Both Custom and Founder Graphics GeForce 3000 cards Launch Simultaneously

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well Hilbert, in this case you'll have your work cut out for you. :p

Maddness likes this.
  3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    I cannot wait honestly, not that I wanted purchase one.
    I'll likely skip Ampere and keep my overpriced Turing card.

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. Italia1

Italia1 Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 290x 4 GB
    This year i want to buy a top Nvidia and a top Amd. I've too "old" card in my pcs (Fury-x and Vega 64). I think in italy we can get a card nearly october. I don't buy Nvidia from 7950gx2 (my latest new nvidia card)

5. Nice to know they’re keeping the spirit of last generation’s launch alive (20th of Sept) which released AIBs alongside FE as well I think?

With the release date being different.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's really good news! Can't wait!

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Don't make hasty purchase decisions - let both NVIDIA and AMD release their products, get reviewed, and only then make a purchase.

Personally, depending on the prices/actual value/performance - will wait till the start of the next year or probably skip this gen altogether. There are 0 upcoming titles I'm looking forward to, and still have a gazillion of old ones to catch up on with my 5700xt.

H83 likes this.
  8. andawra

andawra Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTS 512
    You let both NVIDIA and AMD release their products and got a 5700XT LOL

Enjoying them terrible drivers much? Gonna be real enjoyable when Cyberpunk releases and you get 30-40% FPS less than Nvidia users enoying their crisp DLSS non-TAA experience

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I know it's best to see performance of both product line-ups, but, imho, early adoption is the way to go to maximise the benefits of a new card and having those benefits for the longest time possible.

If it looks good I'm not waiting. I got my GTX1070 from release, no regrets. For £420 I think I've maximised the benefits of this card and had my monies worth more so than those who bought it a year later (at same or higher price) after seeing what AMD had to offer. I finished my current build in 20/6/2016, so I'm looking at less than £100 a year to have this card. Not too bad imho.

Also, the 5700xt is a great performer for the money, you don't need to upgrade yet.

Maddness, Solfaur and cryohellinc like this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, it provides good performance per $. And if you have bad experience with driver, it is your own doing in 95% of cases. For remaining 5%, you can as well start being tiny bit objective after reading nV's driver section.
    And DLSS is yet to become crisp.

carnivore and cryohellinc like this.

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why you assume everybody will be playing the games you know? Got anything better in life to do than bait others? He even mentioned that not interested in upcoming titles.

There bunch of titles that perform better on AMD card. The comment is not about getting the best video card to play lolpunk1337 on, but for user specific use case.

You wanna throw money at Novidia, do it and enjoy your another "It just works" experience. There are others advanced users that do more with GPU than just game.... Or wait, you still on GTX8800 OMEGALUL.

Prince Valiant and cryohellinc like this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Ah, the smell of an ignorant fanboy in the air. Nice attempt to provoke me - bad luck brother, won't work so easily.

I don't only play at my pc, so for my use case, 5700xt is perfect right now.

Besides, re-read what I wrote " There are 0 upcoming titles I'm looking forward to " and yes - that includes Cyberpunk.
    The hype-train lot (you make a perfect case study example of it) have their expectations 10 times over what the game will most likely offer. I think it will flop and will be full of bugs at the release. Hence playable only year(s) after the actual release.

1070 was a great pick and I agree with you there, however, recent Turing release was full of all kinds of technical issues by itself (remember the constant VRAM issues that plagued some high-end card batches at the start).

-Tj- and mentor07825 like this.
  13. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I have a 5700xt like yourself, however, I'm looking to upgrade. Most likely get a high end Nvidia card and sell my 5700xt while the value is there to recoup some of the cost. Much like your belief, it's all about the use cases and I think I'd get more out of a Nvidia card. Also, I've been buying AMD since Radeon 7870 and I'd like to dip my toe in the other camp. The only thing is, rather than buying straight off the bat, I'm going to wait for reviews and then make an educated decision.

Maddness and cryohellinc like this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ It´s better to see what both have to offer instead of going for the one that releases first. Not to mention the prices will be better from both sides. I want to see Nvidia and AMD fighting for my money!

Maddness and mentor07825 like this.
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Couldn't agree more. This gen, in theory, should be more competitive as a lot is at stake. NVIDIA will most likely still lead in terms of the performance, but at least AMD will catch up feature-wise (addition of ray-traced features to their GPU lineup). So, in theory, we should get better competition in mid-range and definitely NVIDIA won't be able to pull off what they have made with Turing due to "drum roll" - lack of competition.

mentor07825 likes this.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    AMD are arriving late to the party, I can't, unfortunately, wait for their cards but realistically speaking Ampere cards are going to be annoyingly hard to source for those of us wanting to wait for reviews until we bite. Frustrating times ahead.

edit

Just to clarify; I plan on getting a big AMD GPU at years end but will not wait until both are released before getting Ampere.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If anything, I'd say having availability in October is a good thing. Buying something immediately tends to result in disappointment, even if you wait for reviews. That way you can see how much a product has matured. AMD has a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot on release day by having sub-par (if not outright bad) drivers, but when given enough time for patches, they start to get much more competitive.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I hope Inno3d has one lined up

Embra likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My biggest question/speculation is if nvidia will release the 3080Ti (or w/e they will call it) at the start, like they did with the 2080Ti, or wait till next year in case AMD has a good high-end card coming this fall. I so don't want to get burned by getting the top card now and have it outdated 6 months later (at likely the same-ish price)...

20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    NVidia knows well they have to get their new cards out months before both AMD and PS5 competition. They might be in trouble after they come out, price wise.