Both Xbox and PlayStation to get eight-core AMD Jaguar CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2013.

1. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    They want expendable, like the iPhone's

2. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I just hope they give them enough RAM this time around. That seems to be the issue the current generation of consoles are having that keeps growing as time goes on. Skyrim for PS3 is the biggest example but I wonder how many other games had to be scaled down just to fit in that small memory space.

3. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Especially with the price of memory being so low I can't imagine it would be a problem to add 4GB or more, though I don't really think over 4GB is necessary.

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Well, if they can overkill with the specs at a good or at least at a bit premium price, well I'm all up for it. Assuming it will be used somehow. :D

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1.8 ghz, if this was pc where almost no software uses all cores of cpus correctly I would be highly upset at the 1.8ghz even if it was 8 core.

But then most stuff is made on consoles first then ported so the multi core and low speed shouldnt be an issue. But then again if the game are ment to run on multi core and built that way, PC would suffer cause we all know how many games actual use multi core on the pc correctly....

Like said many times before I dont care what the rumors are for next gen consoles. They just better do 1080p(real 1080p not some lower res upscaled) and hold a min of 30 fps at all times 60fps preferred 2xAA not really need when you sit 6+ feet away from your tv but welcome. If any of that isnt meet console gaming is pretty much dead to me.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    it's piece of cake to hold 60 fps @ 1080p...even with a mid range PC...:):3eyes:

at least 1080p @ 120hz and/or 1080p w/4xAA is expected even 2K noAA...:pc1:

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    mid range computer are still speced better then the rumors of the consoles so that is moot point.

8. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I think that the new console will be a little to weak, because if they only use AMD cpu the INTEL will want to make a move so that they get more money, when the console will come out the cpu for PC will have a problem (to little ppl. will buy them), so i think that in order for intel to keep they'r sales up will be to push the cpu to higher standards, and if they do that then the new console will become weaker.

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So, let me get this straight. You are saying that because both consoles will use an AMD chip, Intel to compensate for the sales they will get, will release/push even better CPU's earlier?

Well, that actually would be great news for us.. :D

P.S: I got your point, but in regards of avoiding confusion, it will NOT make the console weaker.
    I know you probably meant it would make it look/seem weaker but I'm just saying. :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    AMD CPU are known to be weak and have been for years vs intel atlest in the per core performance realm. But they shine in Multi thread/Multi core performance, Problem is PC software rarely if ever uses the Multi core feature correctly, So intel win most the time. I honestly dont see Multi cores be programed correctly till there is just one CPU architect to deal with, Cause obsessively with 2 they still have yet to make software that uses multi core correctly. IT all about the Per core performance on the PC end and brute forcing the performance.

Now I not say that the processor they using is gona be terrible, cause Most game are made for console first then ported, SO they will most likely use Multi core correct, so the lower ghz wont matter much.

And the Lower power consumption and heat would bee good thing cause we all know how well the RROD and YLOD went over. my ONly consern is CPU is to weak to actual power the GPU's and 1080p 60fps defacto turns in to something much less. Either way IMO this is all rumor to such time Sony,MS official release the spec with the annoucments.

NO 600+$ Console though, I wont fall that again like i did with ps3, my ps3 get more use from netflix then actual games.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Midrange computers have several layers of abstraction above the hardware that make them actually quite inefficient when it comes to rendering a scene.

The comparison is almost impossible to make.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If the CPU's were too weak to power the GPU's then they would put in a slower GPU.

1080/60 should be very easy for them to do as these rumoured specs on a PC could do that, and the same hardware on a console is substantially faster, but it's not as simple as that.
    Unless MS/Sony define a minimum framerate/resolution then it will be up to the developers to decide if they want to really crank the eye candy up, but half the framerate or even drop the resolution as who will see the difference when watching it on a 30fps YouTube video.

I would like pre-sets when you start the game up, nothing complicated like PC options, but something like 720p 30/60 or 1080p 30/60, and the game adjusts based on that.
    Would never see that happening though.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    youtube sure the compressed to hell but you can tell the difference from 720p and 1080p (Real 720p and 1080p) and somthing that is sub 720p/1080p Just scaled up, There is huge difference from scaled to res and actual target res.