I will consider.

11. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Somes games dont make much of a difference but here are a few that do.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/7

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/11

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/15

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    You have SLI and you don't think a quad will make a diff?

13. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    That is interesting... Of course I don't play any of those games.

TBH I haven't been playing much more than iracing and rfactor over the past few months. Some much older games too.

One thing to note and not that it would make that much difference but I think the e8400 was clocked at 3GHz while the i7 was at 3.2GHz. Again would not explain the huge difference in performance, but it is a difference. It's also comparing an older gen core2 to a i7 quad. Most likely what I'd upgrade to, but it's not just a comparison from gen c2d to quad...

14. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Yes, by and large, at for the games I play, there would no to very little difference.

So what does 285sli do for me? Well, I'm an IQ junky. I do definitely see a benefit as I've said from the start, that's not the point, the point is is it worth it cost wise considering the games I play? No...

15. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G