Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    So over the last couple of weeks I've jumped in a few times to try different aspects of the new content to this game and my conclusion is that GBX have utterly ruined this game now.

Post Moxxi DLC I had a decent max level Amara build with a nice load out that left enough challenge for the game to be fun.

The first warning signs were when I tried the Hammerlock DLC. Nothing to shocking, new max level so required a few new weapons to take on the higher spec bad guys but the signs of trouble started to appear when I reached the Wendigo Boss. Let me be clear this wasn't a risky or tough boss but I still haven't beaten it. The reason is because it is a total engaging bullet sponge. Evene elemental spec weapons it's meant to be weak against did nothing. I ended up getting bored and quit opting to return to the main story line.

Well what I did is I fully quit completed Doom Eternal and then ploughed 3 weeks in to a new colony in Rimworld not giving B3 a second thought.

I came back a week or two ago to see what this new Mayhem / Cartel content was all about. Again prior to leaving build and load out was decent but not OP but now the game is just a clusterf*ck of total and utter non-sense. Regular chod for the most part seems to fall the same as before but their seems to be an unusual number of weirdly immune to everything bad guys but on top of that you now have enemies that spawn in at random that have weirdly unusual abilities and are total bullet sponges and on top of this the number of things going on on screen has reached just idiotic levels.

Last time I played I would kill a bad guy and some freeze ball nonsense would then spawn in and start homing in on me and keep following me exploding a constant freeze effect. Again no real risk just bloody annoying. I also decided to take on the Nog Boss, this boss I rinsed on M3 on may last play through in about 3 minutes or so, this time round I found that he had also become a total and utter bullet sponge. Not difficult or dangerous just bloody tedious.

I just quit out and this time round some random enemy jumped in to the middle of an already hectic fight. This guy had some spinning 'crypto shield' thing going on around them, was immune to all status effect weapons, had not one but two shield bars and was a total and utter bullet sponge and this is in the middle of a totally different fight I was already engaged with.

Now I don't know if this is as a result of the new Mayhem system, which I left unchanged and still at M3 or it's part of the Cartel content or if it's part of some other random weekly content or it's part of the constant tweaks buffs debuffs and general messing that GBX constantly seem to be doing to the game.

What I can tell you is that their is way way to much going on in this game now and that the game just isn't much fun any more.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    The Cartel fights can be really tough, haven't unlocked Mayhem but having a couple of guys in most encounters looking like these VR 1980's low-poly tech gear wearing gang members popping in plus one or two of these popping a teleporter on death spawning in more makes for a very tough fight.

One of these is usually a Bad Ass and there's a high chance of a equal level or higher fight against a boss that could be almost anything.

Got murdered by the power rangers last day when I popped one of these dudes and a rainbows worth of named bosses summoned in and proceeded to open fire, other than that entertaining little WTH though disabling the event could be useful because it's everywhere and the quest is recurring. Actual location and the RNG to which of the three gangs pops in and bosses is neat but the mansion is a slog and the boss seems to repeat with a low chance of some of the new legendary gear, really nice stuff if it drops but the grind and low chance means I've not done too many actual runs and the VR neon guys still spawn in regardless of whether you've collected the obligatory unlock items or not.

EDIT: Also Jacobs could have done with a heavy gun but eh Vladof is a neat alternative even if it often looks like a chaingun but works like a artillery piece with optional underbarrel extra boom thing of some design. :p

[​IMG]

The Jacobs Punt yeah it could have worked....bit small for the game though considering how much of the screen even the pistols take up heh.

Although since the shotgun crit is already blinding using a big punt gun type variant above even that would make normal vision impossible with their whole crit and awe (Or rather aww, I can't see.) thing.

EDIT: Bah the Calypso twins and character designs are what they are, deleted as I'm not a fan of them but oh well.

Maybe the DLC will have some better primary characters than those two. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    If you are doing anything else but Cartel, just disable the Cartel event before you start a game, there's a toggle for it (it is annoying yes).
    Once you've unlocked Villa Ultraviolet you can fast travel to it anyway so there's really no benefit in keeping Cartel content enabled outside.

Those randomly spawning in enemies are part of the Cartel event.

Also check your Mayhem modifiers, you can actually reroll them now and they stick which is a major improvement IMO.
    And you can do this via ingame menu now, no need to go back to Sanc 3.

