Bose Companion 5....

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Slam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, if you don't think enclosures play a big part in the sound of speakers, you're so wrong right there and it's not worth me conversating with you...

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    well if the box isnt a factor at all..then just set the driver on the floor and voila...Bose! :D

3. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    They're wrong on this one, because cabinet design plays a major role in the sound of speakers. Why would speaker company's all invest in cabinet design, sometimes even more than the drivers themselves lol...

regards,
    RagDoll.

4. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    its ok...ignorance is bliss :) i forgive them...they'll understand one day....education doesnt always stick with all of us...and thats ok. We need ppl like that too..:)

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    LOL, true and I agree :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

6. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    its like them trying to convince us that their S3 Virge/Voodoo 2 can outdo my 5850 and your 560 in all senses of the word :) :) it makes just as much sense :)

7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Yes sir I agree with you 100%

But we are talking about the tweeter, and based on my experience playing around with drivers and cabinets, there is no real difference between placing the tweeter with in a box, or without a box at all. For midrange and woofer however, the cabinet is one of the biggest factors that shape the sound signature of the drivers.

The main reason is, mid and low frequencies move much more air than high frequencies, and the the air movement inside the cabinet must be treated properly to make the right sound signature. This is done by using well designed cabinet. For tweeters however, they do not move much air in the cabinet. Also if you ever seen the back of tweeters, mostly they don't have holes like midrange or woofer. It means they do not move the air inside the cabinet.

[​IMG]

And what this with not worth having conversation with me? Seriously RD?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, yes it's ok, I don't mind having conversation with you... :) Tweeters also benefit from the enclosure/cabinet because they resonate and sort of ting or vibrate differently to woofers. A smaller cabinet for tweeters resonate at a higher pitch and thus provides better highs, it's true. That is why, the material used for the actual tweeters vibrates much faster and at a higher pitch.

regards,
    RagDoll.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    The problem with taking a tweeter and mounting it outside of the enclosure is that it simply pushes the diffraction effects further up in frequency, where the effect is less audible. (Due to Fletcher Munson curves.)

But as we both know, none of Bose's systems has a tweeter...unless you consider their satallites which technically some systems use such as tweeters LMAO:roll:

I'm no audio scientist, i'm not even an audiophile as I prefer specific coloration of sound and heavier bass...but I think some here...including anyone who defends Bose, don't realize how much the scienct behind audio can be pretty damn complex, especially once you factor in your room, reflections...etc. That stuff is for rich people imo and for most of us, it doesn't take a whole lot to make satisfying sound....But when were talking about a speaker set with 2 small satallites and a woofer that can't be called a subwoofer, a low powered amp and some circuitry to heavily cut/raise frequencies and badly color the sound and add funky virtual surround...well now your just getting yourself used to whats really bad sound, you could listen to the same source using a pair cheap of 6x9's and 50 watt amp and be amazed at the difference which is rather sad considering the cost of the afforementioned.

10. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Satellites are essentially mid sized tweeters, which are what the jewel cube satellites are in Bose systems. The small enclosure allows for better resonance for high frequencies than a large cabinet with a tweeter slapped in the middle of it. This is the reason so many companies see the benefit in satellites and also now create floorstanders with a sort of separate enclosure for the tweeter. It's all in their research. Are you saying that you've researched audio as much as B&W and KEF? LMAO

regards,
    RagDoll.

11. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    In your opinion. You left out that important part.

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    what ... satellites are full range not tweeters they are cheap excuses for speakers but they sell b/c women dont want huge speakers ( 6x9'') sized stuff in their living rooms. and ofc bose fanboys... :bang:

13. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    qft.

14. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I am what I eat.

But seriously...so every dude that owns satellite speakers is really a woman? Really? Wow...that will be a shocker for a lot of dudes.

15. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Put some time in thinking about how to make a video of my bose subwoofer that isn't a subwoofer. I know I can't record sound, because quality would be lost on my camera, then the compression on youtube. Then you would need a good set of speakers to even get the sound reproduce even halfassed right. So I shot a different angle on it.

1 set of bose companion 2.1's. Not even using my titanium platinum, just the nvidia audio out on my vid card hooked to my tv.

Yeah my bose suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK1M1ko-1uc&feature=youtu.be

16. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Nah, he was just making a gross generalization that home theater satellites often cater to an interior design aesthetic (although living space size is another issue). Followed by the gross generalization that women care about interior design aesthetics more than men.

I had to agree because my wife pulls that crap with me constantly. :bang:

Meanwhile, I certainly defend my use of satellites (and active monitors) at my computer desk for the "living space" issues. I just don't have the need or desire to run anything larger 6 inches from my face anyway...

dude, that sounded totally gay just now :wanker:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  17. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    no i put you guys in the fanboy group... :banana: plz at least read what i type.

18. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated

Really? you know what gay sounds like? What are you 10? If you read what I wrote and watched the video you would have realized it wasn't about sound quality.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  19. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    this is what always happen to bose threads
    the consistency is simply majestic

20. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Chill bro, I was making fun of myself.

I just don't have the need or desire to run anything larger 6 inches from my face anyway...

Yeah, it's a juvenile 10 year old kind of joke to make, I just figured some self deprecating humor would lighten the mood.

It clearly didn't.