Both Mantle and DX12 can combine video memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    My Eyefinity Rig hopes this is true. I would love to get full use of my "8 GB) even if it's only on future games.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Your card would run slow at that high amounts of Vram.

Our cards now at present time wouldn't handle high frame rates at that given vram, not as of yet, in time yes, now? NO

I mean it would move but no where near 30 Fps, I dont think so. 8gb VRAM? Thats alot.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. nexxusty

nexxusty Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Oh you're "Just Saying" that, that's cool then.....

Except it isn't cool at all and no one wants to hear your opinions. You have NO facts to back it up.

Did you honestly say because you used some Supersampling in games that we wouldn't be able to fill an 8gb frame buffer while maintaining decent performance?

Give me a break pal. Give us all a break and go VERIFY what you are spouting..... let me give you a tip, GTX Titan can and will perform well with its 6gb frame buffer filled.

So would an 8gb card.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Oh really? I'd like to see this magical TITAN GPU.... because seriously, I must have gotten ripped off. Hey here's an idea, why don't you back up your own claims. They run counter to my personal experience.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Ok, Sorry for everything. First of all I dont even own the card, I was just speculating on my behalf, please don't take it the wrong way.

Love the Titans though, gotta love the extra vram. I might thinking of buying one once the price comes down, which I doubt.

Sorry for everything guys, :)

Oh, the Nasty Titan-Z Is now like 1599.00+ usd, wow, I never knew it would drop so much, not to bad, but its on back order.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Are you saying my R9 295x2 would perform worse if it had full access to 8GB of VRAM? I play at 5760x1080 and don't have any problem with maintaining 30+FPS in every game I own, with MSAA if the game supports it. Maybe I just am missing your point completely... I'm gonna drink some vino and see if that helps me figure it out. :cheers:

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I was really thinking about very very high res and with maxed out settings, like 5k+ resolution(5120X3200).

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't think that is really what is being said here. Currently, single GPU's just do not have the horsepower to render scenes requiring that much vram. I've got SLI TITANS and I can already make games dip under 60 FPS (my personal min standard) running at 1080p never mind 4K. Yes, I'm an eye candy whore, but isn't that the point of more memory for more details and DSR/SSAA? More memory is not going to help unless you're exceeding your frame buffer and at 4+ GB, you're looking at SLI TITAN or better to render this at 60 FPS or better in most cases. More GPU rendering power is the solution for expecting decent performance over 4GB IMO.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli

Thats the point I was getting at, At Insane resolution, 5k+, Maxed out in game settings and above with lets say nvidia inspector aa settings, Requires alot of gpu horsepower.

I didn't mention resolution in the beginning, sorry about that.

I would love to see theses 8k screens coming out from LG supposedly, holy moly, but running at that resolution and maxed out settings + nvidia inspector, well, you tell me everyone on how much vram and gpu horsepower thats needed to render something like that, We just don't have it yet.

I am waiting to see what nvidia is going to come up with after the Radeon 3XX series, sorry for being off topic a bit here.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015