I also found myself a bit weak at first but once you start getting new gear it gets better.
    However I must use an appropriate element weapon so keep swapping back and forth, can't really use any single one too effectively.

4. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I gave it another go, perhaps a bit ragey with my last post. I flipped the Mayhem mode up to M4 as this gave the bad guys a big head mode and a 100% critic hit buff and the connected elemental laser debuf didn't seem like much of an issue. Switched to the Wedding Invitation and started popping heads from range until I could grab some new gear. Ended up with a decent slime machine gun with 56 ammo clip, a really nice machine gun with a random status effect on reload and a shot gun called 'The Lab' that chews through bad guys and allowed me to switch back to up close and personnel combat.

I opted to redo The Wendigo fight and still think that it is a bullet sponging POS of a boss battle. Took me half an hour to beat that guy down and I ended up using all but 200 rounds of submachine gun ammo and in the end I got nothing for it. A scatter of blues, not a single legendary, nothing in the two chests just outside the layer either. Then twenty seconds along the next map I find one of Hammerlock's hunt targets, a Yeti. Takes me thirty seconds to kill it using The Lab it drops a legendary pistol and then I get a legendary rocket launcher in one of the two chests it's guarding.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    With very DLC and major event, Gearbox changes the weapons that are viable for higher mayhem levels.
    Currently some of the best are:

Yellow Cake, that drops from the bosses in Villa Ultraviollet.
    The recursion, that drops from General Traunt. (this one only works on builds that are specialized for it)
    Kaoson, that drops from Captain Traunt
    SandHawk, that drops from Katagawa jr.
    The anarchy, is a world drop in the 2nd DLC
    Hyperfocus XZ41, world drop
    Krakatoa, world drop
    The monarch, drops from Killavolt
    The Custman, world drop
    The Hellshock, drops from Gigamind
    The lob, drops from Graveward

Currently there is an event called Farm the World. Each week one planet gets increased drops.
    This week it's on Eden-6.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Gaige added back in as a playable hero yet?

7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    In relation to Gaige, I'm pretty sure they (the devs) said that there's not going to be any new playable characters added after the base game, and that Gaige was just a 'returning NPC' for a part of one DLC and that was it.

It's unfortunate for me, since none of the characters of BL3 keep me playing. I finished the game one time by myself, then played a little bit more in co-op with my cousin (helped him finish the game with his character too), then I pretty much stopped overnight, no interest. The main factor (albeit not the only one) is the characters. I don't like the playstyle of a single one of them enough to go "ok this is my main" and then go with that character for multiple playthroughs. I did finish the game with FL4K, he was alright, nothing mind blowing or that original, but alright. Then I tried all the others a bit, up to around Level 15 or so... couldn't do it, then quit. Never returned to the game since.

The biggest difference in BL2 was that I ended up with two main characters to play with, whom I equally enjoyed a lot for different reasons. Both Gaige and Axton, great gameplay, simple and fun. I finished BL2 around 4 or 5 times with each, had a blast with them every time (a few times were in solo play, a few others with friends in co-op). I do like the overall loot of Borderlands 3, or rather the 'design' of the loot per se, it's more refined than in BL2 overall; credits where due. But the biggest of irony - considering what type of games the Borderlands series is - is that what for me made BL2 in particular were the characters, the story, the map design and the music; beyond the weapons, the pew pew and the loot table. And BL3 for me failed on pretty much every single aspect, with the sole exception of the loot / itemization which I do like... but that's about it. The rest... meh. Did not enjoy the story, the campaign, the maps or even the returning characters that I found to be generally boring (mostly due to the story and the twins, and their dialogue), or even the music.

So why I'm typing this is because the only reason(s) for me to play BL3 again would be to bring back Gaige without changing her too much (or not at all, actually) from BL2, and/or to bring Axton. Or both. Or give me a new character that basically does the same as either Gaige or Axton did. Give me a big robot pet that is actually fun to watch fight around, or give me a big ass sentry that I can modify and place where I want. They're just playstyles I really enjoyed in BL2, and it's just lacking big time in BL3.

8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Oh that's nice that's where I am meant to go for the story line next. Currently working through Hammerlocks DLC though.

