Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by .exe, May 19, 2011.

1. .exe

.exe Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX275 XXX Edition
    Hi guys, just wanna know which card would do a bottleneck with my system.

560 or 560 would do? 570?

Thanks guys :roll:

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Too wide of a question.

The general answer your gonna get is no, it will not bottleneck.

But the question you should ask is will it bottleneck in x and y game.

A Q9550 will not bottleneck say crysis and metro 2033 with a single 570 gpu, it will not bottleneck in world of warcraft.

It will be a massive bottleneck in BC2, SC2, CIV5, dirt2, gta4 to name a few.

Games that will run good enough would be RES5, World in Conflict, Farcry 2, Batman AA.

As I said it completly depends on the game.

A piece of advice is to never trust anything anyone says who claims adding aa/eyecandy or raising resolution removes a bottleneck, it doesn't - all it does is shift it to another place and will always give same or lower performance then you had to start with.

3. .exe

.exe Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX275 XXX Edition
    I moved all games smoothlly except Crysis, Mafia II (all settings to max though), Metro 2033, STALKER on DX10, Just Cause II... more or less 20 fps, just playable.

Do u think it will improve with a better vga card besides i have and old Quad Core :)()

I hope to buy a new rig soon...

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you regard 20fps as playable, theres no need to upgrade.
    A faster VGA card will help a lot but you need to clock your CPU to get more benefit.

5. .exe

.exe Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX275 XXX Edition
    I though to buy a GTX570 now, and on a few months to buy the rest (cpu, memory, mobo, and cooler).

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    If you stuck around that long with a GTX 275, then just pick up a 570/580 and enjoy another 5 years of entertainment. A GTX 570 (from the guru3D charts) is almost twice as fast as a GTX 275, so the extra money would be worth it.

7. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    I tend to agree, getting a 3.6-3.8 ghz overclcok with your formula x48 should be quite easy. Then get a 560ti or a 570. While you might be slightly bottlenecked in certain games, a 3.8-4.0ghz 45nm core2 games perfectly well. Bottlenecks are overrated, and are often worried about when you don't need too. It's not like you have a pentium 4 or socket 754 cpu. Cranking up the resolution will relieve any cpu bottleneck also, but I wouldn't woory about it.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Cranking up the res is not a solution for a bottleneck.

If you increase the resolution in a CPU limited situation, it will NOT increase framerate as you havent alleviated the bottleneck, so it does nothing to help the bottleneck.
    Higher res can further reduce framerate though!

If framerates are low, finding what is the slowest component (for the games you play) will let you upgrade/overclock the correct part to solve the low framerate.

9. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    The frames should gradually drop as the resolution goes up. If it stays pretty much the same, it's a CPU bottleneck. I didn't mean his frames would go up, I meant if he is cpu bottlenecked he might as well crank it up.

I guessI didn't use the correct term, lol :) It's still early. haha

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    When framerate is already too low (the only reason you need look at a bottleneck), raising image quality isnt best useful if it further reduces framerate ;)
    There is no situation where raising the res will help a bottleneck.

Everything else you said is fine, just the above point has been passed around quite a lot and needed clarifying.

11. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    I also meant after he picks up a new gen card. :) Most of the games he listed that are struggling are gpu bound games. And they are going to struggle with the 275 he has no matter what.

Damn I'm confusing, lol ;)

12. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Yeah, it will work nice with a GTX570. Dont worry too much bout it.

With C2D the things get bad. But with a Q9550? If its at 3Ghz or more, get the card.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    When I become a mod :)P) I will hand out infractions to people who use the word "bottleneck".

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Soz, missed this post.
    Yeah great idea.

I dont mind being corrected on this if has been updated, but I feel I should let you know:
    If you plan to overclock your gfx card the GTX570 may not be the best choice.
    There have been quite a few card deaths due to poor VRM design.
    It seems the GTX590 inherited the problem too but all the other cards are ok.

Because of this, I recommend the GTX560ti 2GB (1GB is on the low side now) as its about 10 to 20% slower but overclocks pretty well (Guru3D got 15% extra for core, 20% for memory).

It costs less and you get more than 1.3GB.
    You may not need more now but in a few years, the card will still have mileage, especially if using in SLI - memory doesnt add up in SLI so 2x1GB = 1GB
    ie with the higher power of SLI, you can use higher res, higher res texture packs and higher AA, but not if you run out of memory.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I know wat he meant....you misunderstood him. :)

He's not saying the FPS will increase, just that the b********k will be alleviated, as increased res will slow down the GPU allowing the CPU to keep up with it...

Personally I'm skeptical about the CPU/GPU relationship people keep mentioning....because I've often seen my GPU maxed out at 95-100% - while at the same time my CPU is cruising at 50 -60% use., so there goes the "B" theory..

But in saying that, if I use a fps cap and my fps get too low, my CPU will work at 100% until fps hit my cap limit and the GPU slows down. Then my CPU will stop workin as hard.
    That is ****ed up because it contradicts the above comment....

So basically I have no idea wtf it all means :D

Last edited: May 20, 2011

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    :)
    Its more a CPU/GPU/Game relationship.
    ie the relationship is different between games.
    In the case you mentioned, the bottleneck is the GPU if its running at max and the CPU isnt.
    But it doesnt matter if your framerate is high enough.

One will always be faster than the other (except in an extreme rare case), so one will always bottleneck the other.
    Its a shame its such a frowned upon topic through the over use of the word bottleneck, its a necessary discussion point.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah funny that didn't even cross my mind...although lately in Fallout NV I've also seen the opposite happen.

Probably to do with the Gamebyro Engine, which lumbers along like a confused dinosaur most of the time..

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. DirkGently

DirkGently Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    This! Permaban the lot.

If you want to see if your CPU is holding you back just lower the resolution. If the FPS rises the answer is no.

Nobody ever remembers the most salient point which is, if you are getting 60FPS+, it doesn't matter...at all!

19. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    This.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Look 2 posts above yours ;)