I don;t think their will be any new playables. What I read about it very early on was that they found that with BL2 it became very hard balance the new guys with the added level levels. From what I remember they increased the level cap on the existing characters which in turn made them less and less playable as they were never designed to take advantage of the higher levels or go up against the much higher bad guys. The new guys they released though were designed with the new level cap in mind which in turn meant that the older characters became unplayable.

Their intention this time round is to balance the enemy caps vs the player caps and abilities to try and keep the whole thing more balanced which goes a long way to explaining why the two cap increases have only added a couple of new levels and why they have been doing constant buffs, debuffs and tweaks to the character skill sets.

Then again who knows once the money dries up I fully expect GBX to suddenly find they can add a new character.... for the right price!

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The big head buff isn't tied to Mayhem 4 specifically, rather each modifier is ranked easy, medium, hard or very hard.
    Rank and amount of modifiers is based on your Mayhem level. (Big Heads is ranked Easy in other words it's a buff).
    You can also reroll them manually after setting mayhem level and they remain until you again reroll or change mayhem level.

Also it doesn't give you a 100 % crit boost but rather makes "heads 100 % larger for easier crits" ;)

I'm currently at M3, was briefly at M4 too but thinking I'll rather hop straight to M5 to have just one Hard modifier rather than two Mediums.
    Enemy health, shield and armor get a huge buff between M4 and M5 though so I'll want to gear up a bit first. IIRC between M4 and M5 these go from +800 % to +1500 %!

Btw as far as I remember old Mayhem mode had way lower buffs to enemy stats, M1 started at something like +25 % I think (now M1 is +100 % and so on).
    Might explain why you feel enemies are more bullet sponges than they were earlier.

However the random modifiers no longer roll direct debuffs for the player as they previously did, like reduced elemental damage etc. (and they no longer reroll each time you quit and restart the game or travel to a different map).
    Some modifiers may contain indirect debuffs though like the one where enemies become more and more resistant to the damage type they're attacked with.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Man, currently most annoying things for me is the bad performance, frame drops, spikes. Inventory lag, menu lag. Switch weapons lag, see new weapon (on the ground), looking at it -> LAG (loading stats from weapon). Seriously, game is several months on Steam and still not fixed...i wonder how is that even possible for an AAA game which has been on Epic over a year now!? And those basic things are still not fixed....latest post about upcoming fixes, 14th may, saying only that mayham causing performance and stabilty problems. Yeah right....
    I have absolutely no hope those annoying things will ever get fixed in this game.

Oh and it doesnt matter what settings i use, lowest, medium, mixed...its always the same over the place.

Last edited: May 20, 2020

11. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8GB
    try DX12 it fix my problem on my ryzen 5 2600

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Hm, i could try (later) but i seriously doubt it will change anything regarding my problems since im not the only one facing those.

Edit: No difference.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    My computer hard crashed (was getting too warm) and now my save is/was broken and had to use default settings, no way of getting around that, lol...now when i was back ingame, my bank was empty and all my items are lost now. Great.

Edit: Wow! Even my unlocks are gone from vip and shift, golden keys are gone, too! Wtf!!! I know these are stored in the profile.sav and there was a temp one from the crash, guessing the old one, but using this one didnt change anything, its like it never happened...
    And the game is crashing now "driver crash, need update drivers msg" with dx12 when using alt+tab often.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    So I went back to BL3, to try out the new Takedown at the Guardian Breach. But what a disappointment.
    Enemies are incredible bullet sponges, to the point where all fun is removed from the game.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    There's worse sponginess in some games but the patch notes kinda hinted at a sponge design philosophy for the game yeah. :D

Somewhere in this.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/397540/allnews/

That's a lot of health, bit less than before though. :D

Still need to slog through the video blogger bad villains of badness and actually clear the game before going into this little mode of scaling and exclusive loot and more scaling but eh eventually.

Patch fixed (?) the UI issues and slowness/lag/responsiveness from what I can see so it looks like resuming the game is now going to be possible. :)
    (Next DLC should drop on the 20th I think it was too plus whatever the current hotfixes are doing to the game and I guess this little event as well.)

EDIT: Oh well just have to apply more bullets I guess, easy enough. ~

Maybe I need to switch it up to Vladof a bit, they have some good design ideas. Bigger and more barrels.